Looking into shooting service rifle NRA/CMP

mac1911

NES Member
Ok been reading over some of the info @ NRA web site and have a few questions
1. I did not come across this info thus far. Do you need to joing and or sign up for NRA service rifle or do you find a service rifle match and just shoot and go from there.
2. Can scores shot at a CMP "clinic" be counted twards your qualification ?
3. I hope to shoot the first match thats closest to me in 2012, I live in kingston mass
4. where do you start with shooting coats ? Im a lefty and have yet to meet any lefty @ 170ish pounds with a coat/jacket to try ?

All matches simply require you to sign up at the match. NRA has changed their membership requirements and I believe it is only required to set national records. It use to be that you had to be a member to participate in a Registered match, but they dropped that last year or so. The CMP has no membership, other than club membership and membership is not required.

CMP and NRA are two separate organisations. NRA has a classification system for division of awards, but the CMP does not. For the most part, shooting CMP Service Rifle is limited to three matches a year and the National Trophy Matches at Camp Perry. Most Service Rifle shooters shoot both.

When you say qualification, do you mean proof of marksmanship activity for the purchase of CMP rifles?

For jackets, you can look at:

Champions Choice
Creedmoor Sports
Champions Shooters Supply

Don't go too cheap on the jacket. The Champion's Choice codura coats are about $200 and is a nice jacket. You want to wear it over a sweatshirt. Best to go to a match and ask around to try one on. You might luck out and someone will be ditching one, but lefty is always going to be tough.

B

Don't do that. If you're a lefty, and left eye dominant, shoot lefty. Scores will suffer otherwise. You can learn to shoot righty, but you may find it uncomfortable and unfamiliar for a longggggggg time. You'll improve faster if you're comfortable.

Check the nationalmatch.us forums...there's always used coats coming up for sale on there. Otherwise, show up to a match. See what its all about. Ask around....I guarantee someone will let you borrow some gear to try it all out.

yeah I may just stay on the RH side for ease of equipment

unless im shooting with 2 eyes open im equal on each shoulder nothing feels un natural. Many many many years of my dad telling me Im on the wrong side of the gun made me shoot just as well RH vs LH. Now as far as trap shooting or downing birds LH is my 1st choice. Seems the only left handed gear I find is several inches +/- in size.
A quick measurement puts me @ 39" under the arms around the chest.

fair enough.

Just keep in mind....the only real "gear" thats LH/RH specific is a jacket, and a glove. other than that, everything I can think of can be used on either side....just comes down to setup. can't run a "Left Handed" rifle, so thats not a concern. if you're serious about it, put up a WTB ad on NationalMatch.us .... you'll probably get a hit within a day or two. if not, you can wait, or order one.

another option is to buy any old creed moor coat, and send it back to them. they can add rubber where ever you'd like, and it'd probably be significantly cheaper than ordering a brand new coat.

thanks for the tip on the jackets. Thats one place im a little stumped. my mom sewed on a synthetic leather patch on one of my old arm field jackets thats about the best I have used in my life time. other than that jrs at the club are the only ones with jackets in use.

funny you mention the left hand rifle. I been shooting LH with RH guns for so long when I finally got a chance to try a STAG lefty I did not like it. of course its not a true lefty as the lower(was at the time) was a RH lower.? Again most likely a design by a RH designer.

Last edited:
I shot a few NRA highpower matches this year.... I hope to do more but family/finacial situations have taken a toll on free time and money...

Mac1911, we've met before. If you ever feel like making a trip all the way up to Nashua for a high power shoot your welcome to use/borrow any of my stuff. You wont fit into my jacket ( well you'll fit but its to big ) but I have WOA service rifle/mat/scope and stand/range cart/ammo you can use. Im still hoping to make it to the last NRA 80 at nashua (next weekend?) but Im not positive yet.

The best thing to do if curious about high power is just show up...... dont go spend a bunch of money, just show up and shoot. Ive offered my equipment and just about everyone else will as well.

dan

edit: oh and if you plan on just buying everything 1st and jumping head 1st into the sport, keep in mind with most of the "good stuff" you cant just place a call or order on line and have it in 4 or 5 days. The wait for jackets and uppers is in the months.....

Last edited:
great offer, Im at the mercy of any local shoots for 2012. doubt I will make it to NH. I have no problem shooting with out all the gear. Unless a rule says I need mat,coat.glove I will go old school wear my heavy canvas cargo pants and my trusty (dads) old army field jacket drop on the dirt and start shooting. I may feel funny if im to comfortable. I have a RRA NM rifle on order sold off some stuff and have not treated myself to a new item in several years. I have 3 kids now and wife works nights/weekends. My mom will take the kids a few times a year for extended times. So I hope to get to at least 3 maybe 4 shoots if they are local enough.
I been working on some loads with 69gn match grade bullets and varget and blc2 out of my 16" stock Stag 2H I can get 3" groups pretty consistantly. I think with the 20" barrel the added velocity might shrink that down a bit. RRA says 3/4" MOA, no mention to what ammo or testing though. I dont think my skills will improve enough any time soon to really worry about sub 1" groups. More for fun and to see what I can do behind the trigger. I figure I will never grow out of the RRA but thestag H2 im sure to grow out of plus it aint service rifle.

great offer, Im at the mercy of any local shoots for 2012. doubt I will make it to NH. I have no problem shooting with out all the gear. Unless a rule says I need mat,coat.glove I will go old school wear my heavy canvas cargo pants and my trusty (dads) old army field jacket drop on the dirt and start shooting. I may feel funny if im to comfortable. I have a RRA NM rifle on order sold off some stuff and have not treated myself to a new item in several years. I have 3 kids now and wife works nights/weekends. My mom will take the kids a few times a year for extended times. So I hope to get to at least 3 maybe 4 shoots if they are local enough.
I been working on some loads with 69gn match grade bullets and varget and blc2 out of my 16" stock Stag 2H I can get 3" groups pretty consistantly. I think with the 20" barrel the added velocity might shrink that down a bit. RRA says 3/4" MOA, no mention to what ammo or testing though. I dont think my skills will improve enough any time soon to really worry about sub 1" groups. More for fun and to see what I can do behind the trigger. I figure I will never grow out of the RRA but thestag H2 im sure to grow out of plus it aint service rifle.

For "load development" Jasper among others have posted tried and true loads of XTC service rifle using a 75gn bullet..... pretty much there no development to it

other than my upper the best thing Ive found is a good sling and a glove, all the other stuff you can borrow or go without.

I feel your wife and kids deal, same here. I hope at best to make it 10 times next year, but I know life,wife,work,and twins will make it difficult.

dan

im at the mercy of what I have on hand a ton of 68gn hornady match bullets, got a great deal from someone getting out of rifle and getting into old school black powder right down to wearing period correct clothes and speakn olde time english.

The 68s will be fine for 200 & 300, but you should get something like a 77 or 80 for the 600 yard stage. Most people shoot two loads across the course. Some even shoot three.
B

bpm, thanks for the input I have been only able to shoot the reduced yardage CMP fun shoots. I been useing my Garand more than my current AR. its a flat top with a not so good detachable A2 style sight. Im been going through the positions. I even been bring a little timer to see how I do on the time limits. I seem to rush myself on the rapid. Only thing I have not done yet is practice my single shot loading for slow fire.

I seem to rush myself on the rapid. Only thing I have not done yet is practice my single shot loading for slow fire.

[rofl][laugh2] Seriously the 1st shoot I attended I through my second mag as everyone was doing their mag change! It was a rather lonely emabrrasing feeling to be turning around to the person scoring me with a sheepish look on my face with 30+ seconds left. I got myself so worked up to not have any saved rounds that I just blew through it more or less riding the recoil and completely not breathing ( the last match I had the oportunity to attend Jasper gave me a ton of advice and had to keep reminding me to breathe )

drb

edit: by the way laughing at myself, not your comment. at least you think to try stuff before showing up!

Last edited:
I had not given it much thought. Always thought I was on the slow slide. Its funny you dont relize how fast you are going. Theres a few good old timers at my local club that have helped out. Nnow Im wondering how it will be single loading, something I have never done. I also shoot lefty. Being lefty im sure to figure it out. good thing I have time to practice.

Great forum. I am now 70+, and wd like to ask a few quest from U knowledgable modern CMP/NM shooters. I shot a lot of hi power in the 70s and 80s in .308 (mostly at Reading RRC, a great club) and learned a lot. Now I want to get a good AR setup and wonder:
1-can u shoot Service Rifle with the detatchable handle which permits a flattop upper, or must you use an integral carry handle model?
2-are allowances made for shooters w/somewhat deteriorating eyesight in CMP/Service rife (i.e. any optical inserts or other aids?
Many thanks!

Flat tops with carry handles are legal, but most carry handles lack the elevation to dial up to 600 yards (you'll need 12-15moa of adjustment order your 200yd zero to get centered up at 600. If its a must, John at whiteoakarms.com makes a really nice pinned carry handle sight)

As far as optical aids, you are allowed a lens in the rear sight....although most of us who need it just ge a pair of glasses just for shooting (I use knoblochs).

What's your name? A bunch of the "old timers" are still shooting at reading, although a fair number have moved to just prone shooting (sling and f-class)

Back
Top Bottom