• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magwell questions

Looking for feedback on magwells for action pistol competition, (ESP and limited). Was looking at the Springer precision and the Dawson ICE. Both of these are removable and work without frame mods (at least on my XDM), anyone know any others? Anyone use either of these on their gun? pros, cons? Other things to look for or avoid in a magwell? Thanks.

I use the Dawson ICE (no gap version) magwell on my DW 1911. Works great.

What would be a "gap version?". Also, I noticed the ICE has that replaceable insert, does that insert make a difference?

The "gap" "no gap" magwells are only for 1911's. No gap requires the Dawson basepads while the gap magwell doesn't.

The insert is a slick polymer so the mags don't get hung up during a fast reload. They can be a pain to install/remove as there's a certain way to remove them. I broke/cracked one when I tried to remove it. They sent me a new one at half cost which was nice.

Anything from Dawson precision is great stuff

Do some research in regards to what magazine extensions are comparable with the magwell you are considering. I don't know the XDM line, but for example, if you run Taran Tactical basebaps on some of the glock magwells, the little retaining pin on the basepad will contact the inside of the magwell, possible preventing the mag from fully seating, or causing the mag / basepad to work loose.

Back
Top Bottom