Maryland cop gets M-4, mags, badges, baton, and more stolen from his take home car

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/mar...equipment-from-unmarked-police-vehicle-063010

“The concern is we need to get that equipment back, certainly if the rifle is now in the hands of someone that’s not supposed to [have it],” said Melanie Brenner of Montgomery County Police. “It’s unfortunate it happened. Everyone makes mistakes.”

Police say this was clearly against policy for officers to leave weapons and ammunition in their vehicles.

Well, I'm sure if it happened to a non-LEO they would be just as understanding, right?

Right?

I'm sure there's going to be some sort of disciplinary action had against him. Just for the news coverage...and it'll get swept away afterward.

Well, I'm sure if it happened to a non-LEO they would be just as understanding, right?

In Maryland, at the state level the only legal requirement is that guns be stored in a way that children under 16 can't access them. Apparently some counties may also have ordinances on the subject of firearms storage. In other words, if it wasn't a cop, the person probably wouldn't be in any trouble at all, or very minor trouble if they were violating a local ordinance. The only reason this person is getting in any trouble is because they are a cop who's violating agency policy, assuming Mother Goose got the facts right in the story.

I know it's fashionable to get outraged on the internet over cops covering for each other, but this is clearly a case where that didn't happen.

Only real issue here is whether the police M-4 is a select-fire or semi-auto M-4. If it's the later, it's a minor point because it's stolen property facilitated by a police officer not following department policy (if that really IS department policy) - I'm sure millions of people leave hunting rifles in their vehicles over-night every day during hunting season.

If this is a select fire M-4, there's a bigger issue now because there is a prohibited weapon that was released to the black-market by a police officer's poor judgement and he should be punished to ensure no one else allows it to happen.

If this is a select fire M-4, there's a bigger issue now because there is a prohibited weapon that was released to the black-market by a police officer's poor judgement and he should be punished to ensure no one else allows it to happen.

WTF? Dude, anyone with money can get a black market full auto, anywhere in the world, and one with a lot more power than a 5.56 round. Property was stolen by a thief, he didn't allow it. Thieves break into houses and spend hours ripping gunsafes off of their bolts on a regular basis in the US, are the owners allowing it to happen?

Back
Top Bottom