• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Marlin experts here

1903Collector

NES Member
Apparently there is a thing called a 336 Texan and although they were never marked that way I have 336 made in 1954 in 35Rem. it has a straight wrist stock and 20" barrel. The barrel is stamped 336 R.C. Do I have another plain Jane 336 or something unique and cool? Serial number Starts with an L, no safety and rounded lever loop.

Walt.

Apparently there is a thing called a 336 Texan and although they were never marked that way I have 336 made in 1954 in 35Rem. it has a straight wrist stock and 20" barrel. The barrel is stamped 336 R.C. Do I have another plain Jane 336 or something unique and cool? Serial number Starts with an L, no safety and rounded lever loop.

Walt.
Texan was 30-30 only I believe.

The 50s marlins were extremely reliable. Some of the best guns they made. Texan and .35 are price boosters. You don't see a lot of these, so it is rare.

However, lever guns always seem to sit until the right buyer comes along. To the right person, you could probably get $900+ if it's in very good condition. If you're willing to wait.

Yea that's what I figured, that straight stock was throwing me off, all the 336's I've ever owned had the pistol grip stock. It's still a sweet rifle, action is like butter. They made guns a lot better back in them days it seems.
My Dad had an older 336 in the .35 Rem. As he aged he put a synthetic stock on it to lighten it to make it easier to carry ( he refused to use a sling in the woods) when he passed we went through everything he had and never found the original wood furniture, that sucked. The gun lives with my brother now.

Well, so much for that as they say. I thought they came out with only the 30-30.

I've never seen one IRL but it's one of the rare configs that I memorized just in case. Really beautiful rifles.

There's a stainless .45/70 trapper at one of the pawn shops here, been there for 2 years. $1200, guy won't move on the price.

I have two other's, one made in 1951 and an other in 1968, all have honest wear but function beautifully, again both in 35 Rem.
Gotta be 80/81, VT, Dad shoots a buck, I walk up to him and he says his gun is a little "off" Why we say....I hit him further back that I was aiming....we back track and see a small branch broken off, the .35 went straight through it and only deflected a few inches on the deer....we all had a good laugh.

I googled this one up.

I nearly bought one of these before Remlin went belly up, they made a run of them that Grabagun was peddling.

Gold embellishment was a little to much bling for me....they had a good sale on them back then.....think they were sub 700 dollars maybe a touch more....., upgraded wood, straight stock, engraving....etc. That was before levers went full retard.

Of course I somewhat regret it now...but I already had a 336 at the time. A fancy 336 that would have likely been a safe queen wasn't of too much interest.

Now I have a Ruger 336.

Last edited:
So I completely tore this gun down for a detailed cleaning and discovered that the stock was stamped with the gun's serial number so it definitely came from the factory that way so I'm thinking it is a Texan.

Back
Top Bottom