Long Range Rifle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said PatMcD. In fact, I have a Rock River Varmint A4 AR with 18" heavy stainless barrel, and it is completely stock from factory, and will shoot easy 1/3 MOA (tested from within a rest). Not saying I can shoot that well, but the rifle sure can, and it loves 69gr, 75gr, and 77gr ammo, no feeding problems. Very economical to feed that beast, and you don't have to do anything, just order it off of the RRA website and you are all set. They also make longer-barreled ones as well, and ordering is simple, they will ship to FFLs like AFS. My friend has the same Rock River Varmint A4 in .308 with 26" barrel (still heavy stainless) and his rifle is also unbelievably accurate. I am probably going to eventually pick one of those up too.

I posted a link to this at Sniper's Hide, and they are laughing their butts off at the .50 recommendation. Those people actually know what they are talking about.

The .50BMG has it's place, if money is no object. To me, it's practicality starts at 1000yds.

If you are going to have one rifle, my opinion (which is just that) is to go with 223 or 308. Economical and practical and certainly capable for mid-range distances. If you are lucky enough to have multiple rifles, you should feel free to experiment and get whatever you fancy. If you are truly going long distance, then larger calibers might make sense practically. Whatever you end up doing, make sure you are responsible and having a good time. Not much else matters at the end of the day.

I posted a link to this at Sniper's Hide, and they are laughing their butts off at the .50 recommendation. Those people actually know what they are talking about.

Does it make you feel better posting this at Sniper Hide? Care to share the link?

This thread would probably be better if you had not disrailed it with your .50 FUDDery.

The .50BMG has it's place, if money is no object. To me, it's practicality starts at 1000yds.

Why do you folks always have to bring money into this discussion? The OP stated that he WANTS to get out to 1000 yds.and IIRC the closest ranges for that are Quantico and the 1000 yd. Benchrest in Ohio. With Quantico only open for the FCSA matches.Our 82A1 does very well at 500 yards and we had the .416 out yesterday at 200 yds. with 5 people who had never shot a VHP rifle. All 5 really liked it and mentioned that the recoil wasn't nearly as bad as what they had imagined.

Why do you folks always have to bring money into this discussion? The OP stated that he WANTS to get out to 1000 yds.and IIRC the closest ranges for that are Quantico and the 1000 yd. Benchrest in Ohio. With Quantico only open for the FCSA matches.Our 82A1 does very well at 500 yards and we had the .416 out yesterday at 200 yds. with 5 people who had never shot a VHP rifle. All 5 really liked it and mentioned that the recoil wasn't nearly as bad as what they had imagined.
I mention money because it matters to me. I personally couldn't afford to own a .50BMG. Not for the use I would get out of it.

I own a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a 20" heavy barrel in .308. It's a great gun, far more accurate than I am with it. At the distances you are talking, the 700 would be fine.

With Quantico only open for the FCSA matches.

Quantico is not only open to FCSA matches. The Quantico Shooting Club hosts many shooting matches there to include a number of NRA Long Range HP matches.

Although I am not particularly knowledgeable about FCSA, how competitive is your M82? Are not most of the competitors shooting custom BR .50 cal rigs? My understanding it that the M82s are not particularly accurate when compared to other BR style .50 cals.

B

I'm new to this site and did follow a link here from Snipers Hide. No I'm not a Sniper and have no ambitions or pretend to be one but that site is one that has lots of info on long range shooting which is what we enjoy. I just love hitting small targets way out there with guns that most don't think are capable of doing it.

Like others I agree with a 223 or 308 being a great round to go with for the distances the OP is wanting to shoot. If you also check out a 260 Remington is one of the more popular and nearly ideal rounds for matches out to 1000 yards. Great selection of bullets, easy to load for and extremely accurate. Actually a 22LR is a great round to shoot out to the 300 yards you have available and beyond. It's great practice for developing good technique and learning to read and correct for wind.

There are two 1000 yard ranges here in Ohio but only one will allow you to shoot the 50BMG and I don't think Tom allows it to be shot at the steel plates at TVP. Tom Rayner at Rayners only allows up to a 338 due to target damage. Recommending a 50 for a new shooter is so far out there I can't imagine anyone even considering it for a new shooter. Most ranges won't allow it and when they do it won't be allowed to shoot any steel plates even at extended distances. Personally I'd have recommended a Savage in 223 or 260 since he'll be shooting at close targets and even then both rounds can be used for much farther matches or range sessions.

Just to show you don't need a 50BMG or 338LM or anything even close to that to compete to 1000 yards myself, my son and a close friend compete at the local 1000 yard matches with bolt action pistols with 15" barrels chambered in 260 and have no problem with the steel plates (15" and smaller" out to 1000 yards. With the long distance game it's not always the size of your tool but how you use it.

There are places and matches the bigger calibers work much better but 300 yards????? Yes they are big, they are loud and get everyone's attention when they rattle the roof but for precision shooting at most matches out to 1000 yards they are so far overkill and really not nearly as accurate they aren't even considered around here to compete with. Like someone else mentioned the 50's, 338's and others with similar ballistics don't come into their own until 1000 yards. Tom Sarver at TVP has an ELR (Extended Long Range) match where they start at 1000 yards and go to 2400 yards which is where those big blasters can be turned loose and let run.

I hope the OP took all the recommendations and chose a gun that more suits his needs and one he can enjoy shooting accurately. All that money NOT spend on an expensive gun or ammo will be put to better use in more quality range time sending rounds downrange.

Topstrap

This thread would probably be better if you had not disrailed it with your .50 FUDDery.

What actually DERAILED (spelling) it was:

50 BMG rifle is good for a beginner because it is fun and precise.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in 2012, I spit my drink all over my work computer when I read that. Thanks to you have I now have a new keyboard, so good show!

I have fired several BMG 50's and it is awesome !!! For 1000 yds which I have never shot (YET) I say a bmg 50 or a lapua 308.

Forbes in ny has a 1000 yard range and hosts multiple matches per year. If you want to shoot Palma you have to shoot .223 or .308 (and that's it as far as I know.)

Though they are undeniably fun, I don't think any serious long range competitors shoot 50BMG.

When I really want to shoot long distance, I use my M1A Abrams. I mean, I can't believe no one has recommended it yet, but it is THE PERFECT THING FOR A BEGINNER (and 3 of his friends to serve as crew). I mean, there really isn't any recoil as far as I can tell inside the turret with auto-stabilization and my headphones, and that thing can shoot to 1000 yards "out of the box" according to Uncle Sam. If any FUDDs come along to bitch about how I just flattened all the benches, I just pop smoke, hit the .50 (WOOHOO, love .50!!!), and quickly make for the parking lot, crushing anything in my way. That'll teach those pesky sissy bastards and their concerns about "metal plate damage".

And the thing is very very accurate. I mean, I'm not sure what kind of groups I'm getting as I can never actually find the target, or the target frame, or even the berm... But I assume it must be grouping 3" at most, but more likely it holds 1/4" out to 5000 yards with factory ammo. There are a couple of permits and a waiting period, but no biggie. If you are interested, I can bring mine into your house... errr... I mean over your house... errr... I mean up to your house, and then we can go to your gun range and get you banned in no time. Then perhaps I could set you up on a payment plan?

Just to show you don't need a 50BMG or 338LM or anything even close to that to compete to 1000 yards myself, my son and a close friend compete at the local 1000 yard matches with bolt action pistols with 15" barrels chambered in 260 and have no problem with the steel plates (15" and smaller" out to 1000 yards. With the long distance game it's not always the size of your tool but how you use it.

You may not need a larger caliber but is just as much fun if not more.

What actually DERAILED (spelling) it was:

The 3/4'rs of your post which got you the .50 FUDD tag;

.50 would be a terrible idea, especially for a beginner. The cost alone for ammo is prohibitive, not to mention finding it. In this state, that rifle is a lame duck. The recoil would basically make it hard for you to learn to become a good shooter, it would annoy the hell out of anyone next to you on the range (if the range even allowed it due to noise pollution), you might get kicked out for busting up their metal targets, you'd shoot it 10x before your shoulder hurt, plus you'd be out of money, plus your friends would shoot it 1x and then refuse to come with you. Plus it weights a ton. But you'd look cool.

A .308 or even a .223 bolt action is the way to go. Ammo is available everywhere, in every gun store and even sporting stores. It isn't horribly expensive. The recoil is nothing. It won't annoy people at the range, plus all rifle ranges will allow it. It won't bust up the metal targets. Your friends will enjoy shooting it. And you won't look like an idiot shooting your .50 at 100 yards.

A year ago, I was with my .308 LTR shooting at the 100 yard range. Bunch of guys showed up with a .50 Barrett. They put a short log out at 100 yards standing vertical and put some clays on it. They then spent the next 30 minutes shooting at it and hooting and hollering. I had no idea what they were shooting at, as none of the clays broke on the log, and the log didn't fall over. So finally after about an hour I went over (kindly declined offer to shoot the .50, possibly killing someone two miles away while possibly detaching my retina), and asked what they were shooting at. They told me they were shooting at the log but "the bullets are soooo big and sooo fast they are passing through the log".

I almost died inside.

So I told them that wasn't possible (having shot many things made of wood before, but I won't incriminate myself). They insisted it was hitting the log and passing through because "it is soooo powerful." I told them to hold on a minute, 1 shot. I walked over to my .308, aimed at a clay on the log, shot it, broke the clay, and the log tipped over.

Most likely with the down angle on the rail and god knows how they had scope set up (cheapo scope, which was hilarious on an 8K gun), those rounds were over the berm. And just flying out to god knows where behind the range, luckily all wooded (except for that occasional house).

Not saying .50 isn't awesome, but that is more of an expert's tool, something you get after years of shooting, and something you don't expect to shoot much, or perhaps not at all. And not something that makes sense in MA. Even if you lived in AZ or someplace, I'd tell you to get a .338 because that is far more useful and affordable, and basically does everything you need. Do not get a .338 here, you will be wasting your money.

BTW, will you post the link to the sniperhide thread where you posted about my recommendation of a .50 rifle? Thank you.

I have fired several BMG 50's and it is awesome !!! For 1000 yds which I have never shot (YET) I say a bmg 50 or a lapua 308.

And it is even more awesome to be precise with one. [wink]

Forbes in ny has a 1000 yard range and hosts multiple matches per year. If you want to shoot Palma you have to shoot .223 or .308 (and that's it as far as I know.)

Though they are undeniably fun, I don't think any serious long range competitors shoot 50BMG.

I'll take a look at the Forbes range. Thank you.

There are a whole group of long range competitors who have many matches every year. They are the FCSA.

When I really want to shoot long distance, I use my M1A Abrams. I mean, I can't believe no one has recommended it yet,

We're working on one. Haven't found one in the USA for sale to a private person.

Frankly if I had the funds to shoot .50 as a long range rifle I would be all over it, there are places to shoot 1000 yards in new england they just are not at your local gun club since most are designed for the guys that show up once a year and take maybe 3 shots. if you have the money to afford a .50 finding a place to shoot it is not normally a problem as you know plenty of land owners that will let you shoot on their private property. sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me

restrictor plates make the cars more even in terms of performance, so it comes down to driver performance vs vehicle performance, I would assume that is the reasoning behind the palma rules, by limiting caliber it comes down to the operator of the firearm more.

I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in .223 with the heavy barrel, when I got back into shooting, and then mounted it on a Bell and Carlson A5 aluminum bedded stock, that thing was a tackdriver!! It cost me around 700 altogether including the factory remington scope that wasn't too bad out to 300yds.
When I decided to go up to .308 I bought the M1A. I had to sell the rifle and an AR to get it but it made three people very happy.
You could also have Mel over at www.snipercentral.com build one for you if he's still doing that.
just my 2cents..
next up bolt action .308

Last edited:
Seems like we've had a lot of these noob shooters looking to learn how to shoot on a .50 lately. I wonder where they get this stuff.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...commendation?p=2267642&viewfull=1#post2267642

Learning long range on a .50 just makes me think some people have more cash than they know what to do with haha. But I can't pass up an opportunity to play with one for a day and put some rounds downrange.

I will definitely be going with a Remington 700 in .308 and looking to see who has the 700P LTR but they don't seem to be plentiful around here. The XCR Long Range Tactical is also tempting, but a bit more money.

I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in .223 with the heavy barrel, when I got back into shooting, and then mounted it on a Bell and Carlson A5 aluminum bedded stock, that thing was a tackdriver!! It cost me around 700 altogether including the factory remington scope that wasn't too bad out to 300yds.
When I decided to go up to .308 I bought the M1A. I had to sell the rifle and an AR to get it but it made three people very happy.
You could also have Mel over at www.snipercentral.com build one for you if he's still doing that.
just my 2cents..
next up bolt action .308

I estimated having one built out how I want it (including a storm case) will run me about $3k so I am a little hesitant on that along with the 3-4 month build time I think it is right now. I think I will start with a 700 from the factory, start learning and maybe come next winter order one so it is ready for spring time if I decide to go that route.

There is an awesome rifle for sale on this site's classified, built by a guy who runs a sniper site. Looks pretty nice and I'm sure the guy will back up the accuracy, and the price is solid.

BTW, last weekend I was out shooting 500 yards with my .223 AR from Rock River, and having absolutely no problem hitting a groundhog-shaped (and sized) metal plate at 491 yards consistently, in wind. I love that gun. My .308 Remington had not problem hitting it either, and of course made a much larger impact. Both rifles easily reached out there, I think I needed 12 MOA windage adjustment to get the .223 out there, and 3.7 mils for the .308.

I'm going to try to see if I can get my .17 HMR to hit out there, but the scope on that is some POS $250 so I think it will be doubtful. Should be hilarious either way. Probably scope doesn't have enough windage adjustment tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom