• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long range rifle suggestions...

Hey guys,

I'm gonna sell my Bushmaster AR to get nice long range rifle. Any suggestions on one, and some suggestions on scopes also... thanks. I don't really want a "beginner" rifle to practice with, just something that's pretty nice that I can hold onto. I was thinking something that would be accurate at over 2-3 hundred yards

.308 is probably one of the more common/popular 'long range' calibers (not to mention the availability of milsurp). The Remington 700 is pretty popular, and is one of those platforms with a shitton of aftermarket goodies, so if you start with an inexpensive used rifle that isn't exactly what you're looking for (or, as you get further into LR shooting, you decide something better would work for you), chances are you can change your rifle up without much of a problem.

ETA: 2-300 isn't all that "long range". If the damn things would stand still, I could hit a squirrel at 200 with my 10/22. A varminter-type upper for the AR, along with some glass, would probably do you just fine for 2-300.

Your Bushmaster should be plenty accurate at 300 yards.

With hand loads I am getting under .5 inch groups at 200m with a Savage 12FVSS .308 and 178gr Amax bullets.

Keep the Bushmaster and look into a Heavy Barrel Savage in 308 if you want more bullet.

My opinion anyway.

pretty much what atmay said. You could shoot at 2-300 yards all day with your AR, but if your looking to get a bolt gun .308 would be a good choice. A remington 700, winchester model 70, or a savage would suit you well for that purpose. They're all good guns, just a matter of personal preference. As far as glass, it's all a matter of what you want to spend, but I can't say anything bad about leupold. Good luck with your choice.

I'm looking to do the same but I'm going with a 20" varmint AR upper with some nice glass on it. Then I get to keep my AR and it becomes a more diversified weapon and cheaper.

Since I got the Sig556, I haven't even touched the Bushy...so the general consensus is to get a new upper in .308 and a scope...now what's a trusted website for ordering?

I know the AR should be good up to 2-300 yards...I forgot to mention that I would eventually like to try even longer ranges.

Long range

I picked up this beauty from our very own rifle manufacturer Savage Arms. It received outstanding reviews from Shooting times as well as other experts who review new items that hit the market. Has a ten round magazine, over sized bolt handle, free floating barrel, and the new Savage patented bedding system.
Go to www.savagearms.com and go to law enforcement section. it also comes in 300 win mag.

I also have a DPMS AR platform rifle with a heavy target barrel in 308. I guess I am old fashion, I think bolt action rifles are more accurate. But heck, do what I did. Buy both[smile][smile]

Last edited:
Ditto on a .223 being plenty good at 300y. Put on a fast twist barrel to stabilize the long, low-drag bullets and you are good beyond 600y.

If you are serious about being able to hit a basket ball at 600+, then Savage in .308. With their quality and that floating-head bolt they've got the best out of the box accuracy for anything close to the money. Yes, the Rem-700 is like a Chevy small block, with a zillion aftermarket items available, but there's probably a reason for that. Like, why do most serious 700 owners change the extractor? I keep hearing Remington's quality isn't what it used to be.

Savage 10FP in .308 or .223

[smile]

that said, i've done decent shooting with my white oak service rifle upper up to 200 yards with iron sights.

definatley check out Savage Arms as they are very accurate out of the box.

i love my savage [rockon]

buy my savage. .300 win mag is plenty good out beyond 700 yards

300 win mag can be accurate out past 1200yds, but, it's like a 6.5x284....it's a barrel burner. if you plan to do any serious amount of shooting, you'll probably be replacing the barrel every 1k-1200 rounds to keep them at MOA accuracy.

.223 can reach out to 1k with the proper ammo. you do suffer in the wind a bit. .308 is a good choice, but the heavy bullets cant be driven AS fast, and typically fade after 1k or so yds. if I had to build a long range rig right now, it'd be one of the 6mm variants (6BR, 6Norma, etc), or .260rem/6.5x284 if i planned on rebarreling regularly.

all depends. what's "long range" to you? my mag length ammo (75gr HPBT goin ~ 2760FPS) will hold the X-ring @ 300yards if i do my part.

For glass I am looking at Nighforce when I can scratch up the scratch. My new Rem 700 is waiting for glass, might have to get something more affordable - Personally I think glass is very important, and you can get the savage for less money and the trigger is better out of the box than the Rem 700's - might let you spend more on glass. I love all my Leupold scopes and they have many that are great for the 200-700 yds.

I don't really want a "beginner" rifle to practice with, just something that's pretty nice that I can hold onto. I was thinking something that would be accurate at over 2-3 hundred yards

If you don't want to get a beginner rifle, then get a rifle with a custom barrel like a Krieger, Hart or other manufacturer. You can get a high end barrel for an AR, but bolt guns are inherently more accurate.

B

If you don't want to get a beginner rifle, then get a rifle with a custom barrel like a Krieger, Hart or other manufacturer. You can get a high end barrel for an AR, but bolt guns are inherently more accurate.

B

normally, i'd agree with you, but a mutual friend of ours has a real nice custom built M40A3. the original barrel on it was a factory remingtom stick, and with all sorts of load development, he got the rifle to print 0.164" center to center @ 100yards (5shot group....thats under 1/8th MOA people).

barrels like that are a crapshoot. the new barrel (satern or kreiger, i forget) has shot well, but not THAT good.

Just about any factory center-fire bolt rifle will qualify as a long-range rifle (as you describe), as most will group around 1MOA at ranges you specify. To me, scope shooting gets boring, though: put cross-hairs on target, pull trigger, target is hit.
Master the AR's you already have.

where do you guys find these savage .308 riffles? I have not seen them around. Not at fourseasons,dicks,basspro,and a few other of my local gun shops.

are you shooting targets or game? is this a SHTF sniper? that could play a major role in the choice of a .50 BMG a .308 or something in a "varmint" caliber

You've received a lot of good advice and I can't add much. I have bolt,semi auto and full auto rifles in 5.56 and .308 and all would be fine at the range you want to shoot. I have the most fun shooting at that distance with rifles from the 1800's in .38/55,.45/60 and .45/70.

normally, i'd agree with you, but a mutual friend of ours has a real nice custom built M40A3. the original barrel on it was a factory remingtom stick, and with all sorts of load development, he got the rifle to print 0.164" center to center @ 100yards (5shot group....thats under 1/8th MOA people).

barrels like that are a crapshoot. the new barrel (satern or kreiger, i forget) has shot well, but not THAT good.

I have a Winchester Varmint rifle that has a very good barrel. It was accurate but rough. So I fire lapped it and now it's accurate for more rounds before the copper builds up. You can get lucky and get a great barrel from the factory, but the chances are much higher if you get a custom aftermarket.

B

Back
Top Bottom