• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Laws

Noobeee question, if I have a hunting target restriction in Boston is my detached garage considered part of my home? If I’m working in my detached garage am I aloud to have my firearm on me?

Depends on what BPD says. I would try to query the LO, preferably via Email to get a written response.

42! Carrying outside your restriction is not a criminal offense so legally they have no grounds for an arrest. Revoking the LTC they certainly have legal grounds to do that.

42! Carrying outside your restriction is not a criminal offense so legally they have no grounds for an arrest. Revoking the LTC they certainly have legal grounds to do that.
I stand corrected. But let's be honest, when has not having a legitimate reason for an arrest ever prevented an arrest if that's what the PO wants to do. Sure, it'll get tossed in court, but the arrest still happens.

I stand corrected. But let's be honest, when has not having a legitimate reason for an arrest ever prevented an arrest if that's what the PO wants to do. Sure, it'll get tossed in court, but the arrest still happens.
That's why I stated "legally".

My friend is a gunsmith in CT and would like him to do some trigger modifications on my pre-ban AR lower. I have MA LTC A and a CT non-resident conceal carry permit. What restriction are there for interstate round trip transport MA -> CT -> MA. I'd probably leave the lower with him for week or so while he works on it.

This post is about the Basic Firearms Safety courses that satisfy the state (MA) requirement for an LTC application.

The list of courses is found in a PDF at mass.gov. It says that the NRA Home Safety course (LTC-007) which was previously only for FID has been upgraded to now serve for LTC applications. NRA Basic Pistol (LTC-002) is still on the list. It seems several places are just doing shorter 4 hour courses (e.g., Mass Firearms School). Like many, I am certified to teach NRA Basic Pistol but not Home Safety. Curious what other Instructors are doing for new applicants.

@Len-2A Training
Pin# question-

Moving across town, so town of residency is the same.
12 Years ago, I had to let the c.o.p of both towns I was moving from one t the other.
Are there any recent changes (within the last 12 years) that would require a new pin for a cross-town move?
Aside from letting the chief know I'm moving from point A to point B

Waiting on my LTC after getting my fingers printed. Can Iegally buy stuff like snapcaps, holsters, gun belts, etc. right now or am I going to have to wait for the LTC to come first?

I live in Andover and I officially applied for my LTC around May 2020, and a week before Thanksgiving, I got my fingers printed and am now waiting on them to call me back. Is it normal to have waited that long for fingerprints? Am I going to have to wait just as long to get my license?

Also, could someone please explain to me the process of buying a gun online, in person, or in a store? (Forms and paperwork that have to be filled, etc.)

Finally, I have interest in getting a semiauto rifle some time in the future. As far as I know, if it was made before 1994, it can as many features as you want, but what about rifles made in between 94 and 2016? I'm asking because I have interest in getting an AR15, PTR91, PSL, or SCAR17S in the future and I'd like to know the legality of those rifles in MA

So if I drive down from NH into Mass with my gun in the console, what am I looking at Legally? Not being a wiseguy. didn’t initially plan on crossing the border and then realized I had my gun with me.

So if I drive down from NH into Mass with my gun in the console, what am I looking at Legally? Not being a wiseguy. didn’t initially plan on crossing the border and then realized I had my gun with me.
Major legal pain if caught, especially if you are not committing a more serious crime that makes the gun charge a "throw away". People can and have been given prison sentences for simple possession in MA.

You've never seen the signs on the border telling you 1 year mandatory for having a gun without a MA license?

I live in Andover and I officially applied for my LTC around May 2020, and a week before Thanksgiving, I got my fingers printed and am now waiting on them to call me back. Is it normal to have waited that long for fingerprints? Am I going to have to wait just as long to get my license?

Also, could someone please explain to me the process of buying a gun online, in person, or in a store? (Forms and paperwork that have to be filled, etc.)

Finally, I have interest in getting a semiauto rifle some time in the future. As far as I know, if it was made before 1994, it can as many features as you want, but what about rifles made in between 94 and 2016? I'm asking because I have interest in getting an AR15, PTR91, PSL, or SCAR17S in the future and I'd like to know the legality of those rifles in MA

Wow, that’s a ridiculous amount of time! I live south of Gillette stadium and it took me a little over 2 months to get my LTC this year (early August to mid-October).

Buying a gun in a MA store is relatively easy: Walk in w/ your LTC, pick out the gun and tell them you want it. The paperwork is simple and they will walk you through it. It’s mostly information that you already provided when you filed for your LTC: address, ethnicity, SSN, etc. After you pay, you’ll walk out with your gun.

I looked into doing an online buy from out of state but didn’t go through with it because the store wouldn’t swap the mags for 10 rounders.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for in state, don’t forget to look at out of state stores too. There are a couple of stores in RI that are quite familiar w/ the process of selling to a MA resident and will walk you through it.

What if the gun is unloaded and locked in a case. Will FOPA cover him. Interstate travel.

With FOPA you need to be legally able to possess the firearm in both your home state and the destination state. If MA is the destination he'd need an MA non-resident license.

FOPA would cover him if he were driving from NH to Kentucky, for example. As long as it was kept locked up during travel, with only minor stops for gas, etc., he'd be good to go.

the short version - in a store they will have you fill out the form 4473. just read it carefully and answer honestly. ask if you have a question before filling it out.
Online purchases (of guns) have to be shipped to an FFL (store) where again you will be filling out the 4473. In person, in MA, you and the seller meet, show IDs and the person selling is supposed to do an eFA-10. Try to have it done on the spot and get a copy (physical or pdf) on the spot.

With FOPA you need to be legally able to possess the firearm in both your home state and the destination state. If MA is the destination he'd need an MA non-resident license.

FOPA would cover him if he were driving from NH to Kentucky, for example. As long as it was kept locked up during travel, with only minor stops for gas, etc., he'd be good to go.
He came from NH and was going to NH. Happened to dip into Mass?

Back
Top Bottom