• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a long distance range

I’ve tried searching the forums but am not having much luck. I am looking for somewhere to shoot long distance (500 or more yards) in Massachusetts. I live on Cape Cod and understand I’ll have to travel I’m just not sure what’s available and open to the public or a club with no volunteer hours. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I’ve tried searching the forums but am not having much luck. I am looking for somewhere to shoot long distance (500 or more yards) in Massachusetts. I live on Cape Cod and understand I’ll have to travel I’m just not sure what’s available and open to the public or a club with no volunteer hours. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I’m up on the north shore but I thought New Bedford Rod and Gun has a 500 yard range?

After that there’s Reading (600 yards) but you’ll probably be waiting a while to get in

There is no 500+ yd range thats open to the public. Your going to have to join a club. Nashua F&G , Redding Rifle , and Pelham all have excellent 600 yd ranges. I belong to Pelham, if your serious about joining id be happy to give you a full tour .

New Bedford rifle range in North Dartmouth on woodcock rd. Rifle ranges out to 500 hundred yards. Pay initiation and annual membership fee. No work requirement. Can be crowded on weekends.

I’m up on the north shore but I thought New Bedford Rod and Gun has a 500 yard range?

After that there’s Reading (600 yards) but you’ll probably be waiting a while to get in
Hi guys, any luck with the long range search in MA? I'm in Taunton and am a member of the Taunton Rifle Club and we do have several 100 yard and 1 x 300 yard range but once I qualify for the 300 and get some practice in I'm looking for a 500 - 1000 yard range to see how I do. Thank guys!

Hi guys, any luck with the long range search in MA? I'm in Taunton and am a member of the Taunton Rifle Club and we do have several 100 yard and 1 x 300 yard range but once I qualify for the 300 and get some practice in I'm looking for a 500 - 1000 yard range to see how I do. Thank guys!

See post #5

I'd look at Granby. I thought it was north but I guess it's out by Quabbin Reservoir. You can shoot out to 1000 yards and it looks like its pretty easy to join.
That's where I'm gonna sign up.
Wonder what the crowds are like on the weekends there?
Anyone that shoots there id love to know details.

Granby member here. I'm not certed to shoot 1000 yet. It's also an extra yearly fee. Never Really crowded, usually 1 or 2 of the pistol pits are in use. Usually someone is on the long rifle range, there's a schedule on the site that dictates if the lower or upper firing line has priority. I'v also gone and not seen a single other person. Just depends on the day and weather.

Granby member here. I'm not certed to shoot 1000 yet. It's also an extra yearly fee. Never Really crowded, usually 1 or 2 of the pistol pits are in use. Usually someone is on the long rifle range, there's a schedule on the site that dictates if the lower or upper firing line has priority. I'v also gone and not seen a single other person. Just depends on the day and weather.
Are weekends relatively quiet there?
I kinda wish they had more photos on the website of what the rifle firing line looks like.
How many benches do they have? What type of target do they have and at what ranges?

Last edited:
Are weekends relatively quiet there?
I kinda wish they had more photos on the website of what the rifle firing line looks like.
How many benches do they have? What type of target do they have and at what ranges?
Weekends are probably more busy, just based off people not having work.

There's a covered shooting line with a bunch of concrete tables and some chairs. Nothing fancy. There's an assortment of barricades things like that. There's target boards at 100, 200, 300, 350. Sometimes there's steel up, sometimes it's all shot down. The longer shooting line is all steel no target boards.

The "pistol" bays are bare. Bring everything basically. There's giant wooden spools, but I find them to far up range most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom