Mass. out-migration study. Everyone is leaving!

I think the larger concern will be or is, what type of "wage earner "is moving in vs. what is moving out. I'm assuming the term migration includes everyone.
We escaped back in 2008. We were a dual income family then. We became a single income after escaping. We lived better on a single income, 40% lower household income, than we could as a dual income family in MA.
Still not at the same income level as we had with two income in '08. Still living better.
No way we could afford to move back to MA on a single income. Besides, we have no desire to move back to cold winters.

I myself will be leaving 5K of constantly increasing taxes on a few acres with well, septic and no trash pickup or dump. Most of it goes to schools and now that kids are gone, more money for nothing IMHO.

I expect SC to be about 1/4 to 1/3rd of that once we buy property there, that's with a house on it. If we buy land only and wait to build...litterally will be less than a hundred dollars a year.
Wow.. I had town water, sewer, and trash pick up. But the water bills kept going up and up!

You have illustrated how you could be burned. Your example also assumes that all of the land comes out of current use. Not just an acre or two. Your example is a valuable point as a worst case scenario.

But here is how you could build a home and not be burned. You have 20 acres in current use that has an assessed value of $150k. You break off an acre for 1/2 acre of lawn plus drive way.

1/20th of 150k is $7500 with a penalty of $750. But let's assume a much worse case. Figure the value of the acre is 20k. 10% of that is $2k. The rest is unaffected.

Even if our 20 acres has a cost of $300k. You could make the case that the value of the acre is still $20k. Since 1/20th of 30k is $15k.

Even if we "worst case" that and figure the value of the acre at $30k. That's $3000.

Your worst case assumes all the land comes out of common use. Which is not realistic.

I covered that

Or sometimes, if there is well over 10 acres, they can carve out a small lot for just the house, leave the rest in current use. You still get to live in the middle of the huge lot, its just 2 different lots.

Thanks, we have a 9 year old and my wife doesn't want to move her away from her friends and school. Plus our work, friends and families are all here on the north shore so if we do cross the border we can't go too far. My wife is afraid she'll be isolated up there, she's a home town girl and has never lived anywhere else but it's getting crazy congested and overpopulated down here and we're both sick of it. We want to upgrade from our current house but everything in our town is crazy expensive. The anti 2a stuff in MA is the other 50% of my motivation to get out, but she doesn't really care about that, she's not into guns. We'll see what happens.
Newfields is the next town north of Exeter. They have their own elementary school, K-5. Then they attend a middle school in Stratham and high school in Exeter.

Friend of mine moved there in 2005. Housing prices are quite high but a discount compared to some similarly-affluent MA towns. Real estate taxes will be north of $6,000.

Newfields is the next town north of Exeter. They have their own elementary school, K-5. Then they attend a middle school in Stratham and high school in Exeter.

Friend of mine moved there in 2005. Housing prices are quite high but a discount compared to some similarly-affluent MA towns. Real estate taxes will be north of $6,000.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I'm in a 3 bedroom, built in 2012, metro-west. Taxes are $12k.

Back
Top Bottom