• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts' gun registry

Ladies and Gents,

I had an uncomfortable experience today. My brother is a police officer, and from time to time I pop in to his sector to have a coffee with him on his breaks. I did just that today, and due to the coffee shop being a mob scene, we sat in his police vehicle to enjoy our cups of joe. While in there, I asked him to run my vehicle's license plate in order to see if any other police officers had been running my plate recently.

When he pulled up my info, it was pretty standard; name, address, height, weight, skin color, eye color, and also that I had a license to carry concealed weapons, class A, unrestricted. This is where my stomach went into knots: when he clicked the LTC-A portion, a list of all the firearms I have purchased in Massachusetts populated on the screen, along with all corresponding makes, models, calibers, and serial numbers. I knew Massachusetts tracked firearm transfers, and I know that nominally the bureaucrats claim the information isn't used to make a "gun registry", just a "transfer registry", but that screen sure as shit looked like a "registry" to me.

Again, I'm sure nobody here is surprised by this, but it was discomforting to see the information being used as a de facto registry without even offering an excuse, reason, rationale, or other erstwhile explanation.

I hate this state. I can't wait to leave. A few more years and I'm New Hampshire bound.

Yup, not new news, but it doesn't make it any less concerning.

I've read on here that even if you were to get rid of those guns, get more, then get rid of those, they would ALL show up. So the same exact gun could be listed under 4 people if that's how many times it has been transferred. Assuming of course it was done in MA and registered.......Do I have that right?

I heard this recently in another thread. I think the dispatcher told them over the air what firearms were registered to the person.

Pretty scary shit.

Sad but true reality we put up with here in the people's republic. Hell, if you live in an apartment/condo building and they get a call, even to a different apartment than yours, the responding officers are notified of an LTC holder residing the building. Also be real careful with that story. Your brother could be in a world of shit for running your plates w/o a valid purpose.

I've read on here that even if you were to get rid of those guns, get more, then get rid of those, they would ALL show up. So the same exact gun could be listed under 4 people if that's how many times it has been transferred. Assuming of course it was done in MA and registered.......Do I have that right?

That is what I heard as well.
I think it will take a human to go through the records and see what is still owned and what was transferred.

Someone will chime in and tell us more.

This is a good reason to keep all your fa10's handy.

Your brother could be in a world of shit for running your plates w/o a valid purpose.

My guess is that nothing will ever come of it unless someone asks about. My understanding is that the new in-cruiser vision systems run plate recognition software and run the plate of every vehicle within view, pointing out to the officer any issues such as expired registration/license/inspection/insurance.

Unfortunately it's probably only a matter of time before this is done across the country. Once again treating the common American who is guaranteed "the right to bear arms" like some kind or terrorist that needs to be watched with their every move.

Think of them as a badge of freedom.
Wear them on your sleeve...

$(KGrHqYOKpME3tfpzupFBN9m285tL!~~0_12.JPG

I hope so. We want them to have bad data in this situation.

My guess is that nothing will ever come of it unless someone asks about. My understanding is that the new in-cruiser vision systems run plate recognition software and run the plate of every vehicle within view, pointing out to the officer any issues such as expired registration/license/inspection/insurance.
i saw two cruisers in torrington CT a few days ago, cameras on all four corners, when they read my wifes car plate it comes back to my wife, no carry permit or firearms. if i ran my suburban into town, their computer would reboot. [laugh] they love to cruise the walmart parking lot, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

My understanding is that the new in-cruiser vision systems run plate recognition software and run the plate of every vehicle within view, pointing out to the officer any issues such as expired registration/license/inspection/insurance.

It'll also show if there are any outstanding warrants on the registered owner and if they owe any back excise tax or child support too.

So next time I get pulled over I can expect 9 cars to respond with guns drawn, or on the flip side get a hi five and an invite to the range.
i got pulled once in bloomfield CT, i told this new **** that i have a 22 magnum revolver, two back cars showed up like it was a crime scene

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget, prior to October 1998 all transfers were done on the old cardboard blue card. Apparently some got lost in the transmission as I am still listed as owning several firearms that I got rid of over 25 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom