Make your own dirty bird targets

Found this on AR15.com Credit to use Rabidus. Know what I am doing tomorrow night. [smile]

Much cheaper this way.

First is to get a poster board in the color of your choice, brighter the better.
(You can also get a white poster board and spray paint it a bright color, let it dry and put the tape over it too)

Then put 1 layer of glossy packing tape over it.

244b2c083f58fbe9f797b0779ecd1ba5_zps8dd15a90.jpg

Then once your target is completely covered with clear packing tape, spray paint it flat black.

3e12bc8a8067b7781888656b1d3dd54c_zps34936d93.jpg

Spray a bright spot for your aiming point. This poster is 22"x26"

Target below is 300m .223 holes and I could easily see them with my spotting scope.

0E798D6E-2DF0-42C9-B86D-2FDE56CF4EC1_zpsozwuay6l.jpg

what duke in maine did with a printer i gave him was genius, too--wish i'd thought of it! if you have a printer which uses solid ink, you can print targets on top of each other. he said it worked pretty good.

obviously you have to not care about the printer too much as you run the risk of melting the shit off the paper when it goes through the fuser a second time.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/161590-Home-made-shoot-N-C-targets heres a link to a video I posted if you need the visual on how to do it. I love doing this. you can make some big ones for cheap. The flat black paint works thebest for me. I found some damaged by water craft paper cheap at craft store. Walked out with about 30 large pcs for 2$

good thing to is it touches up well with a quick respray.

Last edited:
I'd imagine if you got glossy posterboard you could save a big step. Love the innovative solution though...

I'd imagine if you got glossy posterboard you could save a big step. Love the innovative solution though...

It's glossy so that the paint doesn't get a good bond to it, right? I wonder if the glossy poster board would work as well. Simple enough to test for an enterprising person though... [grin]

Tried my hand at this tonight. 22x28" pink poster board, tape (I think it took 16 or 17 rows to cover), flat black spray paint, flat white spray paint for the target using a stencil.

View attachment 99816

I cut each poster board into 8 7x11" segments. The target stencil is a 6" circle. The bull is 2" and each ring is 1".

I know I put down the black paint a little thick to get coverage. Might be able to use less paint if I was willing to do more lighter coats... but I'm lazy. Base coat plus a touchup coat, then on to the stencil. The target would probably come out nicer if I was willing to let the stencil sit longer before moving it.

My rough math says this is about 24 cents per target, or roughly half what the 8" dirty bird targets cost at wally world, where I got supplies. Had I thought to try the dollar store first, I might have gotten some stuff cheaper (like the tape). I'll try them out hopefully this week.

Here's my second batch. I only needed one coat of black this time, and I was more careful removing the stencil. Also I didn't spray the white as heavy because it's not really necessary.

e7u9u9ev.jpg

here
http://www.pop-n-glo.com/
31.50 a hundred, free shipping

Well, shit. Never heard of them before, thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find supplies to make my own cheaper, under 20c preferably. I'm not putting too much value on my time here because, now that I have the stencil, it doesn't take too long to get these done. The homebrew approach also can make sense if you want some custom pattern.

I wonder if they would give a better price for a large quantity. I not long ago bought 50 packs of seconds from midway for 6.99 a pack. Thats 14 cents a piece

I wonder if they would give a better price for a large quantity. I not long ago bought 50 packs of seconds from midway for 6.99 a pack. Thats 14 cents a piece

They have a 10% discount for NRA members, though they don't seem to have a way to verify it. I'm gonna scope out the nearest dollar store soon and see if I can get the cost of homemade ones down.

Found this on AR15.com Credit to use Rabidus. Know what I am doing tomorrow night. [smile]
I do my mine also with the large poster boards ( find damaged ones, torn, bent and ask for a discount) Post 23 is my latest trial.http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/245520-anyone-shoot-168gr-in-their-garand Trying to do white back ground black bull....white does not cover well but good enough.
I tossed out the wrap for the tape( most expensive item) before I looked to see how much it will cover. The poster boards I never have paid more .40 each for 22"x28". Paint walmart brand 1.19? I have done several poster boards so far on one can. The tape ? I used duck brand. Tried some cheaper stuff i found at ocean state job lot and the paint didnt like to stick to it.... My last batch I found some damage packages of smaller florecent colored paper at a craft store. 25 sheets a little bigger than 8x11 for 1$

They have a 10% discount for NRA members, though they don't seem to have a way to verify it. I'm gonna scope out the nearest dollar store soon and see if I can get the cost of homemade ones down.

How about an NES discount? Or NES "Group Buy"?

Back
Top Bottom