Maine Non-Resident CCW

Hey Guys/Gals,

For people that have applied how long has it been averaging between the application being received and you getting your license. I know they have 60 days to deny it, but we have 40days in this state (MA) so I am just curious.

I took me close to the limit... can't recall for sure. Nothing like the speediness of NH!!!

My app for Maine renewal went in the mail on October 10, 2006. Still waiting at 41 days.
GC

Unlike NH and some other places, Maine actually sends out NCIC and other data requests on the applicant and waits for the response. That takes a while I guess. On the other hand, though, the folks could not have been nicer, and I have detected none of the anti-gun, anti-people-applying-for-a-permit attitude that you see exhibited in other places.

Mine almost took all 60 days...I called after a month and a half, and the woman told me that everything was in order, but they were just waiting to get some info back from MA [thinking] Needless to say, it came around Day 59 or something like that, but it came.

Mine Arrived Yesterday

I mailed everything on 10/16 and the permit arrived in yesterday's mail. I called last week, left a message, and a very nice woman returned my call. She apologized, saying the Thanksgiving holiday had slowed the process, and to expect it this week. She was right.

I mailed everything on 10/16 and the permit arrived in yesterday's mail. I called last week, left a message, and a very nice woman returned my call. She apologized, saying the Thanksgiving holiday had slowed the process, and to expect it this week. She was right.

I wonder it they left in batches, I sent mine in just a few days before your windwalker, of course I am in Maine right now and I have no idea if I have received mine yet [frown] .

Fee

I just got mine yesturday. 58 Days. I went directly to the Maine G+W unit building in Augusta on my way through back from a client site. The lady in the unit was very nice and explained everything.

Good luck!

FeeBear - I do remember the woman saying she checked through the permits they were processing, so it's possible they batch them. Hope your's is waiting for you.

I guess you learn something new all the time. Even though I sent my application on th 10th of October, my application didn't start until 24th of October (Until my check cleared).

Steve, TTBOMK no New England state reciprocates with any other New England state.

I finally got my Maine License. I know this is probably a dumb question, but I have been bitten by what I thought before. The Maine license is kinda large , shaving it down isn't considered altering it right?

Don't know about ME, but I've been cutting/shaving down my MA LTC for many years.

Sorry for reviving a super old thread... I've been searching and can't seem to find a response.

On the Non-Resident Maine form it says you have to show "Proof of knowledge of handgun safety..."

Can I safely assume that means my copy of the State Police cert I used to get my MA LTC?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I did my application but I'm pretty sure that's what I used. I may have sent the NRA certificate as well.

The State Police cert is fine. Also, if you have a DD214 from the service, that works as acceptable proof of training.

I got my Maine permit today, after 45 days. I applied for my NH permit the same day, and have not received it yet. I called NH, they do theirs in batches, the last batch being 300. The woman said they were running behind, but mine was one of the next 15, and they were waiting for the background check.

Back
Top Bottom