• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Storage Laws - Disassembled gun?

I hate trigger locks with a passion. I have a drawer full of them I'll
probably never use, outside of certain rare circumstances.

Remember that even a chinsy lockable storage cabinet of some sort qualifies
as a secure container. So if you have a rifle you're working on, you could
use some sort of a chest or locker to throw the parts in, long as at has a
means of locking.

-Mike

Let's go one step further.

Since anything made before 1898 is an 'antique" and not classified as a firearm, do they have to be locked at all times when not 'under control'?

What has your research on this point revealed? For a starting point, I suggest a visit to the GOAL.org web site. You _are_ a GOAL member, aren't you?

Let's go one step further.

Since anything made before 1898 is an 'antique" and not classified as a firearm, do they have to be locked at all times when not 'under control'?

That is the Federal definition for a firearm, not the state's.

I have never looked into it, but you probably want to keep it locked up.

you guys are confusing me (not something that is hard to do). Mass law clearly lists exemptions:

"This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearms, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional fixed ammunition."

i.e. my black pwder revolver does not need a lock...my 1888 commision rifle does not need a lock.

you guys are confusing me (not something that is hard to do). Mass law clearly lists exemptions:

"This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearms, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional fixed ammunition."

i.e. my black pwder revolver does not need a lock...my 1888 commision rifle does not need a lock.

You're correct mass - black powders don't. However, there are rifles and pistols manufactured before 1898 that do fire cartridges. THOSE need to be locked up. The Henry rifle was made in IIRC the 1860's - those take cartridges. The Union army was able to make slush out of the confederates once they had the repeating rifles.

Yep, but Lynne is still right because a blackpowder charge is not a cartridge.

The Commission rifle takes a cartridge so it does need to be locked according to the quote.

Weird that you should mention the commission rifle, because it's what caused me to post the question in the first place.

Interesting that I can keep my 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver loaded and laying around anywwhere I want and it's legal but I can't do that with anything else.

I've heard that cap and ball wounds are more devastating that modern weapon wounds.

Last edited:
I wanted to use my commission rifle as a wall hanger. Can I still do this? I am surprised that I would have to lock it up...I did not think it was a restricted item under mass law. I purchased it with no bolt for $19 on the web.

For the children!

119494039-M.jpg

But still didn't see an answer to the question of whether or not the removal of the firing pins of an antique shotgun would suffice in lieu of a lock.

THanks

No, simply removing the firing pins is not enough. These are easily replaceable parts, so, per the relevant case law, you will still have to secure them with a tamper-resistent mechanical locking device, or put them in a safe or lockbox.

Sorry.

I had a feeling that would be the answer

No, simply removing the firing pins is not enough. These are easily replaceable parts, so, per the relevant case law, you will still have to secure them with a tamper-resistent mechanical locking device, or put them in a safe or lockbox.

Sorry.

Does anyone know another way of legally disabling a shotty without destroying it or having some stupid trigger lock??
Thanks

Does the use of the word "locked" in this thread mandate that said firearm is secured to the house (i.e. bolted to the floor)? I am pretty sure the answer is no but can you simply utilize storing firearms is a locked room?

The locked room, per a recent MA court case, requires that the locked room be secured in such a fashion as to deter all but the most persistent of burglars.

This is a standard of security well beyond that offered by a trigger lock or cable lock.

Bad law, I think, but it is the law nonetheless.

I've wanted to keep my old Mil Surps in an armory rack as to me they're more decoration than for shooting but I was thinking it would at least look more appropriate if I ran a locked cable through the trigger guards to secure them to it,as some gun shops do, but was wondering if that actually fit the definition of being locked with a tamper resistant device?

Whatever you do make sure the lock is VISIBLE. I had an unannounced inspection in my apartment by the board of health and building manager while I wasn't their. I had a rifle I was leaving out to dry secured with the omega chamber lock which fits inside the chamber. The inspector informed the police I had guns and ammo lying around (he also rooted through boxes and drawers in my apartment) and the police were too incompetent to see that I had a license so they came to visit and entered the apartment after my wife opened the door, all sans warrant. The management company also threatened me with legal action if I did not provide them with a copy of my license and sent a letter to the COP telling him that I left unsecured firearms lying around.

Do not <fbomb> with this people, they are unstoppable and the damage they can do is extensive. Guilty or not is for the most part irrelevant and nothing can replace the sense of lost security. Even when you win you lose.

Last edited:
But still didn't see an answer to the question of whether or not the removal of the firing pins of an antique shotgun would suffice in lieu of a lock.
Nope, that does not suffice. Unless the gun is permanently rendered inoperable (e.g., weld the chamber), it has to be locked up.

I thought about welding the chamber

But as I read the applicable law there is no provision for making the gun inoperable except for some kind of a lock. Is that right? I could easily weld it as it will never be a shooter

Reading through this old thread generated another question:

If all guns have to be under "control" or else locked up, what about on the range? If I walk 100 yards down to the target, do I have to (by law) secure my rifle sitting on the bench?

If this has been answered previously, please apply tongue-lashing and point me to the right thread....

KK

Once the gun is made permanently inoperable, I suspect that it no longer qualifies as a gun.
There is a Federal definition for that, but it doesn't mean the state definition has to match. If a judge or cop wants to run you up there may be no statute or case law to discourage/stop them. It could go all the way up to the state supreme court and they can make any unreasonable standard they want.

Anyone know of such a standard?

I understand this is MA

and nothing here is intended to make any sense, but it seems to me that if a shotgun's barrels are welded shut it then becomes a club as opposed to a firearm.
Let me know if you find that case law
thanks

Do the plastic boxes that pistols come in qualify as a secure container if you place a padlock or cable lock on them?

Would the fact that they are plastic and thus openable with a (possibly) knife or hacksaw make you liable in the eyes of the MA law?

Back
Top Bottom