Looking for some help joining a GC on the South Shore

the_shootist

Banned
Hi all,

I'm spending a lot of time on the South Shore and am looking for some recommendations for a good gun club to join. I'm a former member of Mass Rifle in Woburn, which was an excellent place to shoot. Because I'm not on the North Shore much any more it seemed impractical to renew my membership there.

I would like some feedback from members of some clubs close to the Milton area. The more personal experience you have about your club, good or bad, the better.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Oh, did I mention that NES rocks?

Best check the links on the GOAL website for affiliated clubs. It should give you some info to chase down what the clubs have for facilities. A lot depends on what you are looking for in a club besides location.

If you are a member of GOAL, read the info on the various gun clubs in The Outdoor Message to get a flavor for the personalities in the clubs that use it for their newsletter.

Canton has a club - haven't been on their site for many years but it didn't look like they had much there.

Braintree R&P - great club, best indoor range in the state, paper targets only at fixed distances is the only down-side. I've been a member for 9+ years, great bunch of people (all ethnicities, races, women-friendly, etc.), coffee pot is always on and satellite dish TVs, lots of helpful shooters hang out here and are more than willing to help folks with questions/problems. www.brp.org

Westwood Gun Club - NES held a shoot there. Check for pictures of the car shoot.

Massapoag in Sharon - basically a skeet/trap club with registered matches all the time.

Sharon F&G in - club management focuses on skeet/trap (but good place to learn as it's casual), outdoor range limited to handgun and rimfire rifle only.

There are a bunch of clubs in Millis/Milford area, don't know anything about them, but check The Outdoor Message.

Recommend BRP

I am a new shooter and new member of BRP, been there about three weeks now. I can't say enough good things about my experience here so far. _Everyone_, both members and officers have been extremely helpful and willing to put aside what they were doing to answer my questions or show me if necessary.

As LenS mentioned, the facilities are nice. The new indoor range has a really nice ventilation system and is clean. I do find the indoor ranges are a little on the warm side, but I'm getting too fat so it can only help me. Both indoor and outdoor ranges have plenty of stations to shoot from, so getting a spot is never a problem.

If you'd like to take a tour of the place, I'd be happy to walk you around sometime. My knowledge of the place might be a little limited but I'm sure if there's something I can't answer someone there will be able to.

Well pilgrim (my John Wayne imitation....I know, keep my day job) ....it looks like BRP deserves serious consideration based on the feedback of some of NES' finest members. I've already printed the membership application (I don't meander a whole lot) :)

Thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:
As LenS mentioned, the facilities are nice. The new indoor range has a really nice ventilation system and is clean. I do find the indoor ranges are a little on the warm side, but I'm getting too fat so it can only help me.

I have a funny story to add here. BR&P has central A/C in the new clubhouse. I joined in January, so the indoor range was quite comfy. The first hot day I was there, I go into the indoor range and it is very hot. I came back out and asked some of the club members if the A/C was turned off or broken in the indoor range. With a smile, they told me . . . it's not air conditioned!

Truth be told, the HEPA filtration system turns over the air so many times/hour that A/C would be prohibitively expensive in that range.

I will be at BR&P on Monday 7/14, meeting an NES member at 5PM, then staying for dinner and the meeting. I can also show you around before the meeting (starts at 7PM) if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom