Mass. regs: .38 vs .357 ??

As per the Massachusetts hunting abstracts:

"... Rifles chambered to take
larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire ammunition
and pistols and revolvers larger than .38 caliber are
prohibited
between the hours of 1/2 hour after
sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise (night time)."

In this instance, would a .357 be classified as larger than a .38? I'm thinking a .357 loaded with .38 rounds would satisfy this requirement in a broad sense, being that the intent is to comply with the regulation. Thoughts?

Technically, .357 is smaller than .38 in the way they write it. Based on the math, not reality. Larger/wider as opposed to more powerful.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't ride the fence on it. If you want to be sure stick with a .38 with .38.

I was told that the .357's are OK.
They are NOT LARGER than a .38 so it's not an issue.
You can hunt Bear with a .357 in MA too :D Good luck with that one [smile]

its kind of a grey area in the law and i would watch your ass being in MA if you carryed your 357 in the woods with you. as far as the bear hunting regs go a 357 is only allowed to be in use during "black bear season" and in the zones that allow bear hunting.

its kind of a grey area in the law and i would watch your ass being in MA if you carryed your 357 in the woods with you. as far as the bear hunting regs go a 357 is only allowed to be in use during "black bear season" and in the zones that allow bear hunting.
It is technically smaller than a .38 and definitely not larger than. No grey area there.
You can only use the .357 during the first black bear season in Sept..
From the 08 abstracts
Zones 1-9 ONLY
Hunting only with rifle .23 cal. or larger, muzzleloader .44-.775 cal., bows with 40 lb. or greater, or revolvers .357 Magnum or .40 cal. or larger. Handguns permitted in September season only ---SHOTGUNS PROHIBITED.

It is technically smaller than a .38 and definitely not larger than.

Huh? Actually, they have the same diameter. That's why you can shoot a .38 out of a .357.

The true diameter of the projectile is the same. A .38 bullet is not .38" in diameter. Check your reloading manuals.

Back
Top Bottom