MA LTC tied to drivers license/real ID...

So upon entering Hanscom AFB my retired civilian ID card was confiscated and I was instructed that all retired civilians are required to get Real-ID, which I did. The instructions stated to take my Real ID along with my last SF50 to the visitor's center to have it registered for base entry.

Upon scanning my Real ID the SF officer immediately states, "You have an LTC." I told her I did and she asked if I had a firearm with me and I told her I did. She registered my Real ID but I was denied entry to the base until I went home and secured my firearm and then I could return. I asked if I could have SF courtesy store my firearm and that was denied.

So this raises a couple of questions:

1. There are personnel living in base housing who own firearms. How do they transport their firearms off base to the range?
2. Without having to pass any security checkpoint from housing, what's stopping them from carrying?
3. Since my LTC is tied to my license/Real ID am I going to be questioned every time I enter the base?
4. Is this going to subject me/my vehicle to more searches?

I'm just curious if anyone else has these issues.

Cheers

Bob

So upon entering Hanscom AFB my retired civilian ID card was confiscated and I was instructed that all retired civilians are required to get Real-ID, which I did. The instructions stated to take my Real ID along with my last SF50 to the visitor's center to have it registered for base entry.

Upon scanning my Real ID the SF officer immediately states, "You have an LTC." I told her I did and she asked if I had a firearm with me and I told her I did. She registered my Real ID but I was denied entry to the base until I went home and secured my firearm and then I could return. I asked if I could have SF courtesy store my firearm and that was denied.

1. There are personnel living in base housing who own firearms. How do they transport their firearms off base to the range?
2. Without having to pass any security checkpoint from housing, what's stopping them from carrying?
3. Since my LTC is tied to my license/Real ID am I going to be questioned every time I enter the base?

Cheers

Bob
Your LTC isnt tied to your drivers license, they're both attached to you so they saw you had an LTC. It had nothing to do with Real ID in terms of the actaul ID

About 4 years ago, my car broke down in Franklin (I think) on the hottest day of the year. Just outisde of a busy intersection, so a cop showed up to just play blocker until the tow go there. I sat in the passenger seat. "Wanna see somethign cool - gimme your license." I gave it to him. He scans it - SCANS IT - up pops up all of my registered vehicles, the other members of my family in teh household. Everythihg was right there.

If you think your LTC info is NOT in the database for traffic stops, you're sadly mistaken. EVERY-THING is there. Like DAMN. Photo of all of our DL's as well. It had nothing to do with RealID.

About 4 years ago, my car broke down in Franklin (I think) on the hottest day of the year. Just outisde of a busy intersection, so a cop showed up to just play blocker until the tow go there. I sat in the passenger seat. "Wanna see somethign cool - gimme your license." I gave it to him. He scans it - SCANS IT - up pops up all of my registered vehicles, the other members of my family in teh household. Everythihg was right there.

If you think your LTC info is NOT in the database for traffic stops, you're sadly mistaken. EVERY-THING is there. Like DAMN. Photo of all of our DL's as well. It had nothing to do with RealID.
in fact, I was shown by a LEO friend, all you firearms listed in the portal show up as well

same way when a Leo pulls you over and runs your DL, he comes back with 'you have a LTC'.
Any agency with access to NLETS can query for LTC status. Not all states feed their LTC holders to the private database, however MA does.

NLETS is not a government agency, and doesn't directly influence the "Real ID" database, however "core membership" of NLETS includes ICE, CBP, USCIS, FBI, NCIC, and the state department.

Cheers

Bob
One of the great reasons not to live on base. Privately Owned Firearms

Also just learned they stopped issuing retired DoD civilian IDs. DCPAS

The sign you pass on the way in tells you that you and your vehicle are subject to search while on base. Same as every other military base.

Last edited:

Cheers

Bob
I retired from the Fire Department at Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee two years ago. I have never been questioned about my LTC. The only problem I’ve had is it take multiple scans of my Drivers license with scanner at the gate by the SF Troop for it to show I’m good to go.

My original LTC issued in 2017 had a photo of me taken at BPD headquarters. When I renewed my LTC in 2023 the new one had my drivers license photo instead of the photo from 2017. So absolutely MA is cross-referencing DLs and LTCs.

2. Without having to pass any security checkpoint from housing, what's stopping them from carrying? Same as anywhere else - there's little to physically prevent you from carrying on base but the penalty if you're discovered is federal prison, not a slap on the wrist.
3. Since my LTC is tied to my license/Real ID am I going to be questioned every time I enter the base? No. I've never been asked about my LTC.
4. Is this going to subject me/my vehicle to more searches? No. The searches are random. Don't quote me on this but I'm not sure they're allowed to search your person (pat down).
Bob, why would you bring your gun to the base?? Answers to your questions above in red.

Cheers

Bob
I was stationed at hansom for a few years....I got pulled into secondary when going thru the gate cuz the bomb sniffing dog alerted when I stopped at the gate. I had no guns on me or in my car. They searched everything......the sf nco asked me if I had guns in my car recently.....I told him yes I shot trap the night before. He laughed and said all set sir.

I was a field grade officer and couldnt carry a gun on hanscom.....if you can't bring guns onto hansom as an active duty servicemember what makes you think they are going to allow a dod civilian retiree on post with a concealed carry?

Every post commander has a fire arm policy. I've been stationed at bases that privately owned guns had to be stored in your units arms room.....that was the policy at hanscom a few years back.......if you were living on hanscom you had to store private guns in the unit arms room.....if you didnt live on base you couldnt bring one on base. I've been on bases where guns were no issue at all.....camp Robinson post commander allowed guns in your vehicle if you wanted......just recommended they be unloaded.

As far as your answer to question 2....

It's called orders.....service members are provided with the post commanders policy......and they are expected to obey it.

Last edited:
My original LTC issued in 2017 had a photo of me taken at BPD headquarters. When I renewed my LTC in 2023 the new one had my drivers license photo instead of the photo from 2017. So absolutely MA is cross-referencing DLs and LTCs.
They started using your dl photo during covid so u could process without having to go face to face with the issuing dept and have a photo taken.....they have continued to do that.

The systems they use when any gov agency "runs" your ID will cross check numerous databases, which ones will vary a little but with so many systems cross checking other systems they pretty much get everything. What is displayed is just a subset of what is available and is usually at the discretion of the individual agency. I haven't run into any that don't show firearms licensing (this is in MA and NH).

They started using your dl photo during covid so u could process without having to go face to face with the issuing dept and have a photo taken.....they have continued to do that.
Not saying that they aren't doing that , but I just renewed my LTC and the officer took my picture when I turned in the paperwork. I live in nowhere land though , so that could be part of it. 😂

Same here , I believe it's needed to fly ,but I don't fly so I don't give a shit.
Not needed to fly "yet"....as states continue to issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens the std DL has become functionally useless. But the Real ID req'mt for travel has been delayed over and over....years on end now

But unless they have waived the add'l fee for the Real ID, just get the Passport Card instead. It lasts a full 10y and is valid for domestic flights, land based border crossings and cruise ships. If you are flying international, you still need (for now) the booklet, but the card is a superior option to Real ID

Back
Top Bottom