LTC in neighboring states

DMW

I've got a LTC in Mass but I go to New Hampshire a lot and sometimes Maine or Rhode Island or Vermont. I don't want to have to plan out my day on whether or not I should carry based on where I might travel.

Has anyone got LTCs or at least a license to transport a weapon from neighboring states? If so, what's the procedure?

No license is necessary for mere possession/ownership of a firearm in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont. All three are open carry states. Vermont allows CCW without a permit as well. NH and Maine require permits for CCW. Rhode Island is a bit tougher than any of those.

Be aware that other than MA, NJ, NY, and the other big anti gun states, very few states require any sort of license just to possess, transport, or purchase firearms.

I have both my Maine and NH Pistol permits. It took a little looking around on line, but the forms are there, just fill them out, photo copy your MA lic and a few bucks.. Both took about 8 weeks from the time I mailed.

So basically with a mass permit, and being a mass resident. I could drive into NH, VT or Maine as long as I was not CCW and I would be 100% legal.

So this means the only reason for the non-res permits from these states is for CCW.

Is this correct thinking?

So basically with a mass permit, and being a mass resident. I could drive into NH, VT or Maine as long as I was not CCW and I would be 100% legal.

So this means the only reason for the non-res permits from these states is for CCW.

Is this correct thinking?
Even if you are a Mass resident, you do NOT need a Mass LTC or FID to posses firearms in NH, VT, or ME. When you are there, THEIR laws apply to you, not MGLs. THEIR laws do not require ANY license to transport (unloaded), possess, or use firearms if you are in their states, regardless of which state you are an actual resident of.

The MGLs regarding firearms apply to you ONLY when you are in Massachussetts.

Ok, I know this is an odd question, and it kind of defeats the purpose of carrying. but Lets say that I'm in MA, and get a call from work that I have to get to a location in NH as quick as possible. in this scenario I'm carrying a pistol CCW and don't have any other holsters with me. I also do not have a way of locking up my pistol in my car, Would it be legal for me to just empty the gun and leave the mag in the car and carry my completely unloaded with no mag in it pistol in my CCW holster?
also in this scenario, I dont have a NH LTC

You can just stick the gun in the trunk (unloaded). I'm not sure if CCW of a unloaded firearm is OK or not in NH. Hell, you can leave it in the glove box.

If your going to get one make it NH as it's $20.00 and have greater benefits of reciprication with many other states. I have both NH and Maine myself but Maine is $60.00 for 4 years as opposed to $20.00 in NH.

Now that I have my LTC A I'm planning on applying for NH, ME, CT and RI. I travel a lot through New England. In fact yesterday I was in Attleboro and my daughter called from Providence College asking if I would come down for lunch. Problem was I had a pistol with me and truly did not know if locking it in the trunk would be legal.

I've read that NH and ME are rather easy to get. How about CT and RI?

I've also read advice about getting a Utah license, as they have the largest reciprocity program around. Has anyone gone this route? Is this legit?

Thanks,

Rich

I don't have a magic roadmap you can use for RI, but it requires a range test which can be hard to find because shops tend not to carry the B22/Army-L target required. They can give the test at www.americanfirearmscchool.com or I can do it by appointment in Hopkinton (www.hsasports.com), since we keep a supply of targets on-hand to give these tests. At the rate we use the, the club will still be working on the 100 target pack long after I'm dead :).

Of the "big three" MA gun attorneys on, or formerly on, this list, I believe that Keith Langer is the only one admitted to both the MA and RI bars.

--------------------------

I've also read advice about getting a Utah license, as they have the largest reciprocity program around. Has anyone gone this route? Is this legit?

Yes, it's legit.

I'm not sure if UT or FL has the largest reciprocity program. Both can be done by mail, but UT requires a course from "UT Certified Instructor" (I used kmaurer from this forum - very nice person to do business with, I highly recommend him). UT instructors may become a bit more scarce in MA over the next few years since UT changed the instructor requirements, and now requires instructors return to UT once every few years to recertify. WA and MN are the only two states I know of that honor UT and not FL (NV was on that list until January 3, 2008) - details at http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml. I have heard, but not confirmed, that WV accepts FL but not UT.

Last edited:
Great info... Thanks!

Would others be interested in taking the Utah course? I'm in. Perhaps we could get a group together and get the proper certification for a Utah license, and then all the reciprocal states that would allow?

Thougths?

Rich

I don't have a magic roadmap you can use for RI, but it requires a range test which can be hard to find because shops tend not to carry the B22/Army-L target required. They can give the test at www.americanfirearmscchool.com or I can do it by appointment in Hopkinton (www.hsasports.com), since we keep a supply of targets on-hand to give these tests. At the rate we use the, the club will still be working on the 100 target pack long after I'm dead :).

Of the "big three" MA gun attorneys on, or formerly on, this list, I believe that Keith Langer is the only one admitted to both the MA and RI bars.

--------------------------

Yes, it's legit.

I'm not sure if UT or FL has the largest reciprocity program. Both can be done by mail, but UT requires a course from "UT Certified Instructor" (I used kmaurer from this forum - very nice person to do business with, I highly recommend him). UT instructors may become a bit more scarce in MA over the next few years since UT changed the instructor requirements, and now requires instructors return to UT once every few years to recertify. WA and MN are the only two states I know of that honor UT and not FL (NV was on that list until January 3, 2008) - details at http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml. I have heard, but not confirmed, that WV accepts FL but not UT.

Question... I have heard that reciprocity works only if you are a resident.. for ex: You are a resident of MA and get a FL non-res CCW.. FL has repicprocity with Alabama but Mass does not. You are not allowed to ccw in Alabama.

I have no idea if this is fact, whether it is partially true (ie some states are this way), or it is just outhouse talk.... Does anyone know???

Question... I have heard that reciprocity works only if you are a resident.. for ex: You are a resident of MA and get a FL non-res CCW.. FL has repicprocity with Alabama but Mass does not. You are not allowed to ccw in Alabama.

I have no idea if this is fact, whether it is partially true (ie some states are this way), or it is just outhouse talk.... Does anyone know???
I know. And what you have been told is true only in seven of the 48 states that allow CCW Those seven states which do not recognize non-resident licenses (except their own NR license) are Florida, Michigan, Colorado, Kansas, New Hampshire, West Virginia, and South Carolina.

What that means is that to carry in one of those seven states you need to be a licensed resident of a state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with one of the seven or you have to obtain a non-resident license from the state (out those seven) that you wish to visit (if they offer NR licenses).

For example, I am a resident of Ohio. Ohio and Colorado do not have reciprocity, therefore I cannot carry a concealed handgun in Colorado with my Ohio license. Colorado and NH share reciprocity, so I get a NH non-resident license. But I still cannot carry in Colorado since Colorado does not recognize non-resident licenses. And since Colorado does not issue its own non-resident licenses, I am still stuck.

Another example. MA and FL do not share reciprocity. You are a MA resident with an LTC-A, therefore you cannot carry a concealed handgun in FL with your LTC-A. FL and NH share reciprocity, so you get a NH non-resident license. You still cannot carry a concealed handgun in Florida since FL does NOT recognize non-resident licenses even from states with which it shares reciprocity. The only way you can carry a concealed handgun in FL, as a MA resident, is to obtain a FLORIDA non-resident license (obviously FL recgnizes its own NR license).

Now Ohio does not make a distinction between resident and non-resident licenses. Ohio and Mass do not share reciprocity, so you cannot carry a concealed handgun here with your LTC-A. But Florida and Ohio do share reciprocity and Florida issues non-resident licenses. So you get a FL NR license to carry. You come to Ohio and you can legally carry as a Mass resident with a Florida NR license since Ohio and FL share reciprocity and Ohio does not make a distinction between resident and non-resident licenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely said Jose (though I have not verified his list, I recognize some of the situations he mentions).

The way I explain this in my classes: Your LTC has less reciprocity that a driver's license, but more than a gay marriage - all depending on where you are traveling :).

I wish there was a CCW licenses for Dummies book... But.. it looks like it would be 20,000 pages long... I know I am preaching to the choir here, but how did we let it get this complicated... Surely the LEOs out there cant be expected to keep up with it.. It has to lead to many cases of an innocent person being arrested/locked up only to find out that the person did nothing wrong (and now the hassle in trying to get their pistol returned)....

Jose,

Massachusetts does not recognize any permit other than a MA LTC, so that's one more for that list.

We are talking about two different things. MA does not have reciprocity with anyone.

The seven states I mentioned all have reciprocity with many states, they just do not accept third party non-resident licenses.

The only way I can carry legally in MA is to get a NR LTC. However, I can drive to Michigan right now and carry legally because MI and OH share reciprocity and I have an OH resident CHL.

I wish there was a CCW licenses for Dummies book... But.. it looks like it would be 20,000 pages long... I know I am preaching to the choir here, but how did we let it get this complicated... Surely the LEOs out there cant be expected to keep up with it.. It has to lead to many cases of an innocent person being arrested/locked up only to find out that the person did nothing wrong (and now the hassle in trying to get their pistol returned)....

www.handgunlaw.us. It even includes links to the actual state statutes, as long as they are available on line (which most are).

We are talking about two different things. MA does not have reciprocity with anyone.

The seven states I mentioned all have reciprocity with many states, they just do not accept third party non-resident licenses.

The only way I can carry legally in MA is to get a NR LTC. However, I can drive to Michigan right now and carry legally because MI and OH share reciprocity and I have an OH resident CHL.

Got it.

Ok this is more confusing that the federal budget.

I am not concerned with CCW.

Just having the handgun in the car unloaded and locked in the trunk so I can go vist friends in other states and use some of their ranges.

ie I have a friend in VA and I would like to take my guns with me to go shoot with him at the NRA range.

Or I want to fo shoot skeet in NY with family.

What is needed?

Ok, I know this is an odd question, and it kind of defeats the purpose of carrying. but Lets say that I'm in MA, and get a call from work that I have to get to a location in NH as quick as possible. in this scenario I'm carrying a pistol CCW and don't have any other holsters with me. I also do not have a way of locking up my pistol in my car, Would it be legal for me to just empty the gun and leave the mag in the car and carry my completely unloaded with no mag in it pistol in my CCW holster?
also in this scenario, I dont have a NH LTC

carry it concealed / unloaded (if you dont have the permit)

You can just stick the gun in the trunk (unloaded). I'm not sure if CCW of a unloaded firearm is OK or not in NH. Hell, you can leave it in the glove box.

yes, CCW/unloaded in legal in NH

Ok this is more confusing that the federal budget.

I am not concerned with CCW.

Just having the handgun in the car unloaded and locked in the trunk so I can go vist friends in other states and use some of their ranges.

ie I have a friend in VA and I would like to take my guns with me to go shoot with him at the NRA range.

Or I want to fo shoot skeet in NY with family.

What is needed?

THERE IS NO BLANKET ANSWER.

Every state is different, though many are very similar.

Visiting NY state with a handgun (even unloaded and locked up) without a NY state pistol license = FAIL. In NY you need to have a NY state pistol license to even possess one.

However, you can visit NY (but not NYC) with any long gun that does not meet their state AWB definition WITHOUT ANY LICENSE AT ALL. Why? Because NY does not have licenses to posses rifles or shotguns.

OTOH, you can take ANY gun you want to Virginia and use them in any legal way that you want WITHOUT ANY LICENSES AT ALL. Why? Because the only license that exists in Virginia is to carry a concealed handgun. You can own and possess any firearm in VA without a license (since such license does not exist). You can CARRY a handgun OPENLY all over Virginia LEGALLY WITHOUT A LICENSE.

Massachussetts is an aberration when it comes to gun laws. Your style of gun laws are the exception, not the rule, in the US.

THERE IS NO BLANKET ANSWER.

Yep.

I think it's sad that our system in MA is so pervasive that most longtime residents never realize what kind of freedoms there are outside the state. Having moved here from a state that sucks but not as much, I was shocked.

carry it concealed / unloaded (if you dont have the permit)

yes, CCW/unloaded in legal in NH

Do NOT do this in NH in a vehicle. It's illegal w/o a permit. Check it out in the RSAs, available off the NH website. See appropriate thread in the NH Laws forum for info on getting a NH NR permit and what their laws are (only a few pages, unlike MA).

Back
Top Bottom