MA Compliant Trigger

I am sure this question is somewhere within the forum but I can't seem to find. I understand that Massachusetts dealers are required by AG regs to only sell handguns (or firearms in gewneral) that are Mass compliant. One of the compliance issues being 10# pull. Am I wrong in assuming that this reg is strictly for the selling of a handgun. IOW, as a Mass resident [crying] [crying] , can I have a trigger job performed on my handgun to ease up on the trigger pull without being in violation of AG's rules. Thanks for your help.

As long as it's on the list I think it's OK. Check with the gunsmith you're going to use first though.

I had an issue with this last year, but the gun I wanted to have the trigger job on isn't on the list. The gunsmith told me that he couldn't do the work on it.

Last edited:
As long as it's on the list I think it's OK. Check with the gunsmith you're going to use first though.

I had an issue with this last year, but the gun I wanted to have the trigger job on isn't on the list. The gunsmith told me that he couldn't do the work on it.

That is untrue.... there is no law in MA prohibiting the aftermarket modification
of a trigger on a handgun, regardless of wether it is on or off list or
whatever. The compliance regs ONLY cover the sales of handguns by an
MA licensed gun dealer.

-Mike

As I recall, it was some issue about the transfer of the firearm from him back to me. I thought it was BS at the time, but didn't care enough to look into it.

A lot of gunsmiths seem to be confused about the difference between "sales" and transfer of your own property back to you. Education doesn't seem to produce anything in these cases. I'd just look for someone else.

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

frank

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

frank

I believe that is transfer as in transfer ownership as in file an FA-10

If I let you borrow (take posession for a short period of time) my gun, it has nt been transferred.

Last edited:
Also unless the gunsmith is an FFL actually selling the gun, the gunsmith would not be considered a "purveyor".

But then again IANAL and could be 100% wrong :)

It mainly applies to DA triggers as single action triggers require multiple motions to discharge the firearms.

It mainly applies to DA triggers as single action triggers require multiple motions to discharge the firearms.

So do pre-1998 Glocks get away with a 5lb trigger due to some kind of grandfathering aspect?

Or perhaps the AG can't figure out whether Glocks are SA or DA :)

Pre 1998 Glocks get away with it based on the fact that they are pre-1998 and the AG specifically exempted all handguns (EOPS or not) made before that date.

Also unless the gunsmith is an FFL actually selling the gun, the gunsmith would not be considered a "purveyor".

But then again IANAL and could be 100% wrong :)

He's not a "handgun purveyor" if he sells only 4 guns a year. So it is possible (although would be rare) to find a Type 01 that doesn't sell firearms... but he
would have to burn up one of his 4 personal transfers on you.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom