• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell cops shoot a man in his house with a knife

There should be some kind of rule preventing the police from coming inside someone's house. Maybe a judge could issue a warrant based on probable cause. I think I read about a proposal to the effect, but it was a long time ago, and everyone has since forgotten about it. </sarcasm>

just a useful safety tip, if the police burst into your home and tell you to DROP THE KNIFE....you might want to do just that! THAT way you can sort out all the details at a later date with your lawyer, instead of your undertaker. [rolleyes]

just a useful safety tip, if the police burst into your home and tell you to DROP THE KNIFE....you might want to do just that! THAT way you can sort out all the details at a later date with your lawyer, instead of your undertaker. [rolleyes]

Except the times that people comply and are still shot anyways. That is also assuming they gave no conflicting commands if any at all.

The easiest way to prevent this would be something along the lines of the proposal swatgig mentioned. But that would concede authority in favor of individual rights and we can't have any of that.

Suicide by cop if the reporting is correct:

This incident began around 11 p.m. when 39-year-old Jose Perez called 911 and said he was going to kill everyone according to the Middlesex District Attorney.

When police arrived they say they found Perez holding a meat cleaver and another large knife.

Police say they ordered him to put the weapons down, but he refused and began moving toward the officers.

You know as well as anybody how accurate statements by police that someone with a knife refused commands and moved toward/lunged at police are.

Yes, but note "if the reporting is correct". The key item here is the guy swatted himself according to the article. If that is true, I'm willing to believe he acted as described. Not sure, but more likely than not.

At this point, if I were a cop I would desperately want a body cam. There are good guys out there, but in the present climate who would believe them?

Another pro tip: do not call the police in the first place and tell them you are going to kill everyone in the house. Then be holding a meat cleaver when they show up.

Just not good conversation starters, there.

Thread title is misleading.
I thought there was a new device that launched knives.
I was wondering if they used a knife like the one Mickey Rourke used in that movie that took place at the mall. I think he was a cop too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I love the cops tactic of doing mag dumps on people who aren't shooting back.....at least they're thorough.

So,shoot to wound maybe? Shoot the knife out of his hand? I suppose you would execute a series of contolled pairs with a 3-5 second pause in between to see if the threat had stopped, right? Was there a video of them mag dumping?

After rereading the attached article, witnesses said 5 shots. So yeah, sounds like a mag dump to me.

Last edited:
So,shoot to wound maybe? Shoot the knife out of his hand? I suppose you would execute a series of contolled pairs with a 3-5 second pause in between to see if the threat had stopped, right? Was there a video of them mag dumping?

After rereading the attached article, witnesses said 5 shots. So yeah, sounds like a mag dump to me.

Facts smacks

everyone knows cops can shoot weapons out of peoples hands and just choose not too. it happens on tv all the time [rolleyes]

[thumbsup]

Agree, I would love to see anyone get charged at with a knife and not fire multiple rounds at the assailant. Statistics show that unless you hit the suspect dead center mass, sever the spinal column or cease brain function, chances of stopping someone in their tracks with one or two rounds is slim to none. Now factor in that your adrenaline is pumping so chances of all rounds being on target are lower, you have no idea what substance that suspect may be on that could increase his adrenaline and or decrease his sense of pain such as Meth or PCP. Officers are trained to shoot to stop the threat, not to wound or remove the weapon, this isn't Hollywood.

Last edited:
It's police....it is just as likely to end at the undertaker's anyway. It's their word against yours, and if you're dead, they win. Paul Duncan anybody?....

[thumbsup]

Agree, I would love to see anyone get charged at with a knife and not fire multiple rounds at the assailant. Statistics show that unless you hit the suspect dead center mass, sever the spinal column or cease brain function, chances of stopping someone in their tracks with one or two rounds is slim to none. Now factor in that your adrenaline is pumping so chances of all rounds being on target are lower, you have no idea what substance that suspect may be on that could increase his adrenaline and or decrease his sense of pain such as Meth or PCP. Officer are trained to shoot to stop the threat, not to would or remove the weapon, this isn't Hollywood.

Its too bad there are so many idiot cops out there that have ruined things for the ones doing it right. Any time theres a LEO involved shooting, the accepted thought process has become very much what is echoed here on NES, sometimes by me as well.

When instructing at the range, we have gone away from "double taps" and " controlled pairs" for a few reasons, some which involve muscle memory, some which involve litigation.
Do I now instruct "mag dumps"? No. As far as the actual "shooting" piece goes at the range, thats the easy part. The hard part is having some of the meatheads I train understand the "whens" and "whys" needed to employ deadly force, or not to employ it even though they could. There are absolutely LEOs working that want to shoot someone just to see what its like, to have that aura of "been there done that", or because they want to be Bruce Willis.

Same thing on Cape yesterday, except the cops did not shoot the guy. They tased him and he still did not release the knife. They just physically removed it from him, I guess by prying his hand open. I believe cops need to go back to billy clubs. Seems to me it's a better way to control the situation without shooting people.

Back
Top Bottom