• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MAADI ARM in 5.45 feeding issue

jim/boston

NES Member
I have an Egyptian Maadi SBR that was converted to 5.45 but not finished due to function issues. In a previous post I noted the trigger and hammer appeared to be incorrect and would not allow the bolt to cycle correctly; fortunately that was the issue and a new FCG fixed it and the weapon cycles smoothly. Now the issue is feeding; the round is properly stripped from the mag but essentially travels straight forward and never angles toward the chamber resulting in the round tip hitting below the chamber and jamming. This happens from either feed position. The mag locks up tight with little wobble and is sitting up tight against the ejector. My online searching shows that some AK's needed a bullet guide to be added to the trunnion....it sure appears that something needs to added to guide the round into the chamber. Anyone else run into a similar issue? IMG_3036.JPG IMG_3035.JPG

Sounds like most places that have been having this issue it’s ammo or mag. Steel case fmj.

This is exactly what happens when you try to use Galil mags in a Valmet .223 gun, mags lock in but you get FTF with the bullet getting pushed in 1/2 the time. My solution was to find factory valmet mags but that was years ago. Turns out it’s the way the follower presents the next round - valmet mags present at an upward angle while Galil mags present straight. So I think it is the mag and you might want to experiment.

"Sounds like most places that have been having this issue it’s ammo or mag. Steel case fmj. "
"So I think it is the mag and you might want to experiment. " Ding Ding Ding, Winner!
I was using a Century converted 5.45 to 5.56 mag...when I switched to a Russian Izhmash plum AK74 mag the gun fed and ran flawlessly. The converted mag came with the gun; don't know why..but I know why it didn't work. Thankfully another board member here (Nafets) had a correct mag and wanted my conversion mag...so a successful swap ensued. These are fun little guns! AKS-74u 5.45x39 top Krink in 7,62x39 bottom That 7,62 throws a fireball
61058359922__F94FB7B0-634A-462C-83F1-00044D1E145C - Copy.JPG

Back
Top Bottom