MA 2010 Licenses--NOT Available Online--Must Visit Agent

MassWildlife has a warning on their Web page indicating that 2010 licenses are not yet available online and should be bought in-person at an agent. From the sound of it, seems like they have no idea when online will be up and running.

January must be coming as a big surprise.

Notice copied below:

2010 ONLINE LICENSE AVAILABILITY

Due to administrative changes in the electronic licensing system, there has been a delay in the availability of 2010 licenses online. 2010 licenses will be available online for sale, but at this time it is not clear when this will occur. If you were planning to purchase a license as a gift, or to go hunting or fishing in early January, visit a license vendor and buy a paper license for 2010. Here is a link to the statewide license vendor locations.

MassOutdoors customers will be notified when the licenses are available online. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Correct this is a software problem that happens every year. The online database sells for the current year only. All hunting, fishing, sporting licenses expire 12 31 of the current year. Wait till at least 01-01-2010 to purchase a 2010 online license. Still read the exp date before purchasing. Last year it was about the 4th or 5th of January before they had it fixed.

All licenses purchased up to 12-31-09 will expire 12-31-09.

Correct this is a software problem that happens every year. The online database sells for the current year only. All hunting, fishing, sporting licenses expire 12 31 of the current year. Wait till at least 01-01-2010 to purchase a 2010 online license. Still read the exp date before purchasing. Last year it was about the 4th or 5th of January before they had it fixed.

All licenses purchased up to 12-31-09 will expire 12-31-09.

I am told there is some sort of more severe problem this year. Not sure why this is so hard to get correct. Other states I buy licenses from don't seem to have the same problem.

Online sales at present:
New Hampshire. Selling 2010 licenses online since 17 December
Maine. Already selling 2010 licenses
Vermont. System automatically switches to selling 2010 licenses on Jan 1

Been a long time since I purchased a license from the town clerk. I wonder why?

Hours: Tues. 10am - 1pm, Thurs. 10am - 1pm

Last edited:
Mass built a database many years ago inhouse. Instead of contracting out and picking a really good software design / company. You get what you pay for.

Pupchow
You can buy from any town clerk. If the next town over or the one you work in has better hours. Also walmart some if not all dicks, as well as most gun shops.

One large advantage of buying hunting / fishing / sporting licenses online is: if you forget it / lose it, the EPO can check the database instantly. If purchased over the counter this is not possible.

Damn...wish I'd waited the extra couple days. I got one of those crappy 1975-invoice-looking licenses at Blue Northern the other day. I'll be lucky if it doesn't get trashed and/or lose the deer tags within a month.

My wife picked up the hard copy of this year's guide the other day. New version, printed on magazine paper, more color graphics. Has ads, they turned the contract over to a printer in MA. JF Griffin Publishing.

Dana

Damn...wish I'd waited the extra couple days. I got one of those crappy 1975-invoice-looking licenses at Blue Northern the other day. I'll be lucky if it doesn't get trashed and/or lose the deer tags within a month.

A duplicate license can be ordered for $3.50

Back
Top Bottom