LTC in neighboring states

Do NOT do this in NH in a vehicle. It's illegal w/o a permit. Check it out in the RSAs, available off the NH website. See appropriate thread in the NH Laws forum for info on getting a NH NR permit and what their laws are (only a few pages, unlike MA).

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A2

NH.gov website said:
I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

* You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
* You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
* You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
* Please refer to RSA 159 for additional information.

here's a link to RSA 159

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII-159.htm

the only exception to carrying without a license is carrying LOADED.

do i recommend it? no. but is it legal (at least according to what they publish for information)...yes.

Surely the LEOs out there cant be expected to keep up with it
Actually, it's not that unreasonable to expect a LEO to be familiar with the laws of the state for which she/he is enforcing the law. The feds generally don't concern themselves with state law, so each officer has to know only one states laws in detail.

Jasper, thanks, I take that back.

I recall years ago where it was declared that once you got into a car it was considered "concealed" (not visible from outside) and thus required the permit.

Sounds like they changed their law/rules. Good, I guess! Although I hate the idea of carrying an empty gun . . . I'd prefer not to carry it at all, but that is just me.

Thank you. This clears it up for me.
the permit vs CCW permit gets confusing in these discussions as they are tossed around so much.

THERE IS NO BLANKET ANSWER.

Every state is different, though many are very similar.

Visiting NY state with a handgun (even unloaded and locked up) without a NY state pistol license = FAIL. In NY you need to have a NY state pistol license to even possess one.

However, you can visit NY (but not NYC) with any long gun that does not meet their state AWB definition WITHOUT ANY LICENSE AT ALL. Why? Because NY does not have licenses to posses rifles or shotguns.

OTOH, you can take ANY gun you want to Virginia and use them in any legal way that you want WITHOUT ANY LICENSES AT ALL. Why? Because the only license that exists in Virginia is to carry a concealed handgun. You can own and possess any firearm in VA without a license (since such license does not exist). You can CARRY a handgun OPENLY all over Virginia LEGALLY WITHOUT A LICENSE.

Massachussetts is an aberration when it comes to gun laws. Your style of gun laws are the exception, not the rule, in the US.

Jasper, thanks, I take that back.

I recall years ago where it was declared that once you got into a car it was considered "concealed" (not visible from outside) and thus required the permit.

Sounds like they changed their law/rules. Good, I guess! Although I hate the idea of carrying an empty gun . . . I'd prefer not to carry it at all, but that is just me.

you are correct. once you enter a car, any weapon is considered "concealed", regardless of how it is carried.

the issue with carrying concealed / unloaded is that you are not allowed to have ammunition "on your person".

when i went up to NH to go shooting (before my non-res permit came in), my pistols were in a locked case in the back seat, with the ammo in a locked toolbox next to it. i typically pocket-carry my j-frame, so i'd simply unload as i crossed the border, and hand my speedstrip / speedloader to my girlfriend, and re-pocket my 642. i, too, didn't like the idea of carrying an empty gun, but it was easier than stopping the car, opening the lockbox, trigger-locking the j-frame, putting it in the case, and relocking the case.

to each his own though. hope my info was helpful (i had this same question a couple months ago, and after a few minutes on google, i had my answer)

NH CCW for MA Resident

You MUST have a MA non-restricted LTC-A in order to get a NH CCW issued. They will NOT issue if you have a restricted MA LTC.

You MUST have a MA non-restricted LTC-A in order to get a NH CCW issued. They will NOT issue if you have a restricted MA LTC.

Dave, no longer true . . . at least as of a few months ago.

Every once in a while someone at the NH SP Licensing unit decides to "create rules" that violate their RSAs. They get called on it and roll things back . . . until the next time.

Dave, no longer true . . . at least as of a few months ago.

Every once in a while someone at the NH SP Licensing unit decides to "create rules" that violate their RSAs. They get called on it and roll things back . . . until the next time.
How wrong is it that you can carry concealed in NH, but not in your home state [sad2]

Back
Top Bottom