Maine waiting period for new residents

I am going to be moving to Maine this may. I have hunted for years, but never had a firearms permit (I'm a ma fesident). Anyways I remember hearing that there is a 6 month waiting period to purchase firearms once you become a resident. Is it true that I will have to wait six months to be able to purchase a firearm once I'm a resident, or is that just the case to apply for an ltc?

I don't believe that is truth in either case. No permit needed to own up there. You can establish residency in no time at all

I don't believe that is truth in either case. No permit needed to own up there. You can establish residency in no time at all

Oh man I hope that's the case. I'm graduating from college this year and have a job, but because I'm going to be "self employed" due to the nature of my work (financial advisor) I am not provided health insurance from my parent company, John Hancock.

I ask about the switch because I can be covered by my fathers veterans benefits for a while at a discounted rate, so I am trying to figure out when it is best for me to change my residency from ma to me, as well as get any sort of license

Last edited:
Is it true that I will have to wait six months to be able to purchase a firearm once I'm a resident, or is that just the case to apply for an ltc?

I'm not going to bother looking up Maine's laws (that's your homework). But I SERIOUSLY doubt there is any law imposing some waiting period between becoming a resident and buying a gun in Maine.

Establish residency and then go buy whatever you want. It's not like they have retarded laws requiring you to be "licensed" to stock up on guns and ammo. Fill out the 4473, watch the clerk get the OK from the FBI on the phone, pay, and go home with new guns.

Or buy them FTF from someone and then no one from the .gov needs to get involved.

Oh, don't bother asking about FA-10s or "registering" them.

To buy a handgun, all you need is an ID with a physical Maine address, not a PO Box.

Once you have you ME driver's license you will be all set. The first thing you do is go to the DMV and switch. Your car insurance will most likely be a lot cheaper as well. No permit or anything to buy from an FFL. To get a concealed weapons permit contact the town office of where you will be living. Carry permits are not issued by the state but by your local government. Some small towns issue them themselves and some choose to contract with the state police. If you town does it themselves, you will most likely have it in a week or two. If your town contracts with the state police, then if may take 4-6 weeks. They were/are backlogged a year ago but I am not sure where they are now. Good luck and welcome to ME.

Back
Top Bottom