MA Gun Laws

hrrmm...... time to research low capacity rifles chambered in 9mm.....
"no, she didn't shoot that *******'s face off with the Glock 19, she used this 9mm carbine....."

good thing i've got three kids:

Crew-Served-for-Little-Ones.jpg

Last edited:
And therefore, to answer my own question I guess, basically in MA you just have to hope that it "never happens to me", and if it does, then say "fork it", use the weapon and face the consequences, but, at least, facing a MA judge - and not St. Peter at the gates.

Flipside, which I just thought of: teach teach teach and preach preach preach, to wife and daughter to defend themselves, tell daughter to use her rifle, if no other option available. Then BEFORE calling 911, make sure every pistol is locked up... Except the rifle, which she was in "full control of" at the time .. just as the bad guy(s) picked the unfortunate (for them) moment to kick the window in.. as my daughter was about to clean her rifle. Bad timing, eh?
But, is that where we're at in this state? (ps:thanks Len)

This conversation is, I think, related to this article. A law must be bad if it prevents people from protecting themselves. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/saud...-for-driving-herself-the-hospital-564830.html

I have a follow up question RE: daughter with an FID vs wife and I with LTC. I have kids too young for even an FID. We, of course keep our guns and ammo locked. We use a key lock, not a code lock or bio-metric lock. Lets say, hypothetically, that I keep a key to the safe on my key chain, the same key chain I keep my car keys, house keys, office keys, file cabinet keys, etc. What if I leave my keys on the kitchen table and go outside to mow the lawn? What do LEOS or courts think of that? What is the best practice for where you keep the safe keys?

If you leave the keys accessible to the unauthorized at any time and it comes to LE attention, you will be in for a very bad and expensive few years.

If you leave the keys accessible to the unauthorized at any time and it comes to LE attention, you will be in for a very bad and expensive few years.

Thanks for the reply. So....what is best practice in term of where do you keep the key to the gun cabinet? On a chain around my neck? In a safe? Then what do I do with the key to THAT safe? Do I send one set of keys to relatives in Florida, and bury the other set in the back yard 6 feet deep, and leave it unmarked? Do I do like they do in prison in keep it secured up the pooper? I'm joking, but only a little bit.

First, leaving any unlocked gun in the house is illegal unless it is within arm's reach of a licensed person. Some may disagree but most LE will see it this way (under control has never been really defined). If she leaves the room to go to the kitchen/bathroom/car/etc. and the gun is unlocked you all could get jacked up badly..

So if I'm cleaning my Glock, haven't disassembled yet or have cleaned and reassembled, and step I away to take a piss, that's illegal? In my own friggin house?

So if I'm cleaning my Glock, haven't disassembled yet or have cleaned and reassembled, and step I away to take a piss, that's illegal? In my own friggin house?

Even if it's completely disassembled, Yes. For instance, you can't just take the bolt out of a bolt action gun and leave it unlocked.

Wow. So basically, everyone of you all are felons, because if you have a gun safe with a key, then at some point, at some time, somewhere, you must have been less than arms reach from those keys. If you have a gun safe with a code, you cannot prove that your non-legal relatives friends didn't know the code, because of course you told them the code and wrote it on every bathroom wall within 15 miles, so again, you've committed a felony. And if you have a bio-metric safe, either the batteries have died, and your guns are lost forever or there is a backup key that you allowed unauthorized people near.

Me, on the other hand, keep all my guns in a pocket universe that only I have magic powers to be able to open.

And yeah, MA gun laws suck and are stupid. Makes my brain hurt just contemplating the immense idiocy.

First, leaving any unlocked gun in the house is illegal unless it is within arm's reach of a licensed person. Some may disagree but most LE will see it this way (under control has never been really defined).

Patterson v. Commonwealth has this, which goes a long way to define it:

2. Sufficiency of evidence of "control". The firearm storage statute applies to weapons when they are neither carried nor under the control of their owner or other authorized user. […] The defendant does not contend that he was carrying the gun within the meaning of the statute at the time of the offense. […] He does, however, argue that the Commonwealth failed to prove that the gun was not under his "control." We must assess, therefore, the meaning of that term for purposes of the gun storage statute.

"Control" is not defined by the statute, and we have found no case construing the term in this context. Ordinary rules of statutory construction lead to the conclusion that "control" is not synonymous with the term "carried." Otherwise, there would have been no need for the Legislature to have used both terms in the statute. […] "Carried" is also undefined by the statute, but at a minimum it requires actual physical possession. What else might be required is a question left for another day, although we note that in the related context of G. L. c. 269, § 10(a), "carrying" requires nontemporary physical possession together with movement. […]

While a gun for purposes of the firearm storage statute need not necessarily be in the actual physical possession of its owner or authorized user in order to be under that individual's "control," it must be readily at hand. The statute is part of an over-all scheme of gun control legislation designed "to prevent the temptation and the ability to use firearms to inflict harm, be it negligently or intentionally, on another or on oneself." […] The firearm storage statute itself "is illustrative of the societal concern with weapons reaching the hands of unauthorized users." […] Understanding that the purpose of the statute is to guard against the use of firearms by unauthorized, incompetent, or irresponsible persons, it becomes clear that a firearm is within the "control" of its owner or authorized user only when that person has it sufficiently nearby to prevent immediately its unauthorized use. […]

Of course, the determination whether a particular firearm is under an individual's control will depend on the facts and circumstances of any given case. Among other things, consideration should be given to the firearm's location, its proximity to its authorized user or owner, and that person's ability to reach immediately the gun. It is clear to us that the Commonwealth satisfied its burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the gun was not under the defendant's control in this case. The gun was stored in the pocket of a jacket hanging in an upstairs closet. The defendant was downstairs. The gun was out of its holster, which was lying on the kitchen floor. Children were present, including a young boy who at times was closer to the gun than was the defendant. The jury had more than sufficient evidence upon which to find that the gun was not within the defendant's control.

Last edited:
". . . a firearm is within the 'control' of its owner or authorized user only when that person has it sufficiently nearby to prevent immediately its unauthorized use."

So? What does that mean? Does it mean arms reach? Across the room? If you are the only person in the house and the doors are locked can you be in the next room?

Once again, the SJC had a golden opportunity to clarify the law and they muddied the water instead.

And if someone comes up behind you and incapacitates you then you are no longer in 'control to prevent unauthorized use' even if you are 'carrying'.

Physical attack in your own home makes you a felon by law. Isn't that nice?

And if someone comes up behind you and incapacitates you then you are no longer in 'control to prevent unauthorized use' even if you are 'carrying'.

Physical attack in your own home makes you a felon by law. Isn't that nice?

Understand that you are ultimately not bound by, and are in fact obligated to defy, unjust laws. Have any of you ever read Rev. Martin Luther King's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail?" Even if you have, I suggest you re-read it. Now, if you aren't a Christian I can't really help you and you won't probably buy what he is saying with regard to the difference between just and unjust laws.

Suffice to say that laws that are morally unjust (do not square with those of God) and are passed to impose the will of the majority over the minority (i.e. non-gunowners over gun-owners) in a non-uniform or deliberately-punitive way expressly to punish the minority, SHOULD NOT to be followed. Yes you will be prosecuted if caught, but by following these unjust laws you are consenting to and even advocating for, them.

If everyone in your household has their LTC, does that render the storage requirement moot? Everyone would be an authorized user. Only issue would be if you had visitors.

Doesn't matter, safe storage BS still applies.

-Mike

Understand that you are ultimately not bound by, and are in fact obligated to defy, unjust laws. Have any of you ever read Rev. Martin Luther King's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail?" Even if you have, I suggest you re-read it. Now, if you aren't a Christian I can't really help you and you won't probably buy what he is saying with regard to the difference between just and unjust laws.

Suffice to say that laws that are morally unjust (do not square with those of God) and are passed to impose the will of the majority over the minority (i.e. non-gunowners over gun-owners) in a non-uniform or deliberately-punitive way expressly to punish the minority, SHOULD NOT to be followed. Yes you will be prosecuted if caught, but by following these unjust laws you are consenting to and even advocating for, them.

let me help out.

http://www.uscrossier.org/pullias/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/king.pdf

Has anyone written up a readable summary of what the new gun laws in MA that take effect in 2015 mean to us, in practical (as opposed to political) terms?

Has anyone written up a readable summary of what the new gun laws in MA that take effect in 2015 mean to us, in practical (as opposed to political) terms?

Yes, Comm2A has and the link has been posted here a few times. Take a look at their website. I'll also shortly be offering a mini-seminar just on all the changes in the law. I'm in the process of creating it.

This is too random to deserve its own thread but something just came up in a discussion with a friend. Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-1898 firearms are considered antiques, rather than firearms, right? That is, you don't technically need a license to possess an antique firearm and you don't need to keep it locked per "normal" MA laws. Well then... can you carry something like an old flintlock pistol without a license?

This is too random to deserve its own thread but something just came up in a discussion with a friend. Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-1898 firearms are considered antiques, rather than firearms, right? That is, you don't technically need a license to possess an antique firearm and you don't need to keep it locked per "normal" MA laws. Well then... can you carry something like an old flintlock pistol without a license?

You don't need a license for the gun, but you do need a license for blackpowder and any other ammunition. So the only way you could carry the pistol would be if it was unloaded. Also, it is unclear to me whether, even unloaded, it would still be considered a generic "dangerous weapon".

Yes, Comm2A has and the link has been posted here a few times. Take a look at their website. I'll also shortly be offering a mini-seminar just on all the changes in the law. I'm in the process of creating it.

You can see a poster in your town or city hall, or in the statehouse bookstore:

MA gun laws (poster)

I'd like to test out a new AR15 lower receiver I assembled, with an existing upper. To do this I think I am meant to E-FA10 the receiver first, so that it wont constitute an unregistered rifle.

However, the upper I plan to eventually put on this lower is going to be a 20" barrel, wheres the only other upper I have right now is 16". Whats the correct thing to do here (i.e., to use the same lower in both a 16 and 20 inch configuration).

I'd like to test out a new AR15 lower receiver I assembled, with an existing upper. To do this I think I am meant to E-FA10 the receiver first, so that it wont constitute an unregistered rifle.

However, the upper I plan to eventually put on this lower is going to be a 20" barrel, wheres the only other upper I have right now is 16". Whats the correct thing to do here (i.e., to use the same lower in both a 16 and 20 inch configuration).

Register it in the first configuration you build it where it is capable of firing. There is no requirement to notify or re-register the same lower once you've done it once.

This might be redundant but im limited on time....If I were to buy a pistol or long rifle in NH, I would first make sure it was compliant, or I would have a gun smith make it compliant. Then to bring it back to MA I would need to fill out an FA10 form if im correct. But every time I search for it all I get is a page saying E-FA10 forms replaced FA10 forms. So what would I need to do to bring a pistol back to MA from a different state

Back
Top Bottom