• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

Grendizer138

NES Member
I made a handgun purchase at my LGS the other day, and while they were processing the transfer I went to let my friend handle the gun. Both employees behind the counter put out their hands as a stop command and said “we need to see his license first!” I’d swear there was a record scratch and the place went silent and everyone was starring at us.

I’ll show my license to handle a gun if asked, but this was annoying. It’s not a law, it’s a policy we’ve all learned to live with. What if I’m an out of state resident and would ship it to my FFL if I bought it? Still not allowed to handle it?

I wish shops would cut the shit with this. But their shop their rules I guess.

I made a handgun purchase at my LGS the other day, and while they were processing the transfer I went to let my friend handle the gun. Both employees behind the counter put out their hands as a stop command and said “we need to see his license first!” I’d swear there was a record scratch and the place went silent and everyone was starring at us.

I’ll show my license to handle a gun if asked, but this was annoying. It’s not a law, it’s a policy we’ve all learned to live with. What if I’m an out of state resident and would ship it to my FFL if I bought it? Still not allowed to handle it?

I wish shops would cut the shit with this. But their shop their rules I guess.
Sounds like the type of shop I don't go to.

I wish shops would cut the shit with this.
But their shop their rules I guess.

Why would you out them for something this stupid?

It is their damn business. Did they sell you a gun or not?
If it’s not a big deal, then no one will care. I’ve been hyping Shooting Supply for years, they can handle me saying the license policy is stupid.

Doesn't it make sense, though?
I mean, the license means that you have acquired / been given enough information about guns to handle them safely.
I honestly am not sure if serious.

I’ve always figured most shops do it to make sure they’re not wasting time with someone that can’t buy anything.

I honestly am not sure if serious.

I’ve always figured most shops do it to make sure they’re not wasting time with someone that can’t buy anything.
Could be. But to them, a non-LTC is a potential customer - no?

I was somewhat serious. I mean, isn't that the idea behind giving people licenses (after they have sat through a class etc.)?

By the way, $549 for P365s with optic cuts, $249 for 500 rd case of Frontier M193…this place is way cheaper than NE gun shows, despite what the gunshow apologizers here say.

And unlike gun shows, the people that work at SS actually know WTF they’re talking about.

So yeah, I’ll continue to hype this shop, but reserve the right to bitch about a policy that they and 90% of MA gun shops adhere to.

In MA I can't blame them for having a CYA policy

In NH this never happens

But then there is the store in Hookset that wants to see ID to buy a hi capacity magazine because heaven forbid a MA resident who owns a home in NH and can legally own them might try to buy one.

In MA I can't blame them for having a CYA policy

In NH this never happens

But then there is the store in Hookset that wants to see ID to buy a hi capacity magazine because heaven forbid a MA resident who owns a home in NH and can legally own them might try to buy one.
I found this out the hard way and stopped going to Shooter’s Outpost for that very reason. And yes, it was for a NH property. f*** that place.

Back
Top Bottom