Southborough R&G and Hopkinton SA

I'm a resident of Southborough an am looking to join one (or maybe both) of the clubs. I've been around the area for years but haven't had free time to pursue the hobby (2 small kids tend to steal that time). For Southborough, I know that two sponsors are required. I don't know any members of the club so what is the suggestion to obtain sponsorship? Any members of the clubs above on the forum? Any reason to not join both? Thanks, Eric

No reason not to join both. If you feel like can make to Hopkinton at 1ish, stop by the clubhouse basement - I;ll be in there doing some work on the facility.

For Southborough, I know that two sponsors are required. I don't know any members of the club so what is the suggestion to obtain sponsorship? Any members of the clubs above on the forum? Any reason to not join both? Thanks, Eric

Regarding Southborough Rod and Gun Club... One way to meet members and look for sponsorship would be to show up at a monthly meeting (7:30 PM, 3rd Tuesday of the month.) Also, I believe Sunday trap at 1 PM "at the top of the hill" is open to non-members as well.

Many members of both clubs are on this forum. Post up some times that you are free and I'm sure you'll find folks to show you around. Also, look on the web page of the clubs. I know that Hopkinton has an online calendar which shows when events are held. Skeet/Trap is Sunday morning. There's folks that shoot regularly on Wednesday nights for Bullseye and USPSA in the indoor range, etc'.

Great. Thanks a lot. Rob, I'll Ty to stop by today. It may be a little after 1, depending on kids naps. Is there anything special i need to do to get in (havent been before)?

I reached out to the Southborough R&G and I'm planning on attending the annual meeting on the 15th, so that will get me started.

Thanks for the help!

I'm a member at both and will be more than happy to bring you around. Great folks at either place. In my opinion you can't go wrong with joining both!
-Brian

Not to slam HSA, they're a good group, but since you have kids, I will say that SRGC is very family friendly, and in a couple of years ( faster than you think!) the Junior Programs at SRGC are going to be an option. We currently have Junior rifle (winter) and Junior Trap (Warmer weather).

Hope to see you at the annual meeting, get there early for the meal.

Not to slam HSA, they're a good group, but since you have kids, I will say that SRGC is very family friendly, and in a couple of years ( faster than you think!) the Junior Programs at SRGC are going to be an option. We currently have Junior rifle (winter) and Junior Trap (Warmer weather).

Hope to see you at the annual meeting, get there early for the meal.

What he said.

Are there any Southborough members that are planning on being around tomorrow (21st)? I'd love to stop by and see the facilities. Thanks.

I'm looking at both of these. I've heard lots of good things about both so I'm not sure which way to go.

- Looks like HSA membership includes a spouse membership? SRGC would need separate membership if she wanted to go without me?
- Looks like HSA prorates initial membership but SRGC does not? Not really a big deal either way.
- From posts in this thread, SRGC seems to have more family activities.
- They look about the same distance from me. Not to hard to get to either from the Pike/I495/Rt 135.

Maybe I could join both at some point but trying to be budget conscious for now.

I want to acknowledge that these places exist because of the sweat and effort of current and former members. I'm not trying to do a cold business calculation decision or create a list of positives/negatives, dump on one or the other, etc.

So, any other advice?

Visit both.

Get a feel for the places.

Take a look at the posted activities. See the Events tab here Southborough Rod & Gun Club

Come to a monthly meeting ( Guests are welcome at SRGC meetings, I'd presume, though I don't know as I'm nota member there that HSA does likewise) to find out what's happening.

If you want the nickel tour, we have Trap and Skeet Thursday nights at 6, and Sundays at 1. There are people that will show you around.

If you have kids, I'll say that SRGC is very family friendly - both my kids are there (one more than the other), and are "accepted" as part of the club (now 14 and 15). There is Junior Rifle, Junior Trap, and when kids are physically and mentally able to do it, they can play with the big people ( at Trap, for instance).

Not smashing HSA in any way - I've always been treated graciously when I've visited, but I do like SRGC.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom