Mass. out-migration study. Everyone is leaving!

Better late than never. Good luck with your move.....if it happens.
Thanks, we have a 9 year old and my wife doesn't want to move her away from her friends and school. Plus our work, friends and families are all here on the north shore so if we do cross the border we can't go too far. My wife is afraid she'll be isolated up there, she's a home town girl and has never lived anywhere else but it's getting crazy congested and overpopulated down here and we're both sick of it. We want to upgrade from our current house but everything in our town is crazy expensive. The anti 2a stuff in MA is the other 50% of my motivation to get out, but she doesn't really care about that, she's not into guns. We'll see what happens.

The anti 2a stuff in MA is the other 50% of my motivation to get out, but she doesn't really care about that, she's not into guns. We'll see what happens.
Mine wife was the same way, until the people around her get rob and shot.she carry a 9mm now .women can change their attitude toward guns, if you put her in a bad area for a few hours lol

Last edited:
Any of you guys have a recommendation for a town to look at? School system is a top priority along with overall quality of the town. So far our list is Kingston, Kensington, Hampton, Exeter, Newton. Don't really want to much farther north or west, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, do any of these towns in that area have city water/sewer or gas piped in from the street?

Thanks, we have a 9 year old and my wife doesn't want to move her away from her friends and school. Plus our work, friends and families are all here on the north shore so if we do cross the border we can't go too far. My wife is afraid she'll be isolated up there, she's a home town girl and has never lived anywhere else but it's getting crazy congested and overpopulated down here and we're both sick of it. We want to upgrade from our current house but everything in our town is crazy expensive. The anti 2a stuff in MA is the other 50% of my motivation to get out, but she doesn't really care about that, she's not into guns. We'll see what happens.
How’s your wife gonna like it when your daughter is in a class of 50 kids, 5 white kids with working parents, 45 illegal invader freeloaders.

How’s your wife gonna like it when your daughter is in a class of 50 kids, 5 white kids with working parents, 45 illegal invader freeloaders.
What town does he live in? Unless it's Lynn or Salem, I really doubt that is the ratio. Somerville has a ratio like that even though it is over 80% white due to them being all young adults living 5 to an apartment and not having kids, so the school system is 70% Hispanic. But for most of the North Shore, it is pretty damn white. Sister in law is in Manchester by the sea and their kid's class is like 95% white.

What town does he live in? Unless it's Lynn or Salem, I really doubt that is the ratio. Somerville has a ratio like that even though it is over 80% white due to them being all young adults living 5 to an apartment and not having kids, so the school system is 70% Hispanic. But for most of the North Shore, it is pretty damn white. Sister in law is in Manchester by the sea and their kid's class is like 95% white.
Not sure where he is, I was just making a wild generalization…..but maybe not all that wild.

The congestion I'm sick of has nothing to do with immigrants. It's 98% people moving in to be close to Boston, they are currently taking old commercial properties and converting them to apartments. We also have rt1, rt128 and 95 run through the town, so the increasing population of the other towns affects our local traffic. They're also constantly cutting down woods and building 1.5 million dollar houses driving up the real estate prices, pricing out a lot of the locals. The difference in average home prices from 5 years ago to now is astounding.

Any of you guys have a recommendation for a town to look at? School system is a top priority along with overall quality of the town. So far our list is Kingston, Kensington, Hampton, Exeter, Newton. Don't really want to much farther north or west, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, do any of these towns in that area have city water/sewer or gas piped in from the street?

Look at the tax rate on whatever town you are looking at and see when they last assessed the properties. We ended up in Sandown which had a high tax rate but the taxes on the house we bought were not too bad and the Mass town we left had been raising taxes enough that we didn't feel like we were doing that bad by moving. However, a year after we moved in, they re-assessed the whole town and doubled the valuation on our house. Our taxes went up by another 4k overnight. School system is sucking us dry. 75% of our tax bill is allocated to the school system and the kicker is we have no school age children.

Look at the tax rate on whatever town you are looking at and see when they last assessed the properties. We ended up in Sandown which had a high tax rate but the taxes on the house we bought were not too bad and the Mass town we left had been raising taxes enough that we didn't feel like we were doing that bad by moving. However, a year after we moved in, they re-assessed the whole town and doubled the valuation on our house. Our taxes went up by another 4k overnight. School system is sucking us dry. 75% of our tax bill is allocated to the school system and the kicker is we have no school age children.
2x on the valuation but 4x on the property tax? That's nuts.

The congestion I'm sick of has nothing to do with immigrants. It's 98% people moving in to be close to Boston, they are currently taking old commercial properties and converting them to apartments. We also have rt1, rt128 and 95 run through the town, so the increasing population of the other towns affects our local traffic. They're also constantly cutting down woods and building 1.5 million dollar houses driving up the real estate prices, pricing out a lot of the locals. The difference in average home prices from 5 years ago to now is astounding.
Same up here…minus the highways and traffic. It’s not regular NH rednecks moving in most of the time either….

Dropped my wife off at the Logan rental car center. Sumner Tunnel is closed again. I try to go left to go through the tunnel leaving Logan, Statie steps in front of me and directs me north (I’m headed south). I ask him what he wants me to do, I need to hit 93 south. “Do your best to get out of this city”. This place is a f**c king nightmare. 2 hours to get home. They are directing traffic out of Logan and just pointing you north. Congestion is an understatement

2x on the valuation but 4x on the property tax? That's nuts.
No it wasn't 4x increase, it was a 4k ($4,000) increase They slightly more than doubled the valuation but did lower the rate a smidge, which they were sure to point out but the net affect was still a $4,000 increase in our tax bill. They also did this in November with a notice that the extra tax was due in early December. Real sweethearts. Many people in town are pissed and there is a group exploring options for addressing this, especially the exorbitant school allotment. Not holding my breath for relief there.

This is a concern I have about moving to NH. No prop 2-1/2. Of course, my town has passed a couple of overrides in recent years, so I'm getting f***ed here anyway, 😂.

One and 1/2 years later, still no regrets. Property taxes in Chelsmford went from $3200 to $7200 in a 15 year period. That was for less than a quarter acre. I pay $8K on 4.5 acres in town I live in in NH.
My MA property taxes were almost 5K on 1.88 acres.
There was no city water main, no city sewage main, no natural gas main, the street litter was ridiculous from the worthless fat fvcking slobs throwing their home commute fast food meal residue out their windows before they got home so they wouldn't get yelled at by their spouses instead of just bringing it home with them and putting it in a trash can.

My Kentucky current property taxes are about $600 a year on 110 acres with homestead and farm exemptions.

I have city water, very reliable electricity (that was run 1000 feet back from the road, 3 poles, 2 transformers for free) and telephone, and cable which I don't use. There's an occasional bottle or can on the road and the county prisoners pick up what might be on the main roads a few times a year. The roadsides are mowed about 4 times a season.

I myself will be leaving 5K of constantly increasing taxes on a few acres with well, septic and no trash pickup or dump. Most of it goes to schools and now that kids are gone, more money for nothing IMHO.

I expect SC to be about 1/4 to 1/3rd of that once we buy property there, that's with a house on it. If we buy land only and wait to build...litterally will be less than a hundred dollars a year.

I myself will be leaving 5K of constantly increasing taxes on a few acres with well, septic and no trash pickup or dump. Most of it goes to schools and now that kids are gone, more money for nothing IMHO.

I expect SC to be about 1/4 to 1/3rd of that once we buy property there, that's with a house on it. If we buy land only and wait to build...litterally will be less than a hundred dollars a year.
Don't wait too long, buy as soon as humanly possible.

Mass has always been a great place to work. There are lots of high paying jobs in the Life Science, Defense, and IT industries. Lots of them.

The shift to at least partial at-home work for most of these people means that doing that hour commute from southern NH is no longer a big deal, since you are only doing it once or twice a week.

Southern NH is filling up with Ma**h***s at a rate where it frightens me for the future of NH politics. In short, many aren't moving far away.

Just a note to anyone who is considering buying land in NH sooner rather than later. NH is similar. If you buy land over 10 acres, you can put it into "current use". Whatever that is. It doesn't matter to me because I'm paying about $60/yr to carry the land I own in NH until I'm ready to build.

Just a note to anyone who is considering buying land in NH sooner rather than later. NH is similar. If you buy land over 10 acres, you can put it into "current use". Whatever that is. It doesn't matter to me because I'm paying about $60/yr to carry the land I own in NH until I'm ready to build.
The catch is taking it out of current use
GETTING OUT OF CURRENT USE• There is no buy-out provision. Once the land is accepted, it is in forever and the status is passed to subsequentowners.• Owner must physically change the use of the land to a non-qualifying use, or through sale or other disposalmeans, create a parcel less than 10 acres.• Only the changed portion comes out, the rest remains in current use if it is still 10 acres or more or meetsother criteria.

PENALTY: The land use change tax due to the town is 10% of the full and true value (non-current use value) ofthe changed portion as assessed by the town at the time of the change. The rest of the land remains in current useif it still qualifies. The payment of back taxes is NOT the penalty. The town will bill for the penalty.Penalty is assessed when:• The land use is physically changed; only the acres changed are assessed. The remainder stays in current useexcept for roads and utilities to approved developments and land needed to fulfill density requirements forzoning.• The size no longer conforms (i.e. less than 10 acres. The new owner is responsible for the penalty when landis transferred, not when it is just subdivided).• Topsoil or gravel is removed and sold. Removal for landowner’s use is allowed for forestry or agriculture.

So if you have 10 acres and want to build a house, you have to divide the lot, cut out an acre or so for the house. Now neither lot can be in current use as one has a house and the other is under 10 acres. Now you have to pay 10% or the value of both lots, as buildable lots. Best have a few pennies saved up. Of course if the lot is big enough and and what you cut out for the house is small enough, you can keep some in current use and minimize the cost on the other. Still need to pay your way out.

Try no kids. Ever. 😂

So if you have 10 acres and want to build a house, you have to divide the lot, cut out an acre or so for the house. Now neither lot can be in current use as one has a house and the other is under 10 acres. Now you have to pay 10% or the value of both lots, as buildable lots. Best have a few pennies saved up. Of course if the lot is big enough and and what you cut out for the house is small enough, you can keep some in current use and minimize the cost on the other. Still need to pay your way out.
Is this the scheme to take land out of use for Farming,Hunting,And other recreational use?
So it makes it useless to anyone who wants to be the next owner, Why would anyone buy the property ?

Is this the scheme to take land out of use for Farming,Hunting,And other recreational use?
So it makes it useless to anyone who wants to be the next owner, Why would anyone buy the property ?
If the number work developers buy the land. I think the key is to have in in current use for a LONG time. Purchase price is low, taxes are low for a long time, but the buyout is still 10%.
Or sometimes, if there is well over 10 acres, they can carve out a small lot for just the house, leave the rest in current use. You still get to live in the middle of the huge lot, its just 2 different lots.

It doesn't work on the short term or smaller lots. I've heard of people inheriting land, thinking the will live on it. Just to find they can afford the 10%.

You get dinged on both only if the piece you carve out for the house reduces the rest below 10 acres. Moral of the story, buy 11+ acres.

Also. If I'm building a $500k house, I'm ready to absorb a few thousand in tax hit. It's not great. But it comes at a time when you are preparing to spend many orders of magnitude more on a home.

You get dinged on both only if the piece you carve out for the house reduces the rest below 10 acres. Moral of the story, buy 11+ acres.

Also. If I'm building a $500k house, I'm ready to absorb a few thousand in tax hit. It's not great. But it comes at a time when you are preparing to spend many orders of magnitude more on a home.
A lot of up aren't looking to spend 500K on just the house, not including the land. And at 10% of the value, if you're spending 500K on the land is likely 250K+ so that's $25K, not a few grand, and that's on top of the increase in taxes.

You have illustrated how you could be burned. Your example also assumes that all of the land comes out of current use. Not just an acre or two. Your example is a valuable point as a worst case scenario.

But here is how you could build a home and not be burned. You have 20 acres in current use that has an assessed value of $150k. You break off an acre for 1/2 acre of lawn plus drive way.

1/20th of 150k is $7500 with a penalty of $750. But let's assume a much worse case. Figure the value of the acre is 20k. 10% of that is $2k. The rest is unaffected.

Even if our 20 acres has a cost of $300k. You could make the case that the value of the acre is still $20k. Since 1/20th of 30k is $15k.

Even if we "worst case" that and figure the value of the acre at $30k. That's $3000.

Your worst case assumes all the land comes out of common use. Which is not realistic.

Back
Top Bottom