MA Gun Laws

I'm hoping to get out and do some walking/hiking Thursday morning before Thanksgiving dinner. Most of the spots I'm considering going to are hunting areas, I have a hunting license, and I'll be carrying a pistol. Can my activities be misconstrued as hunting? I'll be staying in marked trails. Just don't want to risk having an EPO claim that I'm "hunting" with my handgun.

I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably at a swimming pool sitting in their truck, at home doing paperwork or washing their trucks.
http://www.wcvb.com/article/governor-orders-investigation-of-state-environmental-police/8280467
Stellar. Although last time I did go hunting an EPO was there in the afternoon (granted, it was opening day) checking licenses. Some dude got in trouble - he was "scouting for deer" wearing full camo (everyone else had orange for pheasant) and carrying a handgun.

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I ask the wrong question in the wrong category. I was told this is where I should be asking any gun law questions. So to try and keep things short and simple, I do not have an LTC or an FID, I was arrested twice in my early 20's but both cases were CWOF (Continued without a finding) No felony record that I'm aware of. Can I build my own firearms and keep them in my home for protection?

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I ask the wrong question in the wrong category. I was told this is where I should be asking any gun law questions. So to try and keep things short and simple, I do not have an LTC or an FID, I was arrested twice in my early 20's but both cases were CWOF (Continued without a finding) No felony record that I'm aware of. Can I build my own firearms and keep them in my home for protection?

To possess a gun in MA (or even spent ammo cases) requires a MA LTC or FID (low-capacity long gun only & ammo for same). So if you build it, once it can fire a shot you are committing a felony possessing it without a MA LTC/FID.

What if I built a firearm but made it so that it could not shoot, for example, maybe plug the barrel with a weld or something along those lines. I've been reading a lot about 80% receivers and parts kits and I've been wanting to build my own firearms for display but I obviously don't want to get in trouble for it. I mean I could probably just display the parts kit and 80% receiver and leave it at that but I'd like it to have some sort of action to it, like a cocking action or trigger action, something that would represent how the firearm worked. I've also read about non-firing, demilitarized firearms but then that takes the fun out of building one myself.

What if I built a firearm but made it so that it could not shoot, for example, maybe plug the barrel with a weld or something along those lines. I've been reading a lot about 80% receivers and parts kits and I've been wanting to build my own firearms for display but I obviously don't want to get in trouble for it. I mean I could probably just display the parts kit and 80% receiver and leave it at that but I'd like it to have some sort of action to it, like a cocking action or trigger action, something that would represent how the firearm worked. I've also read about non-firing, demilitarized firearms but then that takes the fun out of building one myself.

Even if you made it non-functional by doing something like plugging the barrel, you would be treading on very shaky legal ground. Nobody here is going to assure you that such an action is definitely legal, especially now that our Attorney General has declared that even an AR receiver is a banned Assault Weapon (depite the law not actually saying so).

Is there something you're not telling us? Why are trying to build a super secret gun? Why not just apply for your LTC?

Is there something you're not telling us? Why are trying to build a super secret gun? Why not just apply for your LTC?

This..

If you were not convicted, then you are not statutorily disqualified. The ol' "Innocent until proven guilty," thing. Although, depending on what you did not get convicted for, the Chief of Police may use "discretion" to make it difficult.

This..

If you were not convicted, then you are not statutorily disqualified. The ol' "Innocent until proven guilty," thing. Although, depending on what you did not get convicted for, the Chief of Police may use "discretion" to make it difficult.

In the eyes of our PD CWOF equals conviction no question..... unless you're a cop or have unlimited $$$$

I'm not trying to build a super secret gun, I've recently started going to the shooting range this past year and just fell in love with everything GUNS. Started doing some research and found out about 80% receivers and parts kits and would love to build my own as I like building things. I've read a couple times that it's not illegal to build your own firearm as long as your allowed to possess firearms, at first I thought that just meant no felony convictions, but now that I've asked around a bit it's starting to sound like I need to have an LTC to build my own firearms. I was caught with class A twice in my early twenties and as I've mentioned both cases were CWOF and I got probation both times. I am however currently trying to figure out my best option of going about getting my LTC, if it's even possible. I was trying to get my LTC some 10 or more years ago, I did the safety course and received the certificate, I have two references, I was right about there then the CWOF's happened. Now at present time, I would like to try again but will definitely have to do the course over again, as I'm sure I can't use a 15 year old safety course certificate (I think I heard somewhere 2 years is the oldest, anything beyond that I would have to retake the course). So I am looking into getting my LTC right now, I've even recently contacted Jason Guida to see what my options were, but, in the meantime I was trying to figure out the legalities of building your own firearm because I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be doing anything illegal if I took an 80% receiver and parts kit approach but now that you guys told me what's what, I'm just going to try and get my LTC first. I appreciate all the help and advice as I DO NOT want to end up like that kid serving an 18 month sentence in that link that was provided. Thanks

I'm not trying to build a super secret gun, I've recently started going to the shooting range this past year and just fell in love with everything GUNS. Started doing some research and found out about 80% receivers and parts kits and would love to build my own as I like building things. I've read a couple times that it's not illegal to build your own firearm as long as your allowed to possess firearms, at first I thought that just meant no felony convictions, but now that I've asked around a bit it's starting to sound like I need to have an LTC to build my own firearms. I was caught with class A twice in my early twenties and as I've mentioned both cases were CWOF and I got probation both times. I am however currently trying to figure out my best option of going about getting my LTC, if it's even possible. I was trying to get my LTC some 10 or more years ago, I did the safety course and received the certificate, I have two references, I was right about there then the CWOF's happened. Now at present time, I would like to try again but will definitely have to do the course over again, as I'm sure I can't use a 15 year old safety course certificate (I think I heard somewhere 2 years is the oldest, anything beyond that I would have to retake the course). So I am looking into getting my LTC right now, I've even recently contacted Jason Guida to see what my options were, but, in the meantime I was trying to figure out the legalities of building your own firearm because I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be doing anything illegal if I took an 80% receiver and parts kit approach but now that you guys told me what's what, I'm just going to try and get my LTC first. I appreciate all the help and advice as I DO NOT want to end up like that kid serving an 18 month sentence in that link that was provided. Thanks

Yeah, the whole 80% receiver thing is a lot more useful in states that don't require a license to merely possess a gun (which is the vast majority of states).

Per MGL, training certificates (currently) are good forever. However, some PDs won't accept any Hunter Ed certificates, others set a deadline of anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after which they demand that you re-take the course. So asking the PD in the town you live in is the smartest thing before laying out money for another course.

Given your past, yes Jason Guida is a wise move prior to applying. You only get to make a first impression one time, so it better be the best you can do if you have "a past".

Good luck.

I have a mini 14 and I want to change the furniture to have a pistol grip is it possible and is it legal? The other question is what am I able put on for attachment if any

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a mini 14 and I want to change the furniture to have a pistol grip is it possible and is it legal? The other question is what am I able put on for attachment if any

If it was manufactured before '94, do whatever you want. If not, you can only have one of:
- pistol grip
- flash hider or threaded muzzle
- bayonette mount
- foldable or telescoping stock
- grenade launcher

I recently put my mini as a project gun in an Archangel Sparta. I had to pin the compensator. I also removed the lever to prevent the stock from being easily moved.
It essentially looks like this, I'm too lazy to go and take a photo this is from the web, considering I am still waiting on some scope mounts, I will take a photo when this project is done. I am calling it Modern A-Team [rofl]or maybe FUMaura (cuz she said it was legal)....
hqdefault.jpg

That's pretty much what I want to do but does that mean I can only have one of those listed cause it is not preban or can I have only one of each of those listed. Also where did you get the compensator can only find a flash hider and a muzzle brake

That's pretty much what I want to do but does that mean I can only have one of those listed cause it is not preban or can I have only one of each of those listed. Also where did you get the compensator can only find a flash hider and a muzzle brake

Since it is not a pre-ban rifle, you can only have one of those features total on the rifle. You can do what babygorilla did. Pin and weld the comp and make the stock fixed.

You can't have flash hiders (or suppressors) as specified in the MA law, and any other muzzle devices must be pinned and welded, or silver soldered on (high temp). So any device listed as a brake (or comp) can be used. Just ensure that the manufacturer does not call it a flash hider and you are good to go.

So Im wondering if 45acp rifles like a Thompson (without a bayo lug) or the Kriss Vestor are Mass legal. They dont have the action of the Evil firearms so they arent clones and the only have one out of the bad list besides the detachable Magazine. anybody had any luck with these

So Im wondering if 45acp rifles like a Thompson (without a bayo lug) or the Kriss Vestor are Mass legal. They dont have the action of the Evil firearms so they arent clones and the only have one out of the bad list besides the detachable Magazine. anybody had any luck with these
Yeah, semi auto rifles that are not on the list and awb compliant should still be fine. Tavor and high points too

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Lol, "should be" seems to be the problem with anything about this topic, your reading of it came out like mine but any dealers on here selling these or has anyone bought anything new besides a .22 blunderbuss built in 1753 lately

Back
Top Bottom