• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Laws

I'm a former Mass resident. I retired and moved north a few years back.
I'm attempting to help a newly licensed friend navigate the waters to a purchase, or a decision prior to availability at a LGS. I accessed the approved roster and it appears tat there is more than one. His LTC is large cap .Which is the correct list please? Thanks!

I'm attempting to help a newly licensed friend navigate the waters to a purchase, or a decision prior to availability at a LGS. I accessed the approved roster and it appears tat there is more than one. His LTC is large cap .Which is the correct list please? Thanks!
The list doesn't matter. There's no more LTC-B so that distinction is gone; all LTCs support "large capacity" firearms.
If a dealer will sell it, your friend is fine. If they can find it used, that's fine, too. If they're curious about things that 4S and MFS don't stock, take a look at The Mill.

The list doesn't matter. There's no more LTC-B so that distinction is gone; all LTCs support "large capacity" firearms.
If a dealer will sell it, your friend is fine. If they can find it used, that's fine, too. If they're curious about things that 4S and MFS don't stock, take a look at The Mill.
Thank you for the fast response.
Is the roster out of the picture now?
For instance, Kimber has 2 pistols on their site that they show as Mass compliant, but the roster does not list any Kimber pistols.
I'd expect no less from Baker and Healey.

Thank you for the fast response.
Is the roster out of the picture now?
For instance, Kimber has 2 pistols on their site that they show as Mass compliant, but the roster does not list any Kimber pistols.
I'd expect no less from Baker and Healey.
The roster exists. There's also the "AG's unofficial non-list list." But all of this is restriction on the seller, not the buyer.

If there's something your friend wants, and the usual (volume) retailers can't help them, they can try someone else. The one thing that's harder is revolvers.

In before @drgrant tells us "friends don't let friends buy Kimbers."

The roster exists. There's also the "AG's unofficial non-list list." But all of this is restriction on the seller, not the buyer.

If there's something your friend wants, and the usual (volume) retailers can't help them, they can try someone else. The one thing that's harder is revolvers.

Unless its a revolver. Their revolvers are nice. Maybe they should stick to that. 🤣

It's ironic that a manufacturer devotes a webpage to Mass compliant pistols and they aren't on the roster. Both pistols on Kimber page were autos. Also, no Colts at all.
They might have guns on the target roster, which has less requirements. I think there are colts on that roster now, too.

That depends - are you going to share the info you found here? Knowing where to find answers is arguably as important as knowing the answers.
Yes, of course. Already called him.
He was just as confused as I was. I guess that it's confusing to publish a roster and find that it's not accurate or incomplete.
The story began when he told me about a friend who just bought a Kimber, I told him that I never saw one listed before. LOL.

He was just as confused as I was. I guess that it's confusing to publish a roster and find that it's not accurate or incomplete.
The story began when he told me about a friend who just bought a Kimber, I told him that I never saw one listed before. LOL.
The list is updated regularly. Whatever is on the state site is accurate and complete, with the understanding that there are two (or three?) parts.

Separately, that only matters for dealers, not buyers. Different dealers have different business models. Some just want to do what's easy and safe. Others focus on what's defined by law.

Is incumbent on a buyer to find a dealer who meets their needs, and buy what they want.

I'll add that there is some level of interpretation by the FFL as to what can and can't be sold. So in the end it's best to ask the dealer you want to buy from, or is doing the transfer.

The roster is accurate and updated regularly. But being on the list is a “necessary but not sufficient” thing. Handguns also need to be compliant with the AGs regulations and the Ag doesn’t provide a roster or an explanation of her regulations.

That said, these regulations govern what a dealer can sell not what you can buy. Different dealers have different interpretations and appetite for risk. So dealer A might sell a gun that dealer B will not.

Is this all an unconstitutional mess designed to infringe your rights? Yes it is.

The roster is accurate and updated regularly. But being on the list is a “necessary but not sufficient” thing. Handguns also need to be compliant with the AGs regulations and the Ag doesn’t provide a roster or an explanation of her regulations.

That said, these regulations govern what a dealer can sell not what you can buy. Different dealers have different interpretations and appetite for risk. So dealer A might sell a gun that dealer B will not.

Is this all an unconstitutional mess designed to infringe your rights? Yes it is.
the roster isn't as clear as that and is open to interpretation.
For example, gun model xx-yyyy is on the rostern but xx-yyyy-v2 is not
I've had dealer A says sorry it's a different model no sale (actually it was a transfer from out of state).
But dealer B says it's the same model just a different revision so it's GtG.

Some manufacturers will submit a model under it's sku, this means a different color would not be on the roster. Some will follow that sku to the letter others will go by what the actual model is and sell regardless of sku.

I've had dealer A says sorry it's a different model no sale (actually it was a transfer from out of state).

Some manufacturers will submit a model under it's sku, this means a different color would not be on the roster. Some will follow that sku to the letter others will go by what the actual model is and sell regardless of sku.
That's a great way of expanding his statement, "Different dealers have different interpretations and appetite for risk."

This is a prime example of the dumbest thing that mfrs do! Therefore, if they make an offer of selling the exact same gun with a 3rd mag or different grips, it results in different skus and some dealers won't transfer them! Regardless of the obvious problem, some mfrs still insist on doing this. GCAB and EOPS posts them to the list exactly how the mfr submits them. You can't fix stupid!

Congrats on escaping MA, Mark! Hope all is well.
We bought and sold reloading components to each other (in Gloucester) a number of years ago.
I can fill you in on what others here are suggesting, via PM if needed

Yes, unconstitutional is the correct word.
Thanks!

I see what you mean, I still expect no less incompetence than what I see from the state.
Thanks!

This is a prime example of the dumbest thing that mfrs do! Therefore, if they make an offer of selling the exact same gun with a 3rd mag or different grips, it results in different skus and some dealers won't transfer them! Regardless of the obvious problem, some mfrs still insist on doing this. GCAB and EOPS posts them to the list exactly how the mfr submits them. You can't fix stupid!
Thanks Len.

Congrats on escaping MA, Mark! Hope all is well.
We bought and sold reloading components to each other (in Gloucester) a number of years ago.
I can fill you in on what others here are suggesting, via PM if needed
Yes of course Andrew. I hope you’re doing well.
It started out as taking care of an elderly (more elderly) relative up here.
Thanks, just sent a check for renewal of membership. I’m going to get more shooting in now.

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been answered but I couldn't find a direct link to answer my questions. Hypothetical situations here of course:

Here are our assumptions:
Person A is living in MA, has a MA-LTC Unrestricted
Person B is not living in MA and is a resident of another state, still has residency in MA (Owns a house), and still has valid MA LTC

Person B is moving back and wants to transfer some of what he owns to Person A. Let's just say it's a few handguns including an elusive glock that he hates the grip on but Person A loves...

Person B is driving back into MA from his out of state location back to the same address that his LTC is under. Those firearms were purchased outside of MA that he wants to give to Person A.

Can :

1.) Person B EFA-10 the handguns to Person A under his current and active MA LTC
2.) Does Person B have to register those handguns prior to EFA-10 (if able)?
3.) Does Person B have to wait until he has a MA Drivers License again before conducting any of the steps above?
4.) Can Person B just give handguns to Person A to register under Person A's name absent a EFA-10
5.) Since purchased outside of state, is any registration required from any party?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom