• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mansfield (MA) F&G Protective Assn

MF&G is the closest club to me and I'm thinking - I should join it.
There's two options to apply as I see from the application - sponsored and not sponsored.
The none sponsored option requires the probationary period and I'm not sure about the sponsored one.
Basically I'm looking for som guidelines and insight and it looks like I'm in the right place for it.
Thanks in advance.

MF&G is the closest club to me and I'm thinking - I should join it.
There's two options to apply as I see from the application - sponsored and not sponsored.
The none sponsored option requires the probationary period and I'm not sure about the sponsored one.
Basically I'm looking for som guidelines and insight and it looks like I'm in the right place for it.
Thanks in advance.

No both require a 90 day probationary period when you can not bring anyone to shoot with you as a guest. Basically, abide by the rules and don't create safety violations and you'll be fine.

The difference is that with a sponsor you only have to show up at a members meeting and get voted in. With no sponsor, you have to show up at a BOD meeting and the BOD will sponsor you at the next members meeting (you also have to attend this), so you end up attending 2 meetings. After the members meeting they run the orientation for new members and after that you are given your badge and fob to access the property.

No both require a 90 day probationary period when you can not bring anyone to shoot with you as a guest. Basically, abide by the rules and don't create safety violations and you'll be fine.

The difference is that with a sponsor you only have to show up at a members meeting and get voted in. With no sponsor, you have to show up at a BOD meeting and the BOD will sponsor you at the next members meeting (you also have to attend this), so you end up attending 2 meetings. After the members meeting they run the orientation for new members and after that you are given your badge and fob to access the property.
Thanks Len.
Do you know when is the next BOD meeting ?

Thanks Len.
Do you know when is the next BOD meeting ?

Per the www.mansfieldfish.com website, the next BOD meeting is 5/31 at 7PM.

Next members meeting is 6/7 at 7PM (dinner for $5 is served at 6PM and we socialize until the meeting).

Can someone sponsor a fellow NES member here ? Thats why we are here !

Typically I only sponsor people I have shot with/seen shoot. My criteria is strictly based on range safety, if they act safe on the range, I'll sponsor them.

Last edited:
It's not what I was asking for and your reasoning here is 100% legit.

- - - Updated - - -

I thank you for the thought.

Huh, you mixed in a few replies so I'm confused if your question about when the next BOD meeting was wasn't answered above?

I was also answering another request here. I am not ruling out sponsoring anyone here, but my weekends tend to be busy. I have more availability during weekdays when most folks are working.

Huh, you mixed in a few replies so I'm confused if your question about when the next BOD meeting was wasn't answered above?

I was also answering another request here. I am not ruling out sponsoring anyone here, but my weekends tend to be busy. I have more availability during weekdays when most folks are working.
Sorry for the confusion Len.
Fixed it.
And if you're offering I'm not going say no and will make it work at your convenience.

Sorry for the confusion Len.
Fixed it.
And if you're offering I'm not going say no and will make it work at your convenience.

I've got a bunch of commitments over the next couple weeks (besides business I took on the task of coordinating a roofer and alarm guy for the historical society . . . I'm a BOD member), but send me an Email off NES ~5/17 and I may have a clue about any free time during the week for the remainder of this month.

I've got a bunch of commitments over the next couple weeks (besides business I took on the task of coordinating a roofer and alarm guy for the historical society . . . I'm a BOD member), but send me an Email off NES ~5/17 and I may have a clue about any free time during the week for the remainder of this month.
Will do and thank you.

Finally made it to the range and made use of my membership...Was not disappointed. Thanks for the conversation Lou.

I'm shocked that C-pher never posted a thread about this club, so the "newbie" here will do so. I inaugurated my membership (just joined this month) at Mansfield after doing some work today.

Check out website for some info and nice pictures
http://www.mansfieldfish.com/

Currently only have outdoor ranges: 50 yd and 100 yd facilities and a clubhouse. Indoor range construction is in the works and is anticipated to be complete within 2 years.

It's good club, nice people, was about to make a snarky comment about the indoor range being two years from completion for the past ten years until I saw the original post date of 2006 and the indoor range is no closer to completion than it was then. Smh.

It's good club, nice people, was about to make a snarky comment about the indoor range being two years from completion for the past ten years until I saw the original post date of 2006 and the indoor range is no closer to completion than it was then. Smh.

Actually the indoor range is a lot closer than it was back in '06. Back then there was only a steel backstop. Now there are walls, ceiling and lighting. Small steps that cost some serious money. There is also a building committee of 3 (IIRC) that gave a brief report at the last members meeting. Thinking is that after dues are paid this year, some more work will commence. HVAC (safely) for an indoor range is a huge cost. BR&P updated theirs on the smaller range for $40K about 6 yrs ago, but only due to one of the BOD members donating all labor and getting parts for cost as he's a professional (I think retired) in that field. Estimates BR&P got were closer to $100K and that was an update not a complete new system.

Anyone member of MF&G willing to give their opinion on the club as it is today? How busy does the outdoor rifle ranges get on the weekdays and weekends? I'm reading the rules that it is acceptable to move the firing line from out of the covered shooting stations, assuming every shooter present agrees. Is it practical to ever do this or is it usually too busy?

I like to shoot prone rifle and this rule is interesting to me. Shooting on the concrete around the shooting tables is always a bit tough.

Anyone member of MF&G willing to give their opinion on the club as it is today? How busy does the outdoor rifle ranges get on the weekdays and weekends? I'm reading the rules that it is acceptable to move the firing line from out of the covered shooting stations, assuming every shooter present agrees. Is it practical to ever do this or is it usually too busy?

I like to shoot prone rifle and this rule is interesting to me. Shooting on the concrete around the shooting tables is always a bit tough.

We have two outdoor ranges, 50yd and 100yd. On the 100yd, the firing line can absolutely move downrange and we have a special set of safety lights to accommodate this. When the firing line is moved people will often drive their vehicles downrange to setup on the new "line." All we ask is that common courtesy be observed and if there are other people around, everyone should talk and decide what's best. I've never had a problem with moving the line down range if I wanted to.

On the 50, we typically have a static firing line and move the targets to accommodate. That said, people often shoot prone there by shoving the tables out of the way and laying down bits of carpet over the concrete. Whatever works for you!

For my money, I think it's one of the best, most laid-back clubs around.

We have two outdoor ranges, 50yd and 100yd. On the 100yd, the firing line can absolutely move downrange and we have a special set of safety lights to accommodate this. When the firing line is moved people will often drive their vehicles downrange to setup on the new "line." All we ask is that common courtesy be observed and if there are other people around, everyone should talk and decide what's best. I've never had a problem with moving the line down range if I wanted to.

On the 50, we typically have a static firing line and move the targets to accommodate. That said, people often shoot prone there by shoving the tables out of the way and laying down bits of carpet over the concrete. Whatever works for you!

Thanks for the reply. So the tables are not permanently installed? I'm currently at Braintree where the bench rests are large fixtures that don't move.

Do you often find it difficult to find range space on the weekend, or is it rarely very busy?

The tables are just steel tables and are readily movable. Same with the 100yd range where we have shooting benches that can also move.

I am there usually a few times a week. I've never had to wait for a spot on a table to open up, ever, and 99% of the time there's a good bit of distance between me and my neighbor. Often I'll find I'm the only one there at all.

The tables are just steel tables and are readily movable. Same with the 100yd range where we have shooting benches that can also move.

I am there usually a few times a week. I've never had to wait for a spot on a table to open up, ever, and 99% of the time there's a good bit of distance between me and my neighbor. Often I'll find I'm the only one there at all.

Sounds great. Not that I don't like other people, but it sometimes seems rude to be sprawled out prone on a crowded range. Thanks again for the info, I think I'll pull the trigger on applying for membership.

Thanks for the reply. So the tables are not permanently installed? I'm currently at Braintree where the bench rests are large fixtures that don't move.

Do you often find it difficult to find range space on the weekend, or is it rarely very busy?

To give you some perspective . . .

I taught NRA PPIH on Sunday 4/22, there were 4 people (1 group) on the 100 yd range and 2-3 people on the 50 yd range and I was there all day (no shooting 'til Noon on Sundays). I taught NRA PPOH on Sat/Sun June 2+3 and there wasn't more than a couple of people on the 50 yd range each day. Seems to be typical. Just watch the calendar in case there is an event (Appleseed 2x/yr, Hunter Ed or an instructor teaching a class). Instructors typically use the Instructor (only) range, but if you are teaching a rifle course, they will likely take over the 100 yd range . . . not often and mostly during weekdays (I manage that calendar for the club president).

Mind you the benches on both ranges are very heavy. The ones on the 50 yd range are expected to be replaced as an Eagle Scout project sometime this Summer.

Sounds great. Not that I don't like other people, but it sometimes seems rude to be sprawled out prone on a crowded range. Thanks again for the info, I think I'll pull the trigger on applying for membership.

Glad to have you. NO July meeting, so BOD meeting at the end of June has the authority to vote new members in for this month.

I am a member of both BR&P and MF&G and like both for different reasons/usages.

To give you some perspective . . .

I taught NRA PPIH on Sunday 4/22, there were 4 people (1 group) on the 100 yd range and 2-3 people on the 50 yd range and I was there all day (no shooting 'til Noon on Sundays). I taught NRA PPOH on Sat/Sun June 2+3 and there wasn't more than a couple of people on the 50 yd range each day. Seems to be typical. Just watch the calendar in case there is an event (Appleseed 2x/yr, Hunter Ed or an instructor teaching a class). Instructors typically use the Instructor (only) range, but if you are teaching a rifle course, they will likely take over the 100 yd range . . . not often and mostly during weekdays (I manage that calendar for the club president).

Mind you the benches on both ranges are very heavy. The ones on the 50 yd range are expected to be replaced as an Eagle Scout project sometime this Summer.

Glad to have you. NO July meeting, so BOD meeting at the end of June has the authority to vote new members in for this month.

I am a member of both BR&P and MF&G and like both for different reasons/usages.

Thanks for the info Len. I'm in no rush, I'll probably wait until my Braintree membership is coming up for renewal before making the switch. I rarely use the indoor range at Braintree and now live much closer to Mansfield, so the switch seems like a no-brainer for me.

Back
Top Bottom