Mass Resident- no LTC- can I own a gun in NY?

Relationships are irrelevant. Interstate private transfers are prohibited by the federal GCA.

As a non-licensed Massachusetts resident, you are unable to acquire a long gun from a dealer out of state, since you are unable to acquire a long gun under the laws of your home state, and such transfer (long gun from FFL to in-person out of state resident) are required to be in compliance with the laws of both (1) the state where the transfer is occurring and (2) the laws of the transferee's state of residence. (People have been subjected to federal prosecution and been convicted for such violations in the past)

Even though Boston makes it relatively difficult to get an LTC-A without restriction, you should be able to get an FID or LTC-A (with restrictions) except for some extra delays and steps (e.g. the Moon Island qualification for LTC applicants/ renewals). Either of those (an FID or restricted LTC) would be sufficient to allow you to lawfully acquire a long gun (an FID will limit you to rifles and shotguns which are not "large capacity weapons") and maintain it in your home and transport it to a target range. That would meet your stated desires and you would have the convenience of being able to have the rifle/shotgun at home where you can take more steps to ensure that it is secure.

Ok understood and thanks for the clarification. I don't want to apply in Boston because in the next year or two we are definitely moving, so if I stay in Massachusetts I do not want to be locked into 6 years of a restricted license, which as absolute guarantee for me living in Boston. I know many instances of individuals being locked into their restricted license because often Boston refuses to prematurely expire said license (so the individual can re-apply in green town). I would rather wait it out as much as that kind of sucks.

Ok understood and thanks for the clarification. I don't want to apply in Boston because in the next year or two we are definitely moving, so if I stay in Massachusetts I do not want to be locked into 6 years of a restricted license, which as absolute guarantee for me living in Boston. I know many instances of individuals being locked into their restricted license because often Boston refuses to prematurely expire said license (so the individual can re-apply in green town). I would rather wait it out as much as that kind of sucks.

That makes sense. However, it's not a totally hopeless situation.

One option that might be desirable is to apply to Boston for an FID. An FID will allow purchase/possession of (non-large capacity) rifles and (non-large capacity) shotguns. When you eventually move to a "green town" some day, file the change of address paperwork related to the FID. When you're settled into your new residence outside of Boston, and feel ready to do so, apply to your new, green, town for an LTC-A, at your convenience. :)

Len thank you for the reply...Ok so got it- can't legally transfer to someone unless it's legal for them to own in their state.

But Riddle me this- What are the laws regarding possession of a rifle in new york for an out of state resident?

Lets asssume A- my brother gives me the rifle unofficially- I solely leave it in New York... (in New York rifles are not registered), so what's the deal there?

What if I bought a rifle at a gun show in new york? Because I am not fedarally prohibited, would driving to the range, or going hunting be legal?

Do the New York rifle laws ONLY pertain to new york residents?

I hope you understand my confusion...

If you have a hunting license in ny you may be able to posses long guns.

My understanding, you will need a license in NY.

Unless you own property in NY, they will not issue a non-resident license.

1-518-474-8390 NY Safe Act Hotline
If you would like to ask a question.

I have spoken to them as well as the State Agency.
They are helpful and more than willing to take the time to answer your questions.

Been a few months since I called, I recommend calling.

That makes sense. However, it's not a totally hopeless situation.

One option that might be desirable is to apply to Boston for an FID. An FID will allow purchase/possession of (non-large capacity) rifles and (non-large capacity) shotguns. When you eventually move to a "green town" some day, file the change of address paperwork related to the FID. When you're settled into your new residence outside of Boston, and feel ready to do so, apply to your new, green, town for an LTC-A, at your convenience. :)

That's a pretty cool idea. Is the FID process way easier/faster than the normal application which can take almost a year start to finish?

Except, I believe there are no suitability concerns with obtaining an FID (i.e., they are shall issue).

Back
Top Bottom