Maine basic laws.

Just recieved my non res LTC.

Ive been carrying for years in MA so i have a general idea of the laws.

Are there any Maine concealed carry laws that may not be very well known or considered "general laws"

Derek

Are there any Maine concealed carry laws that may not be very well known or considered "general laws"

Maine is a no nonsense state, we are upfront and honest people, unlike MA. Most of the laws are common sense and the ones that are not so well known are usually not ones that people get busted for unless it is an addon charge after you have committed a crime.

Be safe and respectful and you will never have a problem.

yes, you can not c.c. at the family reunion if your dating your first cousin.

It's Maine we are talking about, not Texas. So lets keep things civil.

You do not see us Mainers hating on your MA homosexual marriage.

Last edited:
Huh? Maine just voted *for* same sex marriage.

And I said you do "NOT" see us hating on your gay marriage.

So when you move out of MA and buy a house in Maine, you will be all set.

Remember, Maine is big on tourism, we cater to tourists needs.

Last edited:
You should read their booklet and laws to educate yourself.

Be aware that carrying anywhere on Maine SP "campus" is illegal. That one stuck out to me, don't remember much else significant other than IIRC (don't take it as gospel) restaurants/bars that serve alcohol can post and if they do it has force of law (even if you aren't drinking).

You can't carry in establishments licensed for onsite consumption if they are posted.

You can't carry on college campuses.

You can't carry in federal buildings or courthouses.

You can't carry in state buildings or on state property in the "capitol area".

You can't carry on college campuses.

There is no law against carrying on college campuses. There is only a college policy. If a student is caught they will face the discipline of the college. If a citizen is caught they are asked to leave.

You cannot carry on public school grounds that are primary and secondary level.

my grand father lived on Milton mills rd. in western Maine until the day the surveyors came and told him his house was actually in New Hampshire.

so he went to get a new Hampshire l.t.c. They asked him how he felt about the whole deal and he said " this is great news, I don't think I could have taken another Maine winter."

my grand father lived on Milton mills rd. in western Maine until the day the surveyors came and told him his house was actually in New Hampshire.

so he went to get a new Hampshire l.t.c. They asked him how he felt about the whole deal and he said " this is great news, I don't think I could have taken another Maine winter."

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are.

There is no law against carrying on college campuses. There is only a college policy. If a student is caught they will face the discipline of the college. If a citizen is caught they are asked to leave.

You cannot carry on public school grounds that are primary and secondary level.

Not exactly.

§6552. Firearms

1. Prohibition. A person may not possess a firearm on public school property or the property of an approved private school or discharge a firearm within 500 feet of public school property or the property of an approved private school. [ 2009, c. 614, §2 (AMD) .]

Penalty. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class E crime.

Public school definition

24. Public school. "Public school" means a school that is governed by a school board of a school administrative unit and funded primarily with public funds.

Don't state colleges fall under this definition? It doesn't differentiate between secondary and college. Just how I've read it.

§6552 that you quote is found here:

Title 20-A: EDUCATION
Part 3: ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
Chapter 223: HEALTH, NUTRITION AND SAFETY
Subchapter 6: SAFETY

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Asec6552.html

and one step up in the file here: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Ach0sec0.html

§6552 is under Part 3, which clearly states " ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION".

Universities or colleges do not fall under Part 3 or §6552. They fall under Part 5 of Chapter 20-A.

Under Part 5, Chapter 409: DEGREE-GRANTING INSTITUTIONS §10710. Rules

The state board shall, in accordance with section 3, adopt rules necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.

and
Title 20-A: EDUCATION
Part 5: POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION
Chapter 401: GENERAL PROVISIONS
§10009. Regulation of public safety on college and university campuses
2. Nothing in Title 25, section 2011 limits the power of any college or university to regulate the possession of firearms on the property of the college or university.

The state gives the UM the right to make rules concerning firearms. So... here are their rules:
http://umaine.edu/police/crime-prevention/firearms/
Weapons and Ammunition Prohibition:

1. No weapon or ammunition shall be worn, displayed, used, or possessed on campus.

2. Weapons must be stored if on campus under the control of the Chief and in accordance with the policy and procedure of the Police Department

3. The Police Chief of the University of Maine Police Department may grant permission in writing to an individual to possess a weapon or ammunition on campus for instructional purposes and in other special circumstances and under conditions approved by the Police Chief. .

Violation:

Any employee, faculty, student, or other representative of the University of Maine who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and subject to disciplinary sanctions under the applicable discipline process.

Any member of the public who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and asked to comply. If the public member will not comply, the individual shall be removed from campus and subject to all legal penalties, including the criminal trespass provision under Maine Law.

Last edited:
Thanks Niner! I had missed that. Appreciate the fix. Now to set some others straight.

You are welcome. Some of this stuff is hard to work out.

You cannot carry on UM campuses, but it does not have the force of law. It is in some ways like carrying at the Maine Mall. It is private property and they have a it posted at the entry that firearms are not allowed but it does not have the force of law unless they tell you to leave and you refuse, then it is criminal trespassing.

I think the UM system should still be on the list of places not to carry but it needs to be foot noted that it is not a violation of law.

Out of curiosity, did you have to apply in person or just the mail? I was talking about this with someone earlier, I think my uncle got his ME-NR just through the mail.

Interesting on Baxter State Park. Was thinking of going up there next summer to climb Katahdin (again). I'll have to read the link above to the laws. Good question !!

Out of curiosity, did you have to apply in person or just the mail? I was talking about this with someone earlier, I think my uncle got his ME-NR just through the mail.

Interesting on Baxter State Park. Was thinking of going up there next summer to climb Katahdin (again). I'll have to read the link above to the laws. Good question !!

You can get your NR CCW through the mail. The story, from my perspective about the no CCW in Maine State Parks and Baxter State Park goes like this. You could always carry with your CCW permit in ME state parks. The administrators were old timers and pro gun. Then over time the admins became more liberal and less pro gun and they then decided that one of their rules about not carrying a loaded gun in areas where you were not allowed to hunt meant that there was no CCW allowed. People complained, so they re-wrote their rules making it clearer they did not want people with guns in State Parks. The state house said you just cannot go and do that and passed a law making it legal to CCW in State Parks with the permit. However, they did not research the laws well enough. It turns out that because of the way Baxter State Park was set up, it was a seperate legal entity from all the other State Parks in Maine and their administration fell under a seperate title of Maine law so the new law did not apply to them. I am not sure why it was never fixed to include Baxter later on. But now the Dems are back in control of the state house and I doubt it will be a high priority of their agenda.

You can get your NR CCW through the mail. The story, from my perspective about the no CCW in Maine State Parks and Baxter State Park goes like this. You could always carry with your CCW permit in ME state parks. The administrators were old timers and pro gun. Then over time the admins became more liberal and less pro gun and they then decided that one of their rules about not carrying a loaded gun in areas where you were not allowed to hunt meant that there was no CCW allowed. People complained, so they re-wrote their rules making it clearer they did not want people with guns in State Parks. The state house said you just cannot go and do that and passed a law making it legal to CCW in State Parks with the permit. However, they did not research the laws well enough. It turns out that because of the way Baxter State Park was set up, it was a seperate legal entity from all the other State Parks in Maine and their administration fell under a seperate title of Maine law so the new law did not apply to them. I am not sure why it was never fixed to include Baxter later on. But now the Dems are back in control of the state house and I doubt it will be a high priority of their agenda.

Thanks Niner for the info! If it is carried in a lockbox is it OK? I will need to research it. I remember staying at a lean-to at Katahdin Stream and also staying at Nesowadnehunk in tents. It's a bit wild up there in Millinocket! [grin]

Mail "usually" works but give them 4-6 months to get it to you. Last year I gave them 4 months and they hadn't printed it by the time I got to ME on vacation. So I ended up having to drive to Augusta just to pick it up!

Only one woman at ME SP processes them and if she's sick/on vacation/swamped with apps it can take a lot longer than the quoted time.

Thanks Niner for the info! If it is carried in a lockbox is it OK? I will need to research it. I remember staying at a lean-to at Katahdin Stream and also staying at Nesowadnehunk in tents. It's a bit wild up there in Millinocket! [grin]

Being caught CCWing in Baxter State Park is a civil violation and not a criminal one. They will write you a ticket, may take your gun until you leave or some other thing like that. It is not a criminal violation.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec903.html

2. Violation of rules and permits. A person who violates any of the rules of the Baxter State Park Authority or a condition of a permit issued under those rules commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $1,000 may be adjudged.

and

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/#hunting

7. VIOLATIONS:

A person who violates any of the rules of the Baxter State Park Authority or a condition of a permit issued under those rules commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $1,000 may be adjudged. Persons violating other applicable laws within the Park may also be punished in accordance with the provisions of those laws. In addition, persons violating these rules may be required immediately to leave the Park, and the Authority may revoke the privilege of any person who violates these rules to enter the Park for a specified period.

Also, it appears there are parts of the park where the gun ban is exempt. This also answers your question about having a gun in a case.

3. HUNTING, TRAPPING AND FISHING

3.1. Hunting and trapping are prohibited within the Park. Use or possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, sling shot, or air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case or otherwise inaccessible to use. Bows may be transported through the Park if unstrung or enclosed in a case. This Rule does not apply north of Trout Brook and Wadleigh Brook in T6 R9; in T6 R10; or in T2 R9 and in T2 R10 north of the West Branch of the Penobscot River, east to the thread of Abol Stream and west to the West Branch of the Penobscot River. Hunting with dogs is prohibited. In the areas within the Park where hunting and trapping are permitted, the general laws of the State pertaining to hunting and trapping apply, except that moose hunting and baiting any animals for hunting purposes are prohibited.

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting. I don't want to hunt just yet, more like being prepared for those trouble makers we know lie in the Maine woods! :)

...The state house said you just cannot go and do that and passed a law making it legal to CCW in State Parks with the permit. However, they did not research the laws well enough. It turns out that because of the way Baxter State Park was set up, it was a seperate legal entity from all the other State Parks in Maine and their administration fell under a seperate title of Maine law so the new law did not apply to them. I am not sure why it was never fixed to include Baxter later on...

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that the Maine AG also happened to sit on the board of the entity managing Baxter State Park. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom