• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LuthAR buttstock for M&P 15 Sport in Mass?

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I live in liberal heaven, Massachusetts. This state has some very strict laws that determine how many rounds we have in a magazine (other than pre-ban mags), we have to have fixed buttstocks of a certain length, etc. As much as I try to find reliable sources of information, I feel that I am left more confused than when I first started to look for answers. So hopefully someone here can help me with my dilemma.

I have an M&P Sport that I recently purchased, and I LOVE IT! I just exchanged the pistol grip yesterday with a magpul moe grip+ (latest add on) and it is night and day difference. I am interested in exchanging my OEM stock with a 3rd party stock but I am afraid of "breaking the law" here in MA. I have a few Magpul stocks I am interested in as well as these 2 below. I just want to know if I can actually use either of these in MA without encountering any issues.

THE ? MBA ? MODULAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY :: Luth-AR

?SKULLATON? / MBA-2 :: Luth-AR

Thank You

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I dont think those stocks are a legal issue? Although they look a bit flimsy in the pics.

they are legal however the luthar needs a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle buffer+spring. it is not compatible with telescoping carbine length tubes

they are legal however the luthar needs a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle buffer+spring. it is not compatible with telescoping carbine length tubes

My current stock is fixed. As far as I know, mine should have a buffer and spring.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

My current stock is fixed. As far as I know, mine should have a buffer and spring.

Whether it is fixed or not is immaterial; you can have a fixed carbine type stock or a fixed rifle length stock. The receiver extensions (buffer tubes) are different between carbine and rifle.

Will I encounter the same issue with the magpul stocks? I was looking at the one above the MOE's

Will I encounter the same issue with the magpul stocks? I was looking at the one above the MOE's

Depends on the specific stock. Some of the magpul stocks use rifle receiver extensions, other use mil-spec carbine extensions, still others use commercial carbine extensions.

I'm gonna teach you how to fish vs giving you the fish.
There's two different types of ar stocks.

Carbine length and rifle.

Carbine you have mill spec and commercial. buffer tube. These are mainly collapsable style but magpul and others sell fixed ones also.

You need to have a carbine buffer and spring .
The stock needs to match the buffer tube .
Mill spec or commercial.

Rifle length .
Are normally fixed or adjustable like the prs .
You need a rifle length tube spring and buffer.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain how this works. I have come to the conclusion that stock is going to be the way it stays for now. I just wanted to be fancy with my gun, so there is no real need to change the stock for now.

The Luth-AR stocks are nice though. I have one on my AR10 and they are in no way flimsy. They weigh less than the PRS and are a lot cheaper to boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Thank you all for taking the time to explain how this works. I have come to the conclusion that stock is going to be the way it stays for now. I just wanted to be fancy with my gun, so there is no real need to change the stock for now.

I think this is a wise choice. You would be better off shooting the gun and learning more of what you do and do not like about it. Then you can build up another rifle maybe.

Back
Top Bottom