• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to join a great club around Somerville

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Somerville and am waiting for my LTC in the mail (hopefully). I am eager to join the shooting community here and a logical next step would be to find a club to join as I understand the process can be quite long. After doing a bit of searching through the Googles and this forum, I think perhaps the Harvard Sportsmen's Club might be the best fit for me. Any members here who would be interested meeting up and showing me the ropes? Otherwise what are some good ways to get to know some members and perhaps secure a sponsorship?

Apart from HSC are there any other recommendations that could be a good fit for me? Another close second was Woburn Sportsmen Club but I hear they do not allow action shooting.
I came from Rhode Island and was part of a pistol club there where I've shot more paper targets than I care to count. Some things I'm looking for in a club is to expand the fun beyond that. Shooting steel, targets that move, IDPA, etc. In addition to this I'd like to add a shotgun and a bolt action rifle to my collection so a place with ranges where I can practice with them would be awesome.

Cheers,

Wai

I was a member of Mass Rifle and the 24 hour indoor access is nice, but a lot of rules. Woburn you generally do not hear a lot of great stuff about, but I know a few members who are happy there. Harvard is the only membership I currently have and as long as you do not mind shooting outdoors, it is a great club. There is an indoor range, but it does not get much use from what I have seen.

I am busy the next few weekends, or I would offer to take you out there. Chances are good someone here will offer to show you the range there.

That seems to be a pretty good ride every time you want to go shoot.
Harvard has to be over an hour away from you.
It's an amazing place don't get me wrong. But it's just a far ride for you.

@bfm: mass rifle is definitely the closest club with all the things but I was also afraid that it might be too crowded based on comments from other members. Why is the indoor range not as popular at Harvard?

@jayhitek I agree with you, Harvard is a bit far but I want some place that has steel targets and other cool stuff. I saw the post here about the Texas star and thought it was the coolest thing. Do you have any ideas on other clubs I should look into?

Cheers,
Wai

That seems to be a pretty good ride every time you want to go shoot.
Harvard has to be over an hour away from you.
It's an amazing place don't get me wrong. But it's just a far ride for you.

If I am not going at traffic times it is normally just over half an hour. Straight out 2. It is also the closest range that I really like.

As for the indoor range, in the ten or more years I have been a member, I have never used it and only once ever even ran into someone using it. It is ok, but even in the cold, the outdoor ranges are nicer.

My favorite time to go is on rainy weekdays. Have the place almost completely to yourself.

I dropped Mass Rifle member ship about a year after I joined Harvard. Except for the times when we have two weeks of single digits or it is 1 AM and I really feel like going shooting, I do not really miss it, though it is a lot closer.

I live in Woburn and been at Harvard for a while, ~ 8-9 years. dropped all the other clubs I belong to. Harvard is pretty rural so we can shoot stuff, steel for example, that you can't really do at more suburban clubs. you can plink but there are approved plinking targets (no glass, clay targets for example) you can head to the pits and do drawing drills and there's a full auto range if that's of interest to you. takes me maybe 30-35 min to get there via rt 3 to 495. that was faster than 128 to rt. 2 for me, especially at the time I like to go so my route is clear while the other side is rush hour traffic clogged. I show up at 8:30 am and very rarely is anyone else there that early. one thing I noticed at Harvard, the members are friendly. more so than at other clubs where it can get cliquish. most everyone has left another club to shoot regularly at Harvard. I live a mile from mra and have never stepped foot on the property. someday maybe. hear it's a decent place too. you need to visit different clubs to see if it's right for you. [smile]

I have been a member at Mass Rifle for several years and like the place overall. 24 hour range access and the ability to shoot rifles and nearly any caliber indoors is a plus. My cousins have been members at Mystic Valley for years and I go with them occasionally although its been a while. Its an ok place but I think you are limited to .22 for rifles and no magnum pistol calibers, that may have changed so I could be wrong.

If you don't mind Only shooting Pistols. Mystic Valley is really close to you, indoor only but you CAN shoot any Pistol caliber up to .500 SW. Rifle anything is in 22lr only.

They do have matches every month (about 3), Mystic Valley Gun Club
24/7 club.

Thanks all for the helpful replies. It sounds like the top options are Mass Rifle, Woburn, Mystic, and Harvard for my area with overwhelming support for Harvard. Is anybody who is a member of Harvard willing to show me around the club and make a new friend? What are other ways I can meet some people and get the application process started? I have heard that some clubs do public Sunday lunches that can serve this purpose, does Harvard have something like this?

Joining two clubs is not out of the question so I may pick one of the other three as a backup just for the closer proximity. Google says Harvard is about 40 minute drive away from me with no traffic, which is not terrible.

Cheers,
Wai

My local club is 5 minutes away,.. but is outside and only open during daylight hours. Perfect for sighting something in or doing drills, but rather quiet as far as events. I joined a second club 40 minutes away from me that offers an indoor 24 hour range and hosts steel plate and pin events every month. They have very active and friendly members, and I feel very lucky to shoot with such fine folk. I enjoy the best of both worlds. I have participated in a few Appleseed's at Harvard and feel they are a top notch club, although too far for me to consider for membership. Mystic and Woburn events are open to non members and have great people there also. No reason not to check them all out.

Nice! We should get a thread going with those of us that live in the city- might be fun to get a few people together and head to a range.

I've been a member of MRA for ~9 years now. Its a good place to shoot as it has something for everyone. Yes, there are rules (some dumb rules) but keep in mind that Rte.128 and Rte.93 as well as Cummings Park are all within distance of the range. The rules are in place to keep dumb people from doing dumb stuff. Its got a 100/200yd outdoor range....50yd pistol/rifle range....25yd indoor range (24/7 access), a 25yd outdoor range for pistols and .22 rifles and an indoor .22 range (brand new construction). Saturdays and Sundays can get packed in the indoor 25yd range, especially in the winter time. Is what it is. Other than that, I've been there many times in the winter, fall and summer where I either have the place to myself or 1 or 2 people are shooting while i'm there. Overall, MRA is a good place and for me, its close to home (medford) Dues are reasonable and the people who shoot there are, for the most part, good folks. Occasionally you will get the FUDD(s) but truthfully they can only be avoided for so long. =)

Snora, that sounds like a fine proposition, are there lots of us here on this forum? (city dwellers). Ramair2k I'd love to check out MRA sometime, could be a great spot to follow up on Snora's suggestion!

Wai

Wai,
I’m also in Somerville and make the hike out to Harvard when I can. It’s a drive for sure, but early Saturday morning is smooth sailing on Rte. 2.

Honestly, 30 extra minutes of driving is no bother when I get to spend 3 hours shooting at a fully featured place like Harvard. Can’t go wrong there.

That said I’m trying service rifle comps this year and may also join Mass Rifle just to have another place to practice close by. Would be nice to have a shorter commute if my day only allows an hour of range time.

Last edited:
You should check out Maynard Rod and Gun. Friendly folks and something for everyone. Not to far from the city. PM me if you'd like more info or a visit...

Back
Top Bottom