Machine gun license

Broc

NES Member
i know that a lot of people already know this, but there are a lot of people that dont know this. SO:

If you have a class A license and a C&R, you can go to your local PD, and apply for a machine gun license, as a collector. That way you wont be restricted to having only C&R machine guns.

The owner of a gun store told me that his girlfriend is applying for one in a town (i wont say the name here), and she will be the first one in that town to have a machine gun license.

i know that a lot of people already know this, but there are a lot of people that dont know this. SO:

If you have a class A license and a C&R, you can go to your local PD, and apply for a machine gun license, as a collector. That way you wont be restricted to having only C&R machine guns.

The owner of a gun store told me that his girlfriend is applying for one in a town (i wont say the name here), and she will be the first one in that town to have a machine gun license.

Ummmm.... you say:

"That way you wont be restricted to having only C&R machine guns."

A machine gun license in MA is required for ownership/possession of any and all transferable machine guns. C&R has nothing to do with it.

Best,

Rich

+1, you beat me to it - thanks. Rep inbound.

Ummmm.... you say:

A machine gun license in MA is required for ownership/possession of any and all transferable machine guns. C&R has nothing to do with it.

Best,

Rich
What he and Rob said - the C&R merely establishes that you are a "bona-fide collector" (in theory, if not practice) which is the one of the two possible people who MGL states MAY be issued a machine gun license (collector or instructor).

Your mileage will vary wildly from town to town on actual requirements of MG license issuance, from easy to a flat out "no"... (and everything in between).

Yup, it doesn't matter if you want to buy a Maxim or Lewis gun from the turn of the last century, you need the MG license or no sale. Also, as cekim stated, it doesn't matter if you meet the MGL requirements, it's still a discretionary license - some towns won't give one out no matter what.

Were you drinkin when you posted this??? As already noted mulitple times, your first part is just confusing/wrong...and the second part??? Huuuhhh??? I know plenty of people who were/are the first and only person in there town with an MG license, whats your point???

What he and Rob said - the C&R merely establishes that you are a "bona-fide collector" (in theory, if not practice) which is the one of the two possible people who MGL states MAY be issued a machine gun license (collector or instructor).

+1.

Also, for the reality dose:

To the best of my knowledge to MA court has NEVER forced a police chief to issue a MG license to an applicant when the police chief chooses not to issue one. There are only two reasons a MV license may be issues - bona fide collector and trainer of LE personel. A C&R makes you a bona-fide collector. Prior to the CMR on bona-fide collectors, smoe chiefs would hang their hat on an applicant not being a bona-fide collector. That is now a moot point, however, "It is the policy of this department not to issue MG licenses" is a sufficient basis for denial, and one you can expect any MA court will uphold.

In short, you get your MG license if you chief wants you to have it.

Last edited:
Were you drinkin when you posted this??? As already noted mulitple times, your first part is just confusing/wrong...and the second part??? Huuuhhh??? I know plenty of people who were/are the first and only person in there town with an MG license, whats your point???

that was just an example. I just dont write town names or people names online. You never know whos reading.

Ummmm.... you say:

Best,

Rich

theres also a list of machine guns you can own with just a C&R license. Or at least thats what my 2007 ATF firearms Curious or Relics list says. On section IV: National Firearms Act weapons Classified as Curious or Relics...

C&R has everything to do with it, because you need to have a C&R license before you apply. CHSB website.

also, i wasnt saying it was easy, or that every town would give you one. I was jsut saying that you could go and apply for one. And like i stated above, i know that a lot of people in these forums already know, but i know that even more people had no idea that a machinegun could be owned.

that was just an example. I just dont write town names or people names online. You never know whos reading.

theres also a list of machine guns you can own with just a C&R license. Or at least thats what my 2007 ATF firearms Curious or Relics list says. On section IV: National Firearms Act weapons Classified as Curious or Relics...

C&R has everything to do with it, because you need to have a C&R license before you apply. CHSB website.

also, i wasnt saying it was easy, or that every town would give you one. I was jsut saying that you could go and apply for one. And like i stated above, i know that a lot of people in these forums already know, but i know that even more people had no idea that a machinegun could be owned.

Agreed... there are lots of folks that believe that machine guns cannot be owned by regular citizens. I've had people tell me it is illegal for me to carry a pistol. There certainly is a lot of ignorance out there.

When you say:

"theres also a list of machine guns you can own with just a C&R license. Or at least thats what my 2007 ATF firearms Curious or Relics list says. On section IV: National Firearms Act weapons Classified as Curious or Relics... "

Since we agree that we don't want bad info out there... this statement is absolutely incorrect. Here in MA a machine gun license is required. Again, it has nothing to do with the C&R license. Please do not misinterpret this info and get yourself in legal trouble.

And when you say:

"C&R has everything to do with it, because you need to have a C&R license before you apply. CHSB website. "

This is not a legal requirement. I know folks who have a machine gun license and do not have a C&R. I repeat... it is not a legal requirement.

As Cekim pointed out earlier, there are two reasons stated in law for the issuance of a machine gun license. A bona fide collector, or a machine gun instructor. A C&R license provides an indication of interest in collecting. Some towns will require it to cover their butts. But no where in written law is is required.

Sorry big guy... gotta set the record straight here. And for the sake of providing correct info, I would encourage corrections/additions to anything I've said here. I just want the RIGHT info to be on this forum.

Best,

Rich

All that means is if you have a C&R license you can purchase those NFA items "direct" from out of state sellers without using a SOT. But you still have to do and have approved all the NFA paperwork (ie FORM 4) prior to recieving the gun. AND ATF/NFA Branch will not aprove an MG transfer to MA, unless you have a "green card", end of story.

I've gotta a couple safes of MG's (some C&R some not) so I am willing to put my decade + of first hand NFA experience over second hand info heard from some guy at a gunshop....

If you chief doesn't want them in the town it doesn't matter if you put you are a collector or not. My chief said "no way." He gave me an ALP, but no green card for me. There's nothing you can do about it.

"C&R has everything to do with it, because you need to have a C&R license before you apply. CHSB website. "

This is not a legal requirement. I know folks who have a machine gun license and do not have a C&R. I repeat... it is not a legal requirement.
This is correct.

The CMRs establish that a C&R holder is a "bona fide collector", but do not specify that this is the only way one gets such status.

You are very, very wrong in your interpretation of that document...

This is not a gray area...

A C&R Machine Gun (like any NFA item) still requires a $200 stamp/tax which means you have to have an MG license in MA to possess it - even under licensed supervision according to the CHSB. You cannot even hold/touch/fire a C&R Machine Gun item without an MG license per the CHSB's current interpretation of the law. If you don't believe me, call them up and ask...

On the bright side, you won't likely be able to implement your bad information because someone who owns an NFA item would likely laugh at you and refuse to sell to you if you suggested you did not need the license, CLEO sign-off or stamp to transfer the gun...

While the ATF does not spend a great deal of time documenting the absurdity that is MA law in their publications, they do enforce them (as a function of staisfying the NFA requirement that they be "legal to possess" where you are) and will not permit a form 4 transfer without proof of MG card (there's a scan of their "ruling" (letter) on this on their site somewhere).

Yes, in fact, it would be good if every LTC holder applied for one, but they need to understand the law better than your posts in this thread or they are going to get themselves in trouble...

Last edited:
Broccoli, many people have given you good information and I know from experience that they are correct. Here's why. The ATF does not require you to have a machinegun license because they have strict requirements you must meet for each purchase but they require you to meet all state laws in addition to theirs. If you live in a state that requires a machinegun license they will not approve the transfer if you don't send them a copy of your machinegun license. If they don't approve the transfer, you don't get the machinegun. This is federal law not state law so they don't care if your chief signed the form 4 or not. If they say no,you don't get it.period.

Back
Top Bottom