M&P Discussion moved here from Four Seasons subforum

I did shoot both the M&P .45 and the PC 1911 and I have to agree that comparison is not really fair. While I thought the M&P fit nicely in my hand I just did not like the way it shot. I also shortstroked it a couple times and got the "WTF flinch" when it should have gone off. Now that PC 1911 is a whole different animal. Kind of the graceful Cheeta of the .45s, it was smooth, fast, accurate, low recoiled, just an all around pleasure to shoot. Now if I just had enough money to buy one...[wink]

Last edited:
I shot the M&P .40 and .45. I made my comparisons off my experiences.

I compared the M&Ps to the Glocks. The M&P. 40 seems slightly bigger than a G23 but it felt so much better. Personally I felt the M&P .40 was far superior in all areas for a Polymer Vs all the Glock .40 models. The M&P was designed and built as our tour guide said, for Military and LE and I believe S&W did a great job and also at the sametime gave Glock competition.

M&Ps are New MA Compliant and come with a tact rail and a great gun for the money. Its contender for MA a Used, Overpriced, Overrated 3rd Generation Glock.

I purchased a M&P40 that day after firing it. Today I took it to the range and after firing 10 rounds getting use to the trigger at 25ft shooting left hand and right hand all my groups were tight. The gun satisfied me all the reasons I bought it. An affordable fun target gun and carry/concealed duty gun.

my 2 cents

Last edited:
I had the exact opposite experience with the M&P .45 today. It was dead nuts on and shot about as well as my sight picture. I shot the M&P .40 in a vertical string to the right of my POA. Part of that was learning the M&P trigger and the M&P .40 came before the .45.

Comparing the M&P to the performance center 1911 is really not a fair comparison. It would be better to compare a Burwell tuned M&P in an action shooting situation to the PC 1911, that is where the light weight frame and more than adequate trigger will shine over a heavy weight all steel gun. If you aren't making transitions than the M&P doesn't have much to offer you that a 1911 can't do better. The M&P is just another DAO duty gun, not a panacea. I like to think of it as the poor man's mass legal 2011 with affordable mags.

There is also weight for carry but that isn't a factor with my restricted license.

The front sight dot (especially fiber optic) is pretty essential for action shooting. Black sights shine for precision paper punching but not for close shots at 7 yards on IPSC sized targets. Different tools for different schools so to speak. The black is always there for those 25 yard shots.

A lot of top IPSC competitors use black on black sights. Its really a matter of taste. A fiber optic sight might be an advantage for someone with vision problems but is not necessary for IPSC competition. I have experimented with just about every type of front sight and still prefer black on black for IPSC.

Back
Top Bottom