Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

most clubs won't let shoot a shotgun, machinegun or highpower rifle on the indoor range. you can on the loeb range. love those fudd rules!

Shotgun: slugs only. If you shoot buck or bird shot, someone will have a stern talk with you.

But yea, Loeb is a pretty good range. My only complaint is that there should be sound absorbing material on the ceiling and walls for at least the first 20 feet, it can get wicked loud in there.

Other than the Loeb I mean it's a FUDD club!

I still love them though.

Al, have you ever used anything but the Loeb Range? I've used Fazio when Loeb is closed. I always make sure I have some Std Velocity and a couple of .22's when I go just in case. I think I've been a member for about 5 years now and have never been there during daylight. Works great for me.

Al, have you ever used anything but the Loeb Range? I've used Fazio when Loeb is closed. I always make sure I have some Std Velocity and a couple of .22's when I go just in case. I think I've been a member for about 5 years now and have never been there during daylight. Works great for me.

i use the McLaughlin and Summa range.

One friend needed a new fob and kept being told to call back next Sunday for over two months .

Really? When I lost mine less than 2 months ago I just showed up during office hours, gave them $10, and they gave me a new fob. It was super easy.

Pro-tip: put some scotch type tape over the number on the fob, it'll protect it from getting worn off in a week.

I find the 200 yard range (Summa) to be too fussy, (I go to another club for highpower), but the 50' pistol (Pope), five-stand, the upstairs rimfire/air range (Fazio), and the 50Y rifle/pistol (McLaughlin) ranges are quite nice.

Loeb rocks.

Really? When I lost mine less than 2 months ago I just showed up during office hours, gave them $10, and they gave me a new fob. It was super easy.

Pro-tip: put some scotch type tape over the number on the fob, it'll protect it from getting worn off in a week.
That was me.

Yes they were dicks about re-qualifying for the outdoor ranges. I said it's absurd and I'm not joining if I have to do all that ****ing nonsense again.

So they gave me my fob. The woman there was nice but the older gentlemen was a ****.

FYI I'm a sweetheart to people who treat me fairly.

I find the 200 yard range (Summa) to be too fussy, (I go to another club for highpower), but the 50' pistol (Pope), five-stand, the upstairs rimfire/air range (Fazio), and the 50Y rifle/pistol (McLaughlin) ranges are quite nice.

Loeb rocks.

+1

McLaughlin is very nice and 9/10 times I go, it's empty. Pope is very nice as well and is usually empty. I qualify for the summa next Sunday @9:45am. We'll see how it goes. My rifle is sighted in at 50yd via th McLaughlin so I should be g2g.

That was me.

Yes they were dicks about re-qualifying for the outdoor ranges. I said it's absurd and I'm not joining if I have to do all that ****ing nonsense again.
Are you saying you had to requalify because you had you fob replaced?

Supposed to qualify for the Summa range today. Anyone know how I can tell if it's cancelled? Office doesn't open until 9:30 and qualification is 9:45am Trying not to drive up there just to turn around and go home.

Well, 6 of us qualified today on the Summa @200 yards. After an orientation of the range and its rules, we had to put 2-3rds on paper. Didn't matter if you weren't in the black. Happy to say though that I put one round in the "x" ring and two in the 9 ring about 1/4 apart. [smile]

Anyone happens to have John Myer's from MRA cell or email, or is he on this forum by any chance?

Thanks.

What sort of shooting do you like to do? What're you criteria for "stack up"?

Just your standard pistol shooting, nothing fancy. I have been going to Original Bobs in Salsbury for a few months now because it's a public range. Now I am looking to join up somewhere since I want to go shooting often. I know MRA has outdoor and rifle ranges but thats not a huge selling point for me.

My criteria would be accessibility (both are open 24/7 i believe and within 20 minutes of my house), rental options, pistol range quality, and guest policy (would my guest have to pay, who i can bring etc)

Just your standard pistol shooting, nothing fancy. I have been going to Original Bobs in Salsbury for a few months now because it's a public range. Now I am looking to join up somewhere since I want to go shooting often. I know MRA has outdoor and rifle ranges but thats not a huge selling point for me.

My criteria would be accessibility (both are open 24/7 i believe and within 20 minutes of my house), rental options, pistol range quality, and guest policy (would my guest have to pay, who i can bring etc)
The indoor ranges are 24/7, ranges are constantly updated and maintained. There are no rental options as far as I know. Guests are unlimited for family members, and only 3/year for others. The place can be crowded on certain days and hours.

Nobody rents pistols at private clubs. Only the pay ranges that have full service FFL like MFS, AFS, Bobs, MFL, Granite State, etc. do this.

Also be very aware that the MRA rules are likely to be far more strict than whatever little controls exist at Bobs, so keep that in mind as well. This is a good and a bad thing. Make sure you read the rules before you sign on, otherwise you're going to end up posting a whiney thread on here about how you can't get over how it sucks, etc. Due diligence on your part can prevent lots of future butthurt.

Then again the "20 minutes from my house" thing is going to limit your options severely anyways if that's a big deal.

-Mike

For indoor pistol ranges MRA,s range goes out to 75 feet, mystic valises goes out to 50 feet but has a nicer target system. Mystic valley has more action shooting support. Over all rules seem similar,both can be crowded. Depending on your location Danvers has a brand new very nice indoor range

Also depending on where you live, woburn sportsmen might be in your driving range, 50 foot indoor range, they support action sports and I believe they are looking into action pits. Again fairly strict rules apply. Strong youth programs if you have kids, the same with Danvers

Back
Top Bottom