Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven't been to Harvard at all this year, and next year it will probably be for matches that do not require membership. I still keep my membership there because I like the place and people, and want to support the club where I have had many good times.

Scuderia

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is anyone else considering not renewing their membership for the next year? I'm slightly on the fence (60% renew, 40% lapse) simply because ammo prices are so ridiculous that I cannot bear to shoot anything. However, I do support MRA (and their operating costs) and want to be ready to shoot after things return to normal. I'll probably renew, but the thought crossed my mind due to the current situation. Anyone else?
I thought about it but decided to keep it active. Would I have to go through orientation and testing again? Qualify for outdoor ranges again? Even if I didn't , I'm still trying to do SOME shooting (mostly .22) so it made sense to renew.

pinetrees

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Is anyone else considering not renewing their membership for the next year? I'm slightly on the fence (60% renew, 40% lapse) simply because ammo prices are so ridiculous that I cannot bear to shoot anything. However, I do support MRA (and their operating costs) and want to be ready to shoot after things return to normal. I'll probably renew, but the thought crossed my mind due to the current situation. Anyone else?
I will renew no matter if I can't go due to ammo crisis.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am shooting much less lately due to the issues with ammo availability and cost, I still go occasionally. I appreciate everyone's budget is different but for me the cost is well worth it even if I don't go very often. A couple of pricey beers every month or 24x7 access to a range? Easy decision.

BostonFJ40

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I thought about it but decided to keep it active. Would I have to go through orientation and testing again? Qualify for outdoor ranges again? Even if I didn't , I'm still trying to do SOME shooting (mostly .22) so it made sense to renew.
You have to totally start over if you let your membership lapse.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there Sunday and they said the waiting list is now out to Feb 21...kind of crazy. I liked the indoor range, couldn't really see much else as it was dark.

MSant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
if it just ammo prices, pick up archery. arrows are reusable. prices go up and down. it is what they do. once they come down, you will need a place to shoot

kevblah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
im a new member at MRA (august 2020) and i think its a nice little club

24 hour access to the indoor 75ft range, where u can even shoot centerfire rifles

they have a requirement that u be a member for 6 months before u can take a qualification to use the outdoor 50 and 100/200 ranges

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't overly impressed with the people at MRA but my only other reference point is Andover. When I got a tour a MRA it was with an older woman and man and he just kept talking over her, even when I asked her a question directly she would start and he would just but right in. I didn't like their answer on winter months either, he just said it's community-driven and most people don't remove snow so the outdoor ranges are not open unless some clears it. Andover has snow blowers and he said they're usually cleared in a day or two. The clubhouse in MRA also just felt old (I know it is) but what else are they doing with their dues?

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I wasn't overly impressed with the people at MRA but my only other reference point is Andover. When I got a tour a MRA it was with an older woman and man and he just kept talking over her, even when I asked her a question directly she would start and he would just but right in. I didn't like their answer on winter months either, he just said it's community-driven and most people don't remove snow so the outdoor ranges are not open unless some clears it. Andover has snow blowers and he said they're usually cleared in a day or two. The clubhouse in MRA also just felt old (I know it is) but what else are they doing with their dues?
It’s a terrible club. You should look elsewhere.

paulatkin73

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a member or someone on the waitlist who wants to keep the crowds down.
i live in MA for 23 years now, and i have an absolute certain feeling that for an absolute majority of any types of private clubs here, of any types of activities - they all are aimed at reducing their membership count, how it was brilliantly stated above - ' do not need an XXX as a member and seems it would even be better off without him'. :) it is pretty much universal.

even poor tom brady could not play damn golf at his country club, for how long? and if he was not worthy, then who the hell the rest of us are... :)

all kidding aside, it is what it is. heh, found a link, fits a bill 100%.
"applicants typically must be sponsored by two current club members and provide the admissions committee with testimonials from seven other people with whom the applicant has a personal relationship. Applicants also have to attend a cocktail reception at the club with members of the admissions committee "

Last edited:
Top Bottom