• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marines

For any Marines out there or anyone stationed or that worked at Camp Lejeune between 1957 and 1987.
I received a letter informing me that I may have been exposed to contaminated drinking water on the base for the 3 years I was there. Perchloroehtylene and tetrachloroethylene. What ever those are.
On top of that in the last month I was told that my heart is beating an extra 2000 beats a day. I have internal bleeding that they can't seem to find. And I have sleep apnea. (sp) At least my stress test said my heart was healthy. I don't want to ask What next?[thinking]

I was there in 1990... hope they dont extend it.. the perchlorate type stuff I think is the same things they had at Camp Edwards...

Sorry to hear you feel like that ... Maybe they can do something about it if theres any connection

I was there in 1990... hope they dont extend it.. the perchlorate type stuff I think is the same things they had at Camp Edwards...

Sorry to hear you feel like that ... Maybe they can do something about it if theres any connection

+1 I was there in 1992. [thinking] I hope it's not too serious.

For any Marines out there or anyone stationed or that worked at Camp Lejeune between 1957 and 1987.
I received a letter informing me that I may have been exposed to contaminated drinking water on the base for the 3 years I was there. Perchloroehtylene and tetrachloroethylene. What ever those are.
On top of that in the last month I was told that my heart is beating an extra 2000 beats a day. I have internal bleeding that they can't seem to find. And I have sleep apnea. (sp) At least my stress test said my heart was healthy. I don't want to ask What next?[thinking]

Perchloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene are one in the same. Ugh... Perc is nasty stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woburn,_Massachusetts
Anderson v. Betrice/WR Grace was a classic CWA case for a reason. Until you know how much was there, you don't know how likely it could be a factor though.

This is a huge deal at Camp Lejeune.

Somebody was dumping dry cleaning solution illegally and it found its way into the drinking water. Several wells in the Midway Park housing are were contaminated. People drank from those wells for years and years.

In late 2004, I had checked into my new unit and turned over with the out going guy. I was still going through all the publications and other documents he had left me a week later when two lawyers showed up to my office. They were acting on the behalf of the plaintiffs and searching every desk, drawer, and filing cabinet on the entire base looking for documents relating to knowledge (and cover up) of the contaminated wells.

When I first moved to NH last year, I met a nice woman in at the auto parts store. We got to talking and I learned that she had been born at the Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune and lived in the Midway Park housing area in the late ‘60s. I mentioned the water problems to her and my heart sank as she related to me the early deaths of her two brothers to cancer. Recently, her sister was diagnosed with cancer also.

A quick google finds too much nasty shit about this to read without just being crushed.
I wish you the best.

I've got family down there now that have been there for ages and they've never brought it up. Seems like it's been known about for awhile.

Last edited:
http://www.tftptf.com/5801.html

This is shocking. All these Marines and their wives and children are sick and they traced it all back to this housing complexes at the base.

This really is terrible. The personal stories are heartbreaking. [sad2]

I got my letter a week ago forwarded to me through the IRS.
Because HQMC didnt have my address.

I was at Lejuene (Gieger) for ITS in 80 and then was stationed there again from 84-87.
Guess I'll read up on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
86-89 myself. I've already sent the info so they can get in touch with me. I was at Mainside mostly and a few months at Camp Geiger. Just another thing in life to keep it interesting.

Joe R.

Do you have a scan of this letter or know where there might be information posted? I wasn't stationed any where near Lejeune until about '89, but did spend quite a bit of time TAD there prior. Thanks.

Camp Lejeune & it's drinking water.

I was at Camp Lejune for four months in 1993 (Courthouse Bay). Glad to be off that little bit of heaven and the hell hole town right outside the gate, Jacksonville was the worst. Have spent all my time in the Marines since then, 16 years worth, at Cherry Point, Okinawa, Indiana, Iraq, South Carolina, and now Mass.
smitty

I e-mailed this to a buddy of mine the other day.
We were both at lejeune between 80-87.
We were with 2/4 then. (out by c or d street? 2nd marines bn area anyway)
He tells me that he has not been notified yet.

But he shared something with me that he never mentioned before.
His daughter was born at 2 lb 11 oz, and has ms. He said there is no history of any of these ailments anywhere in his or his wifes family.

Interesting.

Ruling limits legal remedies for many exposed to Camp Lejeune pollutants

A federal court ruling in North Carolina this week will have a devastating impact on many of the nearly 20,000 Floridians currently registered with the Marine Corps for their exposures at Camp Lejeune to three known human carcinogens found in the camp’s drinking water, said a man who contracted breast cancer as a result.

Those Floridians are on a list compiled by the Marines. They may have been exposed as far back as 1953, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

“Legally, we are done,” said Mike Partain of Winter Haven, who was born at Camp Lejeune 46 years ago. “The government has successfully found a silver bullet to put an end to legal issues. If this happened in Florida, rather than North Carolina, we would still be legally able to pursue the government.”

Neither the Marines nor the Department of Justice responded to requests for comment.

http://tbo.com/list/military-news/r...ollutants-20141015/?google_editors_picks=true

Very sorry to hear this wilfx. Positive prayers inbound for negative future results .
I didn't get a letter. Guess they forgot I was there.
First agent orange, now this. What the hell is next.

Ruling limits legal remedies for many exposed to Camp Lejeune pollutants

A federal court ruling in North Carolina this week will have a devastating impact on many of the nearly 20,000 Floridians currently registered with the Marine Corps for their exposures at Camp Lejeune to three known human carcinogens found in the camp’s drinking water, said a man who contracted breast cancer as a result.

Those Floridians are on a list compiled by the Marines. They may have been exposed as far back as 1953, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

“Legally, we are done,” said Mike Partain of Winter Haven, who was born at Camp Lejeune 46 years ago. “The government has successfully found a silver bullet to put an end to legal issues. If this happened in Florida, rather than North Carolina, we would still be legally able to pursue the government.”

Neither the Marines nor the Department of Justice responded to requests for comment.

http://tbo.com/list/military-news/r...ollutants-20141015/?google_editors_picks=true

How dos one meet the time requirements when they don't fess up until the time limit has passed. Stupid, convenient ruling.

I can see the government thinking of its military as of fodder but when dependents are considered fodder as well, it gets one to thinking.................... as mentioned, Agent Orange and Agent White and Agent Blue (the last two little known but responsible for a whole lot of killer cancers). Google Agent White and Blue and realize they were also used in Vietnam and lord knows where else.

We were told in '67 that Agent Orange was harmless and to not worry about it.....III Corps Vietnam. Trust your government gentlemen we were told.

I lived in Hubert when I was stationed there 95-00. Our neighbors wife was born and raided on Camp Lejeune. I heard that she had died of some form of cancer, she was probably in her 40's. It was common knowledge that the water was contaminated when I was there. The rummor mill had it that if you were stationed on Camp Lejeune you were good for 10% because of it.

I've got a nexus letter from my oncologist at Dana Farber connecting my cancer to the polluted water at the base.........................................and the VA has lost my paperwork..................................twice.

Back
Top Bottom