• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lyme disease not bad enough? How about MMA? :(

45collector

NES Member
Saw this article in one of the hunting forums. I knew next to nothing about Lone Star ticks until I heard a few months ago that tons of them are now being found on Sandy Neck, where I go frequently throughout the year for ORV'ing/ beaching/ fishing/ swimming/ hunting/ hiking. [sad2]

Can you imagine being allergic to your favorite burger? Steak? No!!!! Put a bullet in me now!! The Lone Star tick has been nicknamed the "P.E.T.A. tick" because of this bullshit... Mammalian Meat Allergy. Read on, and stock up on the Permethrin now!!!

https://www.qdma.com/articles/ticked-off-no-more-venison

Also, I have a big freakin bottle of Doxycycline in the fridge.. If you get bit, take a prophylactic single 200mg horse pill and nuke it from orbit.. It's the only way to be sure. Because you know you're gonna get bit on a Saturday, when your Doc's is on vacation.

My Dad almost died from Rocky Mountain spotted fever (from a tick bite) a few months ago. It ****ed him up like you can't believe. It's possible his brain (& short term memory) may never be the same.

My Dad almost died from Rocky Mountain spotted fever (from a tick bite) a few months ago. It ****ed him up like you can't believe. It's possible his brain (& short term memory) may never be the same.

Sorry about your Dad. Rocky mountain spotted fever is no joke. Just read about a woman who had her hands and feet amputated. Waited 5 or 6 days to get to the hospital after thinking she just had the flu.

From what I understand, it attacked his organs, specifically his liver. The livers ability to process/absorb ammonia was compromised which resulted in the ammonia attacking the brain (and functioning cells). He was literally delusional for weeks - a risk to himself and others. Were afraid, though better, his brain function will never be the same.

And no, he's not a hunter. Just a marginally active NC resident.

My mom got rocky mountain spotted fever about 8 years ago. Man was she sick. It took months and months, course after course of antibiotics to get rid of it.

When I was a kid in the 1960s and 70s I did a lot of backpacking. We drank right from the streams and never got ticks. We also never saw wildlife. Now the wildlife has come back strong (a good thing) and with them all their disease problems [sad2]

When I was a kid in the 1960s and 70s I did a lot of backpacking. We drank right from the streams and never got ticks. We also never saw wildlife. Now the wildlife has come back strong (a good thing) and with them all their disease problems [sad2]

You heard him, dudes....get yer guns!

KILL ALL WILDLIFE!!!

Last edited:
Group Buy?
http://throwflame.com/products/flamethrower/

x15flamethrower2front1-300x300.png

Also, I have a big freakin bottle of Doxycycline in the fridge.. If you get bit, take a prophylactic single 200mg horse pill and nuke it from orbit.. It's the only way to be sure. Because you know you're gonna get bit on a Saturday, when your Doc's is on vacation.

FYI My Lyme doc said the study is flawed and may not work as well as claimed so if you go that route still be on the lookout for symptoms that may develop within 30 days or so.

Lyme never goes away.
I've been treated twice and i'm not the quite the same.

Lyme does go away when the pathogen is killed. But the damage it does may remain. Especially if it's caught late and has had time to fester. It's unfortunate that the tests for Lyme are so unreliable too. False positives and false negatives are always the norm.

It's unfortunate that the tests for Lyme are so unreliable too. False positives and false negatives are always the norm.
My wife has done quite a bit of reading. She says the CDC's stance on the tests is that they are NOT for diagnosis, only for tracking statistics. Diagnosis is supposed to be done with signs and symptoms.

The current test is like 1500$ and is very close to Dark Ages science(western blots). The problem is that Lyme turns autoimmune once it gets going. So even though the bug is gone, you've got rheumatoid type symptoms. I've desperately lobbied to explore making a cheaper and rapid turnover test that can look for the autoantibodies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548028/

I can't stress it enough - with hunting seasons soon to be upon us. Please wear permethrin folks! It's not worth not wearing it to save a few bucks. Unless you think the quality of your life isn't worth 20 bucks to insure. The Sawyer brand works extremely well. I wear it all the time I head afield and I have seen ticks that I pick up die and fall off me. It's odorless as well. So there's no excuse... Use it.

I'm also investigating making permethrin tubes.. You take an empty toilet paper roll, stuff it with some cotton balls that were previously treated with permethrin. Then distribute afield. The field mice (the real dirty bastards that propagate ticks and their diseases) use the cotton to make their nests and are exposed to the permethrin which in turn kills ticks they are exposed to. Good way to help keep down the tick count on your property.

People seem to get hung up on deer as the main host for ticks.. But it's really not the deer. It's the mice that are the problem. I've read somewhere that CT is actually looking at rolling out a state wide vaccination program for field mice. Kind of like what MA did for raccoon and rabies. They distribute food pellets which contain a vaccination for lyme and other tick born diseases. The mice eat the food pellet. That in turn kills the pathogens.

Last edited:
The permethrin tubes work. Put them where mice might be, only not around your shed unless you want your mower's cooling fins packed with cotton in the spring[rofl]

I can't stress it enough - with hunting seasons soon to be upon us. Please wear permethrin folks!

Thanks for the tip. I honestly never heard of it before but it sounds great. I ordered a bunch. Do you spray it on your socks, long johns etc? It says it's good after six washing. That seems to be to be true. Do you think it's better to just skip he wash on your hunting clothes?

Thanks for the tip. I honestly never heard of it before but it sounds great. I ordered a bunch. Do you spray it on your socks, long johns etc? It says it's good after six washing. That seems to be to be true. Do you think it's better to just skip he wash on your hunting clothes?

It is good for 6 wash cycles - or maybe more. I put it on my boots, socks and any clothing I wear that may be an outer layer. So basically not underwear, but anything that you may be walking through the woods with that could be exposed.

I buy the Sawyer brand stuff 4 24 oz bottles at a time off of Amazon or Ebay. Some even mix their own by buying concentrated liquid - but I'm not that adventurous. There are certain types you can and can't use when mixing your own, etc. Plenty of info will come up on Google if you wanted to go that route.

Generally I wash my hunting clothing after every hunt. I reapply the permethrin after every 4 washes out of an abundance of caution. But I have gone over 6 before on my scouting cloths (light colored so I can find ticks easily) and they still die and fall off. It just takes a little longer. Maybe like 8 or 10 minutes as opposed to 2 to 5.

But if you watch the ticks they start getting really effed up after only a minute. You can just tell.. They start getting twitchy. It appears like they lose control of their legs as they start flailing. At that point they're just trying to hold onto you for dear life. But they're dead ticks walking... They just don't know it yet.

Still have questions? Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkNDjrIZAU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XvX9Hyrhw

FYI... the military has been using this exact stuff for like 30 years.

Last edited:
Crap.. I wish I was still in the hospital environment, where I was swimming in IRB approved blood sample time courses from Lyme patients. I had no money or hardware to develop the tests. Now in industry, I have the hardware, but no samples. There are a whole bunch of these type of diseases out there that "just need the work". CRO's right now would just rather run the 1500$ test. /end bitch session. Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom