ME Open carry legality question.

I am a NH resident. NH has a law similar to Maine that "Loaded while in vehicle" open carry is considered concealed carry. Recently, the NH supreme court ruled that it's only considered concealed if it's loaded, so you can open carry in a vehicle if you remove the magazine. Loaded means "Bullets in gun".

Does anyone know if Maine has had a similar case, and what was the outcome?

I am going on a trip to Maine soon, and I plan to open carry, but I hate taking off my pistol and storing it in the trunk/rear compartment of the vehicle every time I get in / out of the vehicle. It is much easier to remove the mag and put it in the mag holder.

Any information and/or advice is appreciated.

Oh, by the way, carrying a loaded handgun without a license in a vehicle in NH is NOT concealed carry. It is carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a license. Please stop spreading this nonsense.

Relax. Yes, NH has a pistol/revolver license and not a conceal carry license/permit. Yes, state law prohibits the carry of a loaded handgun in a vehicle specifically, and not the conceal carry of a firearm in a vehicle. If for someones own personal sake, they want to think of vehicle carry as conceal carry, knowing conceal carry requires a license, then the result is exactly the same. It's an argument in semantics at that point.

Relax. Yes, NH has a pistol/revolver license and not a conceal carry license/permit. Yes, state law prohibits the carry of a loaded handgun in a vehicle specifically, and not the conceal carry of a firearm in a vehicle. If for someones own personal sake, they want to think of vehicle carry as conceal carry, knowing conceal carry requires a license, then the result is exactly the same. It's an argument in semantics at that point.

Which makes it nonsense. Let's stop spreading this nonsense. [rolleyes]

Which makes it nonsense. Let's stop spreading this nonsense. [rolleyes]

The two things have no difference in law. None. So arguing they are different is nonsensical.

Arguing semantics over his use of the word "considered" when the two are treated exactly the same ("No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person") is itself nonsensical.

or, just stop being dicks to people asking a simple question.

No one was being a dick to anyone, until now. [rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

The two things have no difference in law. None. So arguing they are different is nonsensical.

Arguing semantics over his use of the word "considered" when the two are treated exactly the same ("No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person") is itself nonsensical.

Nonsense. [rolleyes]

Maine has a law against carrying any loaded gun in any motor vehicle (ATV's, Snowmobiles, etc. etc.) or anything being pulled by a motor vehicle. The exception is if it is a handgun and you have a CCW. The law defines loaded as having a round in the chamber or cylinder and if semi-auto have a round in a mag and the mag in the gun, even with the chamber empty. So that means 1) chamber empty 2) the mag is either loaded and not in the gun or the mag in in the gun and not loaded.

This law is a fish and game law. I have no idea what NH law is or who is being a dick so I will not comment on that. You can read the law yourself right here. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec11212.html

The two things have a big difference in many people's minds, which is why I regularly see questions about how to carry "openly" in a car (dashboard, passenger seat, whatever). That completely ignores the fact that it is not true that "in a car is considered concealed".

It's not "considered concealed", and concealed or open make no difference. So, please stop using that nonsense terminology. Tell people the correct answer: that you must have a license to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle, whether it's concealed or not.

Back
Top Bottom