Machine Guns as a legit investment?

Back in the mid 80s my uncle bought a G3, AR70 and two sear guns, an HK93 and MP5. Total investment was around $8k IIRC. What are they worth today? $150k?

FNCs also get a lot of their value from the fact that there's probably more FNC auto sears on the market than FNCs. So, there are opportunities to speculate.

If I remember right (from that video) the FNC thing is a bit of a boondoggle. The sears can only go in a small number of the FNCs produced. You can’t install a registered sear in just any FNC.

Are there any "reasonably" priced C&R machineguns? I was told that your chief does not have to approve a Class III license for a C&R machinegun.
An antique with a 22 conversion might be interesting 🤔

Tippmann Arms Company Models 1919 A-4, 1917, and .50 HB ½ scale, cal. .22, semi-automatic firearms, manufactured in Fort Wayne, Indiana, from 1986-1987.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Machinegun, Model 1917WC, cal. .22 LR rimfire.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Model .50 HB Machinegun, cal. .22 Winchester Magnum.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Model 1919 Machinegun, cal. .22 LR rimfire. Tippmann Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning, Model 1917, water-cooled, cal. .22, machineguns. Tippmann Arms Company, cal. .22, machinegun set, consisting of a Model 1919-A4, S/N 333, Model 1917, S/N 333-A, and a Model .50 HB, S/N 333-B.

Last edited:
Are there any "reasonably" priced C&R machineguns? I was told that your chief does not have to approve a Class III license for a C&R machinegun.
I am not aware of ANY situation in which an applicant prevailed in a MA court action to overturn a chief's denial of a MG license. It's not a "Class III" license, but a MA machine gun license. SBRs and AOWs are covered under LTCs, except AOWs that are disguised to not look like guns that fall under a prohibition in MGL. This is true even when the denial has NOTHING to do with the applicant and is based on "the department does not issue such licenses because MGs are too dangerous".

Tippmann Arms Company Models 1919 A-4, 1917, and .50 HB ½ scale, cal. .22, semi-automatic firearms, manufactured in Fort Wayne, Indiana, from 1986-1987.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Machinegun, Model 1917WC, cal. .22 LR rimfire.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Model .50 HB Machinegun, cal. .22 Winchester Magnum.
Tippman Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning Model 1919 Machinegun, cal. .22 LR rimfire. Tippmann Arms Company, 1/2 scale, Browning, Model 1917, water-cooled, cal. .22, machineguns. Tippmann Arms Company, cal. .22, machinegun set, consisting of a Model 1919-A4, S/N 333, Model 1917, S/N 333-A, and a Model .50 HB, S/N 333-B.

C&R has no significance regarding what MGs you can buy in Mass. You need a Mass "green card" (LTC Class E) in order to own MG in Mass. The ATF will check your green card when you file the paperwork with them, and having a C&R doesn't affect that. You can put your C&R FFL03 on the form 4 however but it is irrelevant. You/dealer also have to file the FA-10 when you pick up the MG.

The Tippmann scaled replicas sell for about 22k-24k. Still the cheapest MG you can buy are Riisings and Stemples.

10-12 years ago FFL mentioned that Wrentham PD had a number of pre-86 registered Smith and Wesson Model 76 SMGs collecting dust in their armory. He was trying to work out a deal to replace them with MP5s (or similar) at his cost in exchange for taking possession of the SWs. He offered me one at the replacement cost, but as far as I know he was never able to work anything out.

C&R is a way of proving you are a "bona fide collector" as required by the MG statute (other allowed reason in LE trainer)
Yet the chief can approve you without any of those conditions. When I lived in MA I was approved by Hopkinton, I told him I already own machine guns I just want to bring them to MA.

Things may have changed since than, I don’t really follow MA law anymore.

You can't be sure that such an investment will bring you a profit with 100 percent probability, but this is a really interesting idea. Keeping track of gun prices (especially right now) requires more awareness than if you were just tracking the moving average indicator of Netflix stock prices. But apart from that, it wouldn't hurt to insure yourself with some more static investment. I'm now thinking about the possibility of investment in real estate. It's unlikely that the government will forbid us to have a roof over our heads anytime soon.

I saw your post about investing in guns and thought I'd chime in. While I personally don't invest in guns, I know there are people out there who do. It's important to have a well-rounded investment portfolio, and if guns are something you're passionate about, then it might make sense to include them in your investments. However, I would recommend seeking the advice of a wealth advisor before making any investment decisions. They can help you assess the risks and potential returns of investing in guns, as well as offer advice on diversifying your portfolio to ensure long-term financial stability.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom