LL Bean under construction in Mansfield

I stopped by the new Mansfield shopping mall construction site this morning. LL Bean is supposed to be one of the flagship stores.

I have no idea if the LL Bean building is in either photo. I did not see any signs or any store layout plans.

This is what the place looks like so far.

mansfield1.jpg

Another view of a different section.

mansfield2.jpg

I thought they still made "outdoor stuff".

Don't they have firearms on sale in the stores? That's what I heard, but I could be mistaken.

They used to sell real outdoor Maine gear and clothing at decent, but not discount, prices. They've gone upscale in the last 15 years, particularly with their clothing and prices, like Eddie Bauer. The main store in Freeport still has some outdoor gear at premium prices but even then it is mostly camping, hiking and water sports. I don't remember ever seeing any hunting or shooting equipment like Cabelas, let alone actual guns like KTP.

The Maine store has a pretty extensive hunting and fishing section. The place has gotten so big, you have to look for it.

You're right about the commercialization, though. As a child, we bought most of our hunting and fishing gear there. Now it's a great place to get an expensive couch and camping gear.

The Maine store has a pretty extensive hunting and fishing section. The place has gotten so big, you have to look for it.
Hunting and Archery section is in its own building which was formally the L.L. Kids building. Lots of upland hunting guns and only a few deer guns. The fly fishing section is as big as a Orvis Store. I bought one of my Hoyt bows and tree stands there for pretty decent prices. It may not be Cabela's but nobody else including Cabela's can touch L.L. beans guarantee.

L. L. Bean(s) is now more like L. L. Filenes, Kittery is now more like L. L. Beans was, but Cabelas is heaven!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Bean's prices on scopes and other accessories are actually pretty competitive. The firearms they sell (no handguns) are generally of the higher-priced variety.

A side note: I installed the wood flooring upstairs in the Hunting & Fishing store back a few years ago when it was the Kid's store.

When I was growing up in Bath, Maine we'd go to LL Beans in the middle of the night. (About 15 miles from home.) Even then they were open 24/7 but after midnight there'd be one old gentleman clerk "on duty." You'd climb up the stairs located outside the building, go in, and wake him up. Back then it was Maine made, quality stuff reasonably priced. Now sadly much of their stuff is imported and they carry the higher class name brands for BIG bucks. Their warranty is stil what old LL started; if you aren't satisfied, bring it back. I've seen people bring back hunting shoes I'd be ashamed to bring in; tattered, torn and just worn out and get them replaced. I think they've tightened up a little bit on that sort of thing now. Ther carry all kinds of hunting/camping gear and long guns but no handguns. Kittery Trading Post carries more handguns, both new and used, than I've seen elsewhere. But their prices are also no bargains.

L. L. Bean(s) is now more like L. L. Filenes, Kittery is now more like L. L. Beans was, but Cabelas is heaven!

Respectfully,

jkelly

That defines them in a nutshell.....along with most of their current clientele.

It's my understanding (from a clerk at LL Bean's in Burlington) that they will NOT sell ANYTHING to do with firearms or hunting (other than perhaps clothing) in a MA store!

We can hope he's wrong, but I really doubt it.

WHERE in Mansfield is this going up?

It may not be Cabela's but nobody else including Cabela's can touch L.L. beans guarantee.

you've got that straight.

I picked up a nice Sage fly rod there a few months ago.

I still shop at LL Bean. I get all my raggwool sweaters from LL Bean. They do have the best guarantee of any store around... And people take advantage of it, so the price of gear and clothes have reflected that.

Their boots are unparalleled to any other rubber boot out there. And the fact that when they wear out, you can have them resoled by sending them back for short money.

Also, their outdoor schools and clinics are great... and also very reasonable priced.

that they will NOT sell ANYTHING to do with firearms or hunting (other than perhaps clothing) in a MA store!

We can hope he's wrong, but I really doubt it.
Only the flagship store in Freeport sells anything gun related. None of the "Outlet" stores including the Freeport lower parking lot one sell gun stuff.

L.L.Bean never was a gun store

Most of Bean's stuff is at or near the "top of the line" -- with high prices just like the high-end stuff for sale at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Here's a great example. Bean and Cabelas both sell Danner "Pronghorn" insulated boots -- great boots (no doubt someone will write to say Danner is junk, what can you do).

Anyway, Cabelas wants $179, Bean $169.

Cabelas Pronghorns

Bean Pronghorns

Their fishing stuff is the same -- all top-end stuff, priced to compete.

No handguns at Bean, but Mass laws make us buy handguns from Carl at Four Seasons anyway (even if Kittery sells them, too).

Bean Hunting

Bean Fishing

Oh yeah, Bean and Cabela's both sell foofie stuff, too:

Cabela's foofie robe

Bean foofie robe

Last edited:
Beans is a great store and I’ve been going there since the 60s (I think). But I prefer Cabelas over Beans by a long shot now! Cabelas is more like “Beans on steroids” before Beans yuppiefied. Both have good “stuff”, Cabelas just seems to have much more of it.

Beans is a great place to take your girl friend shopping, IF, you want to take your girl friend shopping. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

It may not be Cabela's but nobody else including Cabela's can touch L.L. beans guarantee.

I've had one of their Maine Game Warden Parkas for years. Actually, I've had three as each time one wears out, rips, or whatever, they give me one of the latest versions. I had one that some nitwit burned a cigarette hole into. No squak from Bean, just a brand new coat.

Gary

Cabela's in East Hartford........Wonderful

Given the choice of any of the "big" sporting goods stores, Cabela's would be my choice hands down. Thank goodness they're building in East Hartford and will be open this year. They're already advertising for workers on their website. Hmmmm...

LL Bean is no longer the draw it once was. I like their stuff, ok, and yes, they have a good return policy but they have moved more into the yuppie clothing store area. They are also building a store in Manchester/South Windsor in Evergreen Walk. That place is a like a "disneyland" for shoppers....mostly women. It's a very up-scale shopping experience next to the Buckland Mall. My wife loves it. I could care less and I know that the LLBean store opening there will be 99% clothing.

Nope, Cabela's is the store for me from all aspects of sporting goods including their "gun library". They also buy firearms, too. The one in East Hartford is going to draw from hundreds of miles around. It's really a destination.

Rome

Given the choice of any of the "big" sporting goods stores, Cabela's would be my choice hands down. Thank goodness they're building in East Hartford and will be open this year. They're already advertising for workers on their website. Hmmmm...

LL Bean is no longer the draw it once was. I like their stuff, ok, and yes, they have a good return policy but they have moved more into the yuppie clothing store area. They are also building a store in Manchester/South Windsor in Evergreen Walk. That place is a like a "disneyland" for shoppers....mostly women. It's a very up-scale shopping experience next to the Buckland Mall. My wife loves it. I could care less and I know that the LLBean store opening there will be 99% clothing.

Nope, Cabela's is the store for me from all aspects of sporting goods including their "gun library". They also buy firearms, too. The one in East Hartford is going to draw from hundreds of miles around. It's really a destination.

Rome
You hit on some good points here. When Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's open a store some place they are the same as any of their other stores in size and intent. They are intended to be a destination unlike the L.L. Bean stores that are very much different than the flagship one in Freeport. The Bean outlet stores sell mostly discontinued ,returned and sale items. My wife and I are regulars at KTP and go to Bass Pro Shops in Sevierville,TN once every year. Both have great selection on guns and ammo but I can't bring myself to pay the extra 20%-40% more than Carl charges at FS. I've never been to a Cabela's but hope to someday even if its only to walk around.

I remember going to L.L. Bean's in Freeport with my dad in the 60's - climbing up the old wooden stairway, naked bulbs hanging from the ceiling, and hundred of wooden bins with low-priced treasures.

Now it's gone Hollywood....

The main focus is casual clothes, and housewares. The "outdoor sports" stuff that started it all, has been conveniently shuttled over to another building where it won't scare the "normal" customers.

I like the Bean quality, and still buy there, but give me Cabela's anytime. They haven't lost the outdoorsman focus that got them where they are today.

READY FOR THAT BUS RIDE TO E. HARTFORD WHEN YOU ARE!!!!

You've got that right. I'm confident that there are already trips planned by groups of guys just waiting to visit East Hartford.

I've been to at least one of all the big stores; Cabela's, Bass Pro, LL Bean, Orvis in Manchester VT, KTP (many times) etc. I must say that the Cabela's impressed me the most.

Last Summer we were driving through PA and my wife pointed out the big Cabela's in Hamburg, PA right off the interstate. She begged me to take the time to visit it. I wanted go get home but I obliged her (what a gal) and we pulled in. Honest go God, I told her that all I wanted to do was walk through it to get a feel for what we could expect. A full twenty minutes later we finally made it back to the entrance. It's that big. Merchandise is well organized and displayed, plenty of gun stuff, more fishing (especially fly-fishing) stuff than I can ever recall seeing in one place, hunting dog stuff, clothing of all kinds, huge displays of fish (almost as good as Mystic) and of course "the mountain". They had a few static displays, actually. It is truly a destination. You will NOT go there for a small bag of sinkers and get out of there without poking. And that's not to mention the not one but TWO restaurants on the open upper levels. Gosh.

If you've never been in a Cabela's then you are in for a major treat. Be sure to wear good walking shoes and not be in a rush. It's also a good idea to hand your credit card to your partner and you'll hold his! LOL It's much more than huge super-sporting goods store. It really is a place to go an wander around. Sure, they're into this to sell merchandise but you can go there, poke around, visit, eat, and gawk and feel that it was time well spent.

Hope to see some of you here when you come! It'll be a great meeting place for sure, especially at the restaurants.

Rome

READY FOR THAT BUS RIDE TO E. HARTFORD WHEN YOU ARE!!!!---USMA-82
I can see the head line now! “Gun running terrorists stopped at the MA/CT line” with a picture of USMA-82 cuffed, sitting in the back of a cruiser, with a display of his newly purchased reloading supplies on the cruiser’s hood.

I think I’ll just sneak over the line by myself thank you.
(This was not posted by me!)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom