Light Up The Darkness... Just finished a cool mod to my Safe!

Yes! It'd be cool to see how other people have done it. [grin]
Ask and ye shall receive. Old Christmas lights work well.

100_4917.jpg

How long of a string of lights is that?

Not sure. I strung it and then cut to length and terminated it. I put on an in-line switch because I didn't have a contact switch handy. I'll probably add one later. I connected it to the "golden rod" wire.

Why didn't you use the red/green/blue/yellow Xmas lights? [smile]

It looks great. Good work.

very nice your safe makes mine look like a hello kitty lunch box. thought the lights were a good idea but then I saw the peg board... never thought of that .

Hard-wire part of the string to stay on continuously... it'll be a ready-made goldenrod!

That's actually exactly what I do. I leave mine on 24/7 and figure it's the perfect goldenrod substitute.

That and you'd spend at least 5 hours trying to see if the contact switch worked or not. I never did figure out if the fridge light ever turns off or not [sad2]

This post made me laugh for a while. I remember trying to "see" if the light turned off in my fridge as a kid....

Ask and ye shall receive. Old Christmas lights work well.

100_4917.jpg

Which safe is that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Wow I've never seen a 3 year old thread be resurrected so seamlessly, like no one skipped a beat! [laugh]

I have to find some kind of simple lighting for my safe. Mine's all metal with no felt or anything on the inside so if I could find a little dome-type light with a magnet on the base, that'd be perfect.

Like Adam said Lowes does have the click on dome lights. In fact if you check Lowes and Home Depot you can find all kinds of lighting alternatives. I have a few in a sheet metal safe and some are pretty bright. They've come a long way since the cheesy small bulb ones that took like 4 batteries. LED puck style, xenon bulbs, etc.

I used to have a small under the cabinet style flourescent light mounted to the inside of one of mine. I used small screws and nuts to mount it and drilled a small hole for a wire so I could plug it in directly instead of using batteries.

ad30e712-5e61-6d06.jpg

Was trying to add some more storage room in the safe with these Velcro holsters and then thought I needed some light too.So I took 2 rope lights I had laying around threw a switch in line and came out with this

ad30e712-5e94-e96b.jpg
ad30e712-5ea7-5e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is mine:

A Stack-on safe.
73l258i.jpg

Without lights (flashlight shining in on it)
6sqwto7.jpg

With a 13" flourescent light. I find that it lights up more evenly than other lights as light is spread around the entire tube rather than directionally pointed with another type of bulb.
71po96b.jpg

Still need to hide the wiring
814grq9.jpg

I secured it by using pop rivets so it is very sturdy and a clean finish on the outside of the safe.
834oo5l.jpg

what model stack-on is that? I've been looking for something around that size.

are you guys doing the lighting in the safe so thats its just easier to find stuff, or to have light just incase you need to access it at night (ie. a burglary or something)

if its the second, i would install red lights. They wont ruin your night vision.

This post made me laugh for a while. I remember trying to "see" if the light turned off in my fridge as a kid....

Which safe is that? Thanks.

It's a Liberty Lincoln model. The lovely Beth got it for me one Christmas at Eastern security in Mendon.

Re; red lights. You do NOT want to be fumbling around trying to open a safe when something goes bump in the night. That is what quick access lock boxes are for. [wink]

Last edited:
It's a Liberty Lincoln model. The lovely Beth got it for me one Christmas at Eastern security in Mendon.

Re; red lights. You do NOT want to be fumbling around trying to open a safe when something goes bump in the night. That is what quick access lock boxes are for. [wink]
yeah i figured most of you guys probably have something smaller closer to the bed. I was just sayin for the people that dont, red is probably the way to go.

The intent of adding lighting inside my safe was not for the ability to see inside during a burglary/emergency. It was just so I could see inside in general [smile]

Here's my el-cheapo solution for lighting (and my new Liberty door organizer) in my Sentry EM1055EP safe. I basically have a few of these battery powered motion sensor lights hung from small screws. They are placed in such a way that you don't really see them when you open the safe (obscured by shelves).

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Light-Super-Bright/dp/B001LJKLT4/

Lots of ambient light...

safe.jpg

With the room lights off:
safe2.jpg

No comments of the emptiness of the safe please. That will be remedied soon enough. [smile]

Here's my el-cheapo solution for lighting (and my new Liberty door organizer) in my Sentry EM1055EP safe. I basically have a few of these battery powered motion sensor lights hung from small screws. They are placed in such a way that you don't really see them when you open the safe (obscured by shelves).

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Light-Super-Bright/dp/B001LJKLT4/

Lots of ambient light...

safe.jpg

With the room lights off:
safe2.jpg

No comments of the emptiness of the safe please. That will be remedied soon enough. [smile]

A safe in a safe... Does that get you a 180 minute fire rating? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom