Massachusetts>Texas

Massachusetts, despite the state government's current positions and laws, does have some things going for it. For instance, look at the ranges all around the city. A lot of other urban or suburban locations you have to drive 45+ minutes to find a decent outdoor range, whereas in MA there's one practically every five miles. Doesn't apply to rural spots where you can find a natural berm in your back yard, but if you have an urban job and don't want an hour+ commute, and 45 minutes the other way to get to the range, MA really isn't so bad.

I'll concede that Mass perhaps is better for carrying, but what about those lawful citizens who can't carry due to the whim of a police chief? So hows that better that you can't carry at all?

Do I have that right? I lived in CT, so never went through the MA protocol/application process but from my readings on here, the town Chief has sole say in who can carry and who can't, based on whatever. Is this correct? Restricted LTC?

Massachusetts, despite the state government's current positions and laws, does have some things going for it. For instance, look at the ranges all around the city. A lot of other urban or suburban locations you have to drive 45+ minutes to find a decent outdoor range, whereas in MA there's one practically every five miles. Doesn't apply to rural spots where you can find a natural berm in your back yard, but if you have an urban job and don't want an hour+ commute, and 45 minutes the other way to get to the range, MA really isn't so bad.
A lot of ranges around the country are wicked Fuddy too. I went to one in Michigan that blew my mind with the dumb rules.

I'll concede that Mass perhaps is better for carrying, but what about those lawful citizens who can't carry due to the whim of a police chief? So hows that better that you can't carry at all?
No one is saying Mass is perfect, just that some aspects of our law are actually very good compared to most other states.

The call it *concealed* carry for a reason ;-)

No slapping the six shooters on the bar when grabbing a burger at Chilis while in Texas. Done and done.

Texas has open carry.

Signs have the "Force of Law". You can encounter "No Open Carry" signs. I have never seen a "No Guns" allowed sign. I have seen the "51% Alcohol" sign. Texas is friendly. Guns are a way of life there.

Go there, get to know people, find out for yourself.

If you go there in a bright shirt acting like a stupid tourist .... well, you can guess,

I'd thought I'd share some sad reality that despite all the "Texas is so gun loving" propaganda, the nitty gritty is that it's actually far WORSE than Massachusetts gun laws. Their ironically named 30.06 and now 30.07 signage laws dictate up to a 10 year prison sentence for simply walking into an establishment that doesn't wish to have guns. And the signs are literally everywhere. How is a state gun friendly with this severe of a punishment possible? It isn't....FWIW with a permit and walk into a bar in Texas, you're doing more time than being without an LTC and carrying a post ban hi cap mag and shouting MAGA in Massachusetts....

And since I'm flaming Texas, the only thing "bigger" here is the fast food and insane Cult churches...
NH is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

That binding signage bullshit notwithstanding, in terms of gun laws, TX is not worse than the DPRM.... For now... But it is worse AFAIC. I'm a white guy from New England. I don't do heat. Dry, sweltering heat in the interior or humid, sweltering heat if your near water. No thanks! Also, if immigration policy is not reversed and the wall is not built, TX will go full retard democrap and become Mexico Northeast in the near future. Im good on all that shit. I'll stay in MA until I can afford to move to a less communistic place in the northern hemisphere.

Lot of good input here, glad I took the time to read through it, thanks! I have a cousin in Arlington, works in D/F-W. he has four single handgun biometric safes spread around his house, each car has one, and he has a few home defense shotguns. This seems to be the norm. The gun / household ratio seems to be pretty high, but the limited carry locations restrictions is a huge drawback.
And, not to change the subject but there are traffic cameras literally everywhere and they send tickets in the mail along with a link to a video showing the violation in question! That sucks!

I saw very few limitations in the form of 51% alcohol. The ONLY other sign I saw limited open carry. Concealed was fine.

Subscribing to hearsay is a slippery slope. My experience in Texas is from working there a month at a time, many times in the last 5 years.

Considering the context of "firearms", I might suggest pragmatic and well informed is in our best interest.

That binding signage bullshit notwithstanding, in terms of gun laws, TX is not worse than the DPRM.... For now... But it is worse AFAIC. I'm a white guy from New England. I don't do heat. Dry, sweltering heat in the interior or humid, sweltering heat if your near water. No thanks! Also, if immigration policy is not reversed and the wall is not built, TX will go full retard democrap and become Mexico Northeast in the near future. Im good on all that shit. I'll stay in MA until I can afford to move to a less communistic place in the northern hemisphere.

Thats a big reason why I moved from Texas. Go ask 10 people where there from and 8 of them are from California or some other shithole, and they came to Texas because the housing is cheap and the economy is booming there. Now the place has gotten too expensive for the native Texans who now have trouble affording the property taxes on their modest home.

Technically, so does Mass. However, I would not advise it in either state.

Different reasons to not advise the practice:
MA - panic the people, cops called, LTC revoked (probable, probable, possible)
TX - tactically stupid (well nanny nanny boo boo - eff you too)

I do like the idea of Open Carry, though. It would be great protection in cases where: a) It got hot and I want to remove my cover garment, b) it got cold and my wife/daughter needs my coat, c) my shirt rides up and I'm now open carrying.

I guess the Cliff Notes version of this thread could go:

Gun purchasing - TX wins
Overall gun culture - TX wins
Gun Use - TX wins
Gun Carry - MA wins

So I guess 1 out of 4 isn't too bad.

Do I have that right? I lived in CT, so never went through the MA protocol/application process but from my readings on here, the town Chief has sole say in who can carry and who can't, based on whatever. Is this correct? Restricted LTC?
Yes. Chief can apply "Restrictions"

Thus thread is an example of why some folks have difficulty. There is a lack of understanding of the basics of the law.

Some make representations regarding things they really know nothing about.

I am starting to belabor my point or at the very least, "over sell it " in an effort to help some here.

Texas passed an open carry law. it's on the books. If for some reason LE asks you a question, be despectful and answer the question. Be respectful. You won't have a problem.

FYI, if the "prevailing attitude" I hear here is how any of you do things, then, expect a problem.... SMH.

Texas passed the law a couple of years ago that specifically states open carry is legal.

To my knowledge, Massachusetts law doesn't address it one way or another.

What Massachusetts does have for a law addresses a public disturbance. And likely your open carrying in Massachusetts will generate a public disturbance. You do the math.

Either way if you are approached by law enforcement, be respectful.

If I see someone getting raped and stabbed, you know what I would do in MA? ... I would call the cops as I walk the other way. That is not the right thing to do, but will you guys pays several thousand (maybe $100K) to defend me, while also paying my mortgage and then give me a job? ... assuming they dont find me guilty of helping someone and throw me in jail.

sad but true. In MA, my guns are my last resort to not die/not let my family die. I'm not risking spending the next 20 years in the pokey to save someone who most likely votes for gun grabbers who would take away the very gun that could be saving their ass....nope that shit will stay right on my hip.

sad but true. In MA, my guns are my last resort to not die/not let my family die. I'm not risking spending the next 20 years in the pokey to save someone who most likely votes for gun grabbers who would take away the very gun that could be saving their ass....nope that shit will stay right on my hip.

The best way I've heard it described is "ok, you're sitting in prison because you pulled (aggravated assault)/used your firearm in MA...was it worth it ? Would you do it again ?". For all of us the answer is "yes" if it meant saving your life or the life of your loved ones...everyone/everything else...the answer is clearly "no".

I was with a techie doing a project in WA somewhat north of Seattle. He OC'ed everywhere. When we went to an Applebees type place for lunch and they offered us a table in the bar area, he calmly said "Sorry, can't, I'm armed" and the only reaction was to seat us in the main dining area.

Way I see it, there’s about a 90% chance that anyone I’d save would turn out to be a liberal. Not worth the battery usage on my cell phone, I’ll go find a pay phone to call for help. They sure as heck aren’t worth the cost of ammo to protect them.

With suitability in ma, any argument that ma is better for carrying is false. Your CoP can find you unsuitable for carrying anywhere (or for anything else for that matter.)

As far as private property owners and their rights. I guess you can operate your business the way you want unless you're a baker and a gay couple wanders into your store. If .gov is going to intervene and force private property owners to respect some people's rights, it must intervene to enforce everyone's rights.

Way I see it, there’s about a 90% chance that anyone I’d save would turn out to be a liberal. Not worth the battery usage on my cell phone, I’ll go find a pay phone to call for help. They sure as heck aren’t worth the cost of ammo to protect them.

You'll be walking a log way. When was the last time you saw a pay phone?

@minininjer recently found one in the SMITHSONIAN!

Can you even call 911 collect?

Back
Top Bottom