• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

thanks for the feedback, so essentially the way things work is what you got is basically what you got unless you move our of state. if i wanted to buy a theoretical friend's theoretical AR or AK, that is not permitted living in Mass. And if i wanted to dispose of anything pre July 20 2016, I'd have to do so out of state as even FTF transfers have been shut down at this point. Yeesh, I hope her protection detail is as scantly armed nowadays and have limited options like the rest of the pleebs... oh wait that is right, as their credo and modus operandi goes, "guns for me and not for thee"

Not quite true. .22LR ARs are still legal regardless of date (but MGL AWB still applies to features) according to the AG.

FTF of the guns the AG declared "illegal", if they were "registered" in MA prior to 7/20/16 according to the AG, they can still be transferred legally, just not by dealers.

Last edited:
Will try this again.

Question: Can you swap the charging handle and bolt carrier group on AR legally in Mass...on AR that was purchased bought prior to 7/20/2016? Sorry, can't find in other threads.

Will try this again.

Question: Can you swap the charging handle and bolt carrier group on AR legally in Mass...on AR that was purchased bought prior to 7/20/2016? Sorry, can't find in other threads.
Unless it's some sort of trick question, I don't see why not. You are just replacing some internal parts with different parts with no functional changes at all. I don't see why you couldn't do that on any AR regardless of vintage or Maura's madness. [thinking]

Unless it's some sort of trick question, I don't see why not. You are just replacing some internal parts with different parts with no functional changes at all. I don't see why you couldn't do that on any AR regardless of vintage or Maura's madness. [thinking]

Thanks Fudd. No, it's not a trick question. The reason I ask is I thought I recall someone on NES or from Healey's office saying you would be in violation if you repaired your AR15 in anyway (fixing broken gas tube, not being able to send the rifle off to maker for repairs, etc) after 7/20/2016. I'm just trying to stay in compliance and make sense of all this just like everyone else. I would like to replace charging handle just a cosmetic color feature...nothing wrong with currrent handle. I like to tinker and was considering a similar thing for my BCG.

Thanks Fudd. No, it's not a trick question. The reason I ask is I thought I recall someone on NES or from Healey's office saying you would be in violation if you repaired your AR15 in anyway (fixing broken gas tube, not being able to send the rifle off to maker for repairs, etc) after 7/20/2016. I'm just trying to stay in compliance and make sense of all this just like everyone else. I would like to replace charging handle just a cosmetic color feature...nothing wrong with current handle. I like to tinker and was considering a similar thing for my BCG.
As crazy and unpredictable as Maura is, I hadn't heard anything like that. You probably read something on the topic of replacing neutered (MA-compliant) evil parts with non-neutered evil parts given that Maura no longer recognizes any difference in the legal status of such "assault weapons" here in our loony moonbat state. Some people don't think that is a very wise idea while the court challenge to Maura's madness is still pending. [thinking]

Thanks Fudd. No, it's not a trick question. The reason I ask is I thought I recall someone on NES or from Healey's office saying you would be in violation if you repaired your AR15 in anyway (fixing broken gas tube, not being able to send the rifle off to maker for repairs, etc) after 7/20/2016. I'm just trying to stay in compliance and make sense of all this just like everyone else. I would like to replace charging handle just a cosmetic color feature...nothing wrong with currrent handle. I like to tinker and was considering a similar thing for my BCG.

As stupid as law by FAQ is, her FAQ says you can send your rifle for repairs, and they can send it back. so you repairing your own rifle should be a non issue.

Not quite true. .22LR ARs are still legal regardless of date (but MGL AWB still applies to features) according to the AG.

FTF of the guns the AG declared "illegal", if they were "registered" in MA prior to 7/20/16 according to the AG, they can still be transferred legally, just not by dealers.

I'm struggling with this one...

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/guns-that-are-not-assault-weapons.html

Based on the way I read this, to me, if it's a 22 it's exempt from the AWB.

"Q: Are there examples or categories of weapons that are not assault weapons?

• Any .17 or .22 caliber rimfire rifle;"

I take this to mean any rimfire rifle, whether it's AR platform or otherwise.

Does this mean things like a .22 cal AR, an M&P 15-22, or an Archangel'd out Ruger 10/22 can now have all the evil features in the world? (Time for picatinny bayonet lugs!)

She's specifically calling out those calibers as not included in the MA AWB.

I'm struggling with this one...

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/guns-that-are-not-assault-weapons.html

Based on the way I read this, to me, if it's a 22 it's exempt from the AWB.

"Q: Are there examples or categories of weapons that are not assault weapons?

• Any .17 or .22 caliber rimfire rifle;"

I take this to mean any rimfire rifle, whether it's AR platform or otherwise.

Does this mean things like a .22 cal AR, an M&P 15-22, or an Archangel'd out Ruger 10/22 can now have all the evil features in the world? (Time for picatinny bayonet lugs!)

She's specifically calling out those calibers as not included in the MA AWB.

There is no exemption for rimfire in the actual law so nobody but the person who wrote that FAQ knows what they're thinking.

There is no exemption for rimfire in the actual law so nobody but the person who wrote that FAQ knows what they're thinking.

More like abide by MGL as passed by the legislature (which means you can't add evil features to that Ruger 10/22) and you are GTG.

The AG's "clarification" means that her made up BS about every AR/AK being illegal does not apply to .22RF anything (including ARs or AKs originally built in .22LR).

What about guns/receivers that were sold by FFLs on 7/20/16, nobody talks of these. All the documentation talks about prior to or after 7/20, the date itself seems to be in limbo. There were huge numbers of sales in this day, what happens to those guns? Are they super-illegal?

What about guns/receivers that were sold by FFLs on 7/20/16, nobody talks of these. All the documentation talks about prior to or after 7/20, the date itself seems to be in limbo. There were huge numbers of sales in this day, what happens to those guns? Are they super-illegal?
Dimples the Tyrant is still mad about the how that day played out. Actually, I am too. [angry]

I suspect she will want to keep us in the dark and guessing for as long as possible. [thinking]

Any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition

So would an "AR-Maglock" like device (developed for california laws: pull the takedown, drop the mag, close the upper and lower, reseat the takedown, insert mag) and a 5 round (jeez, getting stingy with what the queen allows us) magazine be legal in MA?

I know this is the AWB thread but it's semi related:Furthermore, if this method is legal for converting a rifle into a fixed magazine, would this rifle now be FID compliant as it no longer is a large capacity firearm?

This may be a dumb question. I have been reading a lot of these threads but I can't seem to find the answer. If you build an AR starting with an 80% lower does it still have to meet the AWB requirements?

This may be a dumb question. I have been reading a lot of these threads but I can't seem to find the answer. If you build an AR starting with an 80% lower does it still have to meet the AWB requirements?

The final product capable of firing a shot is subject to MA AWB.

Pre-1994 rifles are exempt from MA AWB.

The final product capable of firing a shot is subject to MA AWB.

Pre-1994 rifles are exempt from MA AWB.

Okay, thanks. Someone told me that you do not have to register it because you built it, is that true? With our overly-strict laws that seems hard to believe, but what if the lower doesn't have a serial number?

Okay, thanks. Someone told me that you do not have to register it because you built it, is that true? With our overly-strict laws that seems hard to believe, but what if the lower doesn't have a serial number?

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.

Translation: If you obtain a gun from any source other than a MA dealer or a private sale that was reported on an eFA10, you have to register it. There is no exception for guns that don't have a serial number.

You don't have to put a serial number on it if you build it and it is for your use. You do need to FA-10 it per MGL. Not that I think FA-10ing a new AR build is a particularity good idea!! Even before 7/20 it didn't make much sense to me to build out an 80% lower and then "register" it.

MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

Register it unless you moved into the state with it. Also, atf.gov and MGL have some info on non-serialized firearms (read: keep it legal, otherwise you may get in serious trouble).

Last edited:
You don't have to put a serial number on it if you build it and it is for your use. You do need to FA-10 it per MGL. Not that I think FA-10ing a new AR build is a particularity good idea!! Even before 7/20 it didn't make much sense to me to build out an 80% lower and then "register" it.
Okay so here and some people I know IRL have differing opinions. Is this one of those grey areas(edit:sorry for double post, haven't used forums forever, forgot about multi-quote)

Last edited:
Okay so here and some people I know IRL have differing opinions. Is this one of those grey areas(edit:sorry for double post, haven't used forums forever, forgot about multi-quote)

It isn't a gray area per MGL. What people do is their own business until they get jammed up. And yes, most LEOs and DAs believe that ALL guns must be registered (even those you moved in with - NOT true per MGL, but I was involved in a case where the DA tried to convince the judge that the guy was guilty of the crime of non-registration).

It isn't a gray area per MGL. What people do is their own business until they get jammed up. And yes, most LEOs and DAs believe that ALL guns must be registered (even those you moved in with - NOT true per MGL, but I was involved in a case where the DA tried to convince the judge that the guy was guilty of the crime of non-registration).
Ahh, okay, thanks. I assume all this is the same with those DIY glock kits?

Most of the people that shoot 3gun use AR-15 style rifles. What's a Mass resident do to compete?

Ignore the AG. I see mostly ARs at our CMP matches and when people are shooting on the rifle ranges. She said that we're all felons for having possessed them since 1994 but she won't prosecute us, so it is business as usual at the range. As of now it is only dealers who are screwed. Anyone else hiding their ARs in Mom's basement and afraid of going to the range is just paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom