• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

It's not fantasy .
Stuff like that has happened .
In a gun friendly state the dealer might be alright.
How do you see it going here ?
Be honest.
so you think that if a PP goes into a gun shop and handles a gun the gun shop owner is liable for something? In this state or any other? The PP may be breaking laws but I don't see how the gun shop owner is doing anything wrong. Show me the law if I'm wrong. Gun shop is not required to vet customers other than when actually selling something. Do you see a law that says otherwise? Do you know of a case where this has been an issue ever? Also, I did a simple google search and couldn't find any story about a guy running away with a gun while posing as a customer at a gun shop.
So my honest answer is that I think nothing is going to happen to the gun store owner if a PP comes in to buy a gun and doesnt' buy one. Furthermore, I would double down on that given the OP's scenario where his friend handles a gun that the OP is buying.
If the ATF or Maura is trying to run a sting they're going to have to come up with something a little more potent than that.

Who but all the most Karen of Karen's is it going to drive off ?
I've been asked to show mine and it was "Sure here you go."
Business was transacted and I wasn't home that night in the fetal position feeling violated.
It depends on the case scenario but if I went to a shop like that and they're giving my friend shit about handling a gun i just bought, " cuz he's unwashed" you can bet your ass I'm not going back. I'm not going to bail on the sale but that's the last gun I'm buying from them. My level of tolerance for stupidity is pretty high, about maybe like even high at like a five or six but that's up in the eight or nine range in terms of box store like levels of jackassery.

so you think that if a PP goes into a gun shop and handles a gun the gun shop owner is liable for something? In this state or any other? The PP may be breaking laws but I don't see how the gun shop owner is doing anything wrong. Show me the law if I'm wrong. Gun shop is not required to vet customers other than when actually selling something. Do you see a law that says otherwise? Do you know of a case where this has been an issue ever? Also, I did a simple google search and couldn't find any story about a guy running away with a gun while posing as a customer at a gun shop.
So my honest answer is that I think nothing is going to happen to the gun store owner if a PP comes in to buy a gun and doesnt' buy one. Furthermore, I would double down on that given the OP's scenario where his friend handles a gun that the OP is buying.
If the ATF or Maura is trying to run a sting they're going to have to come up with something a little more potent than that.
You need to remember where we live and who's in charge.
Remember the guy who got his LTC revoked after his house was broken into and his safe blow torched?
Where was that , Methuen ?
Tell me what he did wrong.

It depends on the case scenario but if I went to a shop like that and they're giving my friend shit about handling a gun i just bought, " cuz he's unwashed" you can bet your ass I'm not going back. I'm not going to bail on the sale but that's the last gun I'm buying from them. My level of tolerance for stupidity is pretty high, about maybe like even high at like a five or six but that's up in the eight or nine range in terms of box store like levels of jackassery.
You probably shouldn't go back then.
Me, I'll wait till there is something to actually be outraged over before I dump them.

You need to remember where we live and who's in charge.
Remember the guy who got his LTC revoked after his house was broken into and his safe blow torched?
Where was that , Methuen ?
Tell me what he did wrong.

Histrionics to justify shit policies don't make them stop being shit. 🤣

This is one case with the law actually directly reinforces the conduct we're talking about which is rare. There's no vagueness here.

ETA: I never heard of a guy who had a safe torched open who lost his LTC I did hear about a guy in Lowell who had a secured room that was broken into who lost his license but it was not a safe.

Last edited:
You probably shouldn't go back then.
Me, I'll wait till there is something to actually be outraged over before I dump them.
I actually don't have this problem I just put that out there as a hypothetical.... I won't willingly expose myself to retards like that kind of dealer there's no point to it whatsoever. I have a bunch of FFL dudes on speed dial that don't engage in this kind of garbage. There's no reason that anybody should have to tolerate it if they don't want to it's completely absurd. Maybe some of these people should learn customer service and stop being histrionic alarmist faggots to people who want to give them money.

Last edited:
Ohh I got one!

Just ordered an OWB and mag carrier for a class I am going to be taking. Sign up for the newsletter and wait expecting they will send me a welcome email with a promo code, wait 5 minutes... nothing so I just place the order. As I get my order confirmation email about 30 seconds prior an email comes through with a 15% off coupon. [banghead] I shoot them an email explaining asking if they can still apply the coupon. The canned response sends me to an FAQ page that says if your question is answered here we won't respond to your email in enlarged bold letters. Sure enough it says they won't apply after the fact and they charge 15% cancellation fee. We will see if they respond but if they won't go back and give the code discount that's kinda annoying. IMO many businesses in the "2A space "have terrible customer service.

Is there a law on the books that says you have to show a car dealer your drivers licence before you take a car for a test drive or is it their policy ?
Next time you do, tell them to pound sand you don't have to and I'm taking this car for a drive

Again , it's sad that people with nothing to lose love to shit on people with everything to lose.
These people should hang it all out and open a gun store ad show us how it should be done.
Nice try. but..apples and oranges, nobody is (or should be) asking to test fire a gun in a gun shop or leave the property with it so they could...at least I would hope not!
Also... if a car sales person demanded my drivers license, just so I could sit in a parked vehicle (to inspect the interior and see how it feels) then yes, I would tell them to F-O!

Last edited:
Don't spread this around
Next thing Motorcycle dealers will asking for a License for a test ride
Then I'll get carded at the at the baseball game
Then the Packie

Don't spread this around
Next thing Motorcycle dealers will asking for a License for a test ride
Then I'll get carded at the at the baseball game
Then the Packie

And absolutely none of those things are anyway equivalent to the OPs scenario.

The absurdity is on the level of "sorry we can't allow your wife to ride in the car during the test drive because she has no drivers license" 🤣

And absolutely none of those things are anyway equivalent to the OPs scenario.

The absurdity is on the level of "sorry we can't allow your wife to ride in the car during the test drive because she has no drivers license" 🤣

[rofl]

I WAS BEING FACETIOUS!

I do feel bad. Lol.
Why? I still don’t see the issue of informing people of a store policy: the store doesn’t waste their time with an annoyed consumer and the consumer can choose to go elsewhere if this is a dealbreaker for them. How is this even an “outting?”

I regretted mentioning this particular shop at first but the arguments have been so completely retarded I’m thinking of making a list of the shops that do/don’t do this 😂

It’ll make for an interesting NES thread if nothing else!

Nice try. but..apples and oranges, nobody is (or should be) asking to test fire a gun in a gun shop or leave the property with it so they could...at least I would hope not!
Also... if a car sales person demanded my drivers license, just so I could sit in a parked vehicle (to inspect the interior and see how it feels) then yes, I would tell them to F-O!

Funny story. I was getting my 392 serviced at a local dealership and I had a work/zoom meeting coming up. Dealership showroom and waiting area is pretty noisy and there isn’t a space open (and quiet) to “work”. I asked a sales person if there was a quiet space and he just said no and walked off.

Anyway, they have a new Hellcat in the showroom, so I open the passenger door, get in, shut the door and do my zoom meeting on my phone. About half way through, a sales person comes over and asks me not to sit in the Hellcat. I asked why and he explained the sales manager doesn’t let people sit in it unless they are going to buy it.

I got out as my meeting was finished and have never been back to that dealership. Their rules, their business, but screw them. I didn’t bother to explain anything, considering I’ve bought $200k worth of vehicles in the last 18 months, they lost a potentially lucrative customer for future business.

Night and day at the Porsche dealership. Cayenne is in for service. I’m asked by staff if I need anything. I ask if there is space for me to work, as I have a meeting. They show me to their employee conference room, provide me with the customer wifi and bring me a bottle of water.

In reddit parlance, AITAH?

Funny story. I was getting my 392 serviced at a local dealership and I had a work/zoom meeting coming up. Dealership showroom and waiting area is pretty noisy and there isn’t a space open (and quiet) to “work”. I asked a sales person if there was a quiet space and he just said no and walked off.

Anyway, they have a new Hellcat in the showroom, so I open the passenger door, get in, shut the door and do my zoom meeting on my phone. About half way through, a sales person comes over and asks me not to sit in the Hellcat. I asked why and he explained the sales manager doesn’t let people sit in it unless they are going to buy it.

I got out as my meeting was finished and have never been back to that dealership. Their rules, their business, but screw them. I didn’t bother to explain anything, considering I’ve bought $200k worth of vehicles in the last 18 months, they lost a potentially lucrative customer for future business.

Night and day at the Porsche dealership. Cayenne is in for service. I’m asked by staff if I need anything. I ask if there is space for me to work, as I have a meeting. They show me to their employee conference room, provide me with the customer wifi and bring me a bottle of water.

This is literally the script for a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode!

never been to a herb chambers i'm guessing. herb would give you his office if he thought it would sell a car.

Why? I still don’t see the issue of informing people of a store policy: the store doesn’t waste their time with an annoyed consumer and the consumer can choose to go elsewhere if this is a dealbreaker for them. How is this even an “outting?”

I regretted mentioning this particular shop at first but the arguments have been so completely retarded I’m thinking of making a list of the shops that do/don’t do this 😂

It’ll make for an interesting NES thread if nothing else!
I understand the purity of your intentions but for the love of God please don't do this. The Whining and crying about the slaughtering of the sacred cows will be off of the charts. 🤣 Now in this case I think you are legitimately surprised at all of this but like at the same token I know your postings around here and I know you're smart enough to know that there's just like a green column and then there's like a yellow column,
then a brown column (or maybe well call it foliage, after magpuls worst color ever, aka baby vomit) and maybe a third column that's like a full on black/red cross column. Maybe like the strike on family feud. Most of the people that have been around kind of know what the score is. And it's not that hard empirically to figure out what's going on on the scene. If a shitty recovering introvert like me can figure it out, anyone can. I mean I'm not some kind of an expert but I can usually go into a shop a couple of times and figure out where their mindset is. Especially if the owner is in active participation of the operations. Language used is important and I'm not talking about profanity Lol.... Although sometimes that can be pretty fun but I guess my point is..... I'd much rather shop but at a dealer that's open and says things like " That's debatably legal but I've just chosen to not engage in that kind of business" vs. "Zomg thats illegal because i made it up while taking a massive dump one night and getting sauced after getting my license. " etc.

I understand the purity of your intentions but for the love of God please don't do this. The Whining and crying about the slaughtering of the sacred cows will be off of the charts. 🤣 Now in this case I think you are legitimately surprised at all of this but like at the same token I know your postings around here and I know you're smart enough to know that there's just like a green column and then there's like a yellow column,
then a brown column (or maybe well call it foliage, after magpuls worst color ever, aka baby vomit) and maybe a third column that's like a full on black/red cross column. Maybe like the strike on family feud. Most of the people that have been around kind of know what the score is. And it's not that hard empirically to figure out what's going on on the scene. If a shitty recovering introvert like me can figure it out, anyone can. I mean I'm not some kind of an expert but I can usually go into a shop a couple of times and figure out where their mindset is. Especially if the owner is in active participation of the operations. Language used is important and I'm not talking about profanity Lol.... Although sometimes that can be pretty fun but I guess my point is..... I'd much rather shop but at a dealer that's open and says things like " That's debatably legal but I've just chosen to not engage in that kind of business" vs. "Zomg thats illegal because i made it up while taking a massive dump one night and getting sauced after getting my license. " etc.
@Grendizer138 don't listen to this guy.

IMG_0779.jpeg

No, you're not the a**h***. Whenever I'm getting a lexus serviced I could practically take a nap in the waiting area if there was a couch. 🤣 unless it just snowed and there are a hundred Asians in there getting their free car washes.... but even then those folks are pretty quiet.

@Grendizer138 I'm also going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's not necessarily the request but /the way that it was delivered/ had they not acted like you were trying to murder a basket of cute puppies with a pocket knife inside the confines of the gun store..... I think you probably would have reacted differently. A lot of times it is not about the message but the way that it is delivered that makes all of the difference. "Sir can you please hand him the gun back, I'm so sorry but it's store policy that we can't have folks without ltc handling firearms in the store etc etc so on. " The messaging makes a lot of the difference in how it is delivered even if it still is a stupid policy. The way you portrayed it was like the shop putting you on blast for breaking a rule that you didn't know existed. And in that regard it didn't seem very fair. If the guy was quiet about it you probably would not have reacted or felt the same kind of reaction to it at least not immediately. Then you would have gotten your gun checked out maybe ask yourself a few questions mentally but not being able to understand it but at the same token you would have thought well the guy was polite enough about it and then just dismiss the whole thing within about 30 seconds.

It's like when I used to try to keep cars out of the cripple area at a dance recital at a school.

"Sir can you please do me a kindness- can you move your car out of here, maybe even over there on that grassy area, im trying to save these few slots for people with placards because people start giving me grief if all the slots are filled here. I'm sure you understand." vs *armflapping hysterics* "ZOMG YOURE NOT CRIPPLED! WHERES YO PLACARD??? WHAT THE f*** DUDE DONT PARK HEER!!!!!" [rofl]

a LTC is gonna be a CYA for the shop to know they aren't handing a pistol to a felon.

So where is the CYA for a pay range like AFS, MFS, CGW, or some other place that runs gun courses that basically has, at most, people fill out a waiver.... and those people are actually
firing guns, not merely touching them.

Also these same shops that have this "CYA policy" have loose long guns all over the place (lol without trigger locks mind you, too) that the same purported felon can just walk around and touch unquestionably without getting carded. (not sure if this is the case at the place in question, but I bet its true in most places that are that aggressive unless they lock all their guns up. )

So where is the CYA for a pay range like AFS, MFS, CGW, or some other place that runs gun courses that basically has, at most, people fill out a waiver.... and those people are actually
firing guns, not merely touching them.

Also these same shops that have this "CYA policy" have loose long guns all over the place (lol without trigger locks mind you, too) that the same purported felon can just walk around and touch unquestionably without getting carded. (not sure if this is the case at the place in question, but I bet its true in most places that are that aggressive unless they lock all their guns up. )
I haven't been into those places but at the S&W range they would have you provide a license and sign off that you weren't a felon which I think the lawyers likely blessed as being good enough to absolve them of guilt if a felon rolled in.

@Grendizer138 I'm also going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's not necessarily the request but /the way that it was delivered/ had they not acted like you were trying to murder a basket of cute puppies with a pocket knife inside the confines of the gun store..... I think you probably would have reacted differently. A lot of times it is not about the message but the way that it is delivered that makes all of the difference. "Sir can you please hand him the gun back, I'm so sorry but it's store policy that we can't have folks without ltc handling firearms in the store etc etc so on. " The messaging makes a lot of the difference in how it is delivered even if it still is a stupid policy. The way you portrayed it was like the shop putting you on blast for breaking a rule that you didn't know existed. And in that regard it didn't seem very fair. If the guy was quiet about it you probably would not have reacted or felt the same kind of reaction to it at least not immediately. Then you would have gotten your gun checked out maybe ask yourself a few questions mentally but not being able to understand it but at the same token you would have thought well the guy was polite enough about it and then just dismiss the whole thing within about 30 seconds.

It's like when I used to try to keep cars out of the cripple area at a dance recital at a school.

"Sir can you please do me a kindness- can you move your car out of here, maybe even over there on that grassy area, im trying to save these few slots for people with placards because people start giving me grief if all the slots are filled here. I'm sure you understand." vs *armflapping hysterics* "ZOMG YOURE NOT CRIPPLED! WHERES YO PLACARD??? WHAT THE f*** DUDE DONT PARK HEER!!!!!" [rofl]
They weren’t rude about it, it was more like they were trying to tell me not to look into the Ark of the Covenant in order to save me from melting.

Like I’ve said, I should have made it a more general inquiry as to why shops do this, but here we are on page 8.

I send a ton of business there and will continue to. It’s a good shop with a dumb policy.

Now, the place down the road from them, on the other hand, once asked for an LTC to buy cleaning patches…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom