Masapenock/Nipmuc/Southborough...which?

Masapenock Rod & Gun : Milford
Nipmuc Rod & Gun : Upton
Southborough Rod & Gun : Hopkinton

I thought of the Hopkinton club as well....all of these clubs are with 10miles or so of me.

Thinking of joining one of these clubs, any thoughts/opinions? I'm looking for a laid-back place with a minimum of "yahoos", and where I can shoot with/without a range officer breathing down my neck.

I guess I'm looking for a minimum of hassle.

I live in holliston, the club here just has pistol and shotgun, so my rifles would be lonely. Can't have that....

thanks for your opinions,
Shawn

Good gun club.

Shawn. Nipmuck has VERY little in the way of facilities and I think Southboro's range is temp shut down due to a stray bullet leaving their range. Maspenock is pretty good from what I hear but I haven't been there in years.
Another option is Hopkinton Sportsmen's club on Lumber St. in Hopkinton just off main St. and 495. 24 hour card-key access indoor 50 foot pistol range. 100 yard rifle/pitol range and two skeet fields. Trap and sporting clays available. Dues are reasonable and the people are very welcoming. See www.hsasports.com for more info and and application. Skeet/Trap/Sporting is open to the public Sunday mornings and we shoot skeet under the lights on Tuesday nights. We have a pretty active small group of USPSA/IPSC shooters who practice there each Wednesday evening from ~ 5pm to ~7pm.
Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Michael.

I'm a member at Southboro and I've found it laid back. They have good facilities, esp. if you're a shotgunner. Having the outdoor rifle/pistol range closed since what, June? has been a serious pain in the rear, though. I'm not a shottie guy, so I haven't been able to do squat all summer. One of the reasons why I'm looking at joining a second club.

I heard the thing about southboro, shut down since June...that's an eternity.

according to their site masapenock is undergoing some renovations to their outdoor ranges, not sure if those are closed or not.

I was looking at this stuff from the HSA website (some of the outdoor range rules):
are these rules followed?

Semi-automatic firearms are limited to 5 rounds loaded at any time, except when practicing NRA course of fire.

All firing will be done by single loading, with the following exceptions:
Pistols, which may present a greater hazard single loading than using a magazine. Limit five rounds per magazine. Revolvers may load a full cylinder.
Rifles having a design such that single loading is difficult, may be loaded with no more than five rounds in the clip or magazine, which must be removed, if possible, at end of the firing sequence or at any "CEASE FIRE".
Bolt, lever, and semi-auto rifles may be function-fired to verify mechanical reliability at a slow, deliberate rate of fire, with no more than five rounds. Remove clips, magazines, etc., if possible, at end of the firing sequence or at any "CEASE FIRE".

My brothers-in-law are members of fin,fur,&feather in Millis, but FF&F doesn't have a rifle range, where that's mainly where my interests lie.

Hopkinton Range rules.

Those are the current rules and should be followed. Personal experience has shown that many times they are not. [hmmm]

That being said, there is currently a group of members working on a revision of the range rules and I am one member of that committee. [smile]

Michael.

Maspenocks rifle range is undergoing some improvements but it is open. 100 yd range with a covered firing line. They are putting in a new dedicated pistol range which is not open yet. The indoor smallbore (22) range is closed. Doing renovations to address the lead issues. You can shoot fom 9am till dusk. No range officers need to be present. when shooting with others some one is designated the RO. The club has its ups and downs but overall not a bad place. I am going on 5 years there. Go to www. Maspenockrodand gun.org

Member at Hopkington for 2 years, and like it a lot. The 24 hr pistol range was a big draw for me, as I do use it a lot at odd hours.
Rifle range has 25/50/100 yd target positions.
Neither range is ever very busy. Never even had a time with 3 shooters at one time.

All ranges will have rules, and most of them are there just to keep the range safe and keep the yahoos out.

The 5 rd limit has never bothered me that much. Loading and firing 30 rds in under a minute is only fun for a while, and only if you have the money for a lot of ammo. If you want to shoot more (and have a lot of fun), then join IPSC or IDPA.

But I do believe that the idea of a "run away" is a bit outdated with today's quality of firearms. So, Michael, I vote for changing this rule too.

It's not the fact that I can't burn through 30 rounds in under a minute, I guess it's the assumption that I can't practice self-restraint with a fully-loaded 30 round mag that irks me a bit.

The 5 round limit....I guess I can deal with it.

Is it in place because of "yahoos", or to reduce the impact of a weapons malfunction such as a SKS slamfiring?

I had assumed yahoos...

It's not the fact that I can't burn through 30 rounds in under a minute, I guess it's the assumption that I can't practice self-restraint with a fully-loaded 30 round mag that irks me a bit.

The 5 round limit....I guess I can deal with it.

Is it in place because of "yahoos", or to reduce the impact of a weapons malfunction such as a SKS slamfiring?

I had assumed yahoos...

That was probably the reason it was first done. We need to be very careful to keep all rounds within the range and do not want anyone "just blasting away".

Back
Top Bottom