MI - City Lifts Ban, Allows Open Carry At Arts Festival

A ban on open carry of weapons at the upcoming Arts, Beats & Eats festival was narrowly reversed after impassioned speeches for and against firearms went on for hours at Monday’s Royal Oak City Commission meeting.

>snip<

City Commission members followed state law by removing a clause in the contract with Arts, Beats & Eats that forbid the open carrying of weapons. It was a close 4-3 vote with Commissioners Terry Drinkwine, Jim Rasor, and David Poulton voting to keep the gun ban and face the music in court.

>snip<

Commissioner Michael Andrzejak criticized residents for talking about how they felt instead of discussing the law.

“Of all the comments we heard, many of the residents missed the point,” Andrzejak said. “The bottom line is it’s a matter of what the law is.”

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2010/08/16/news/doc4c6a05d589624632720002.txt

Dan wrote on Aug 17, 2010 1:06 AM:

" I have a concealed weapons permit and own a handgun. I have a driver's license and own a car. I have a license to practice law, a license to fish and a boating license. When I go to a movie, I do not bring my fishing pole. When I take my wife to dinner, I do sail my boat to the restaurant. Similarly, when I attend events where I listen to music and eat wonderful food, there is no reason to bring my gun. It is outrageous and irresponsible that this ban has been lifted. I cannot see any reason why this event would require deadly force, no more than this event would require patrons to use of fishing poles or watercraft. Sadly, I will not permit my family to attend this event. The unthinkable will happen. "

WTF.

Dan wrote on Aug 17, 2010 1:06 AM:

" I have a concealed weapons permit and own a handgun. I have a driver's license and own a car. I have a license to practice law, a license to fish and a boating license. When I go to a movie, I do not bring my fishing pole. When I take my wife to dinner, I do sail my boat to the restaurant. Similarly, when I attend events where I listen to music and eat wonderful food, there is no reason to bring my gun. It is outrageous and irresponsible that this ban has been lifted. I cannot see any reason why this event would require deadly force, no more than this event would require patrons to use of fishing poles or watercraft. Sadly, I will not permit my family to attend this event. The unthinkable will happen. "

if it was a movie about fishing, then I'd think about bringing my pole ...but seriously somethings not right with this man

Notice that he never indicated that he wouldn't attempt to practice law at a movie, restaurant or other place. Hardly surprising, since he's adamant about imposing his personal prejudices under the threat of law on everyone who might want to attend the festival.

Ken

"The unthinkable will happen"

Because having a bunch of law-aiding citizens who happen to be carrying will, of course, always provoke a deadly shootout. Happens all the time. Those guns make you crazy you know.

Open carry at an arts festival? That has to be right up there with the stupidity of Meleanie Hain, open carrying a subcompact to her kids soccer practice.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone pick up on this part?

Commissioners removed the weapons ban, but they also passed a resolution asking the state to amend its gun law to allow cities to make their own rules about whether guns are allowed in municipal buildings.

Great, they got the ban lifted, but they set themselves up for another, one that the justices in Heller said was OK too. Some victory.

I'd like to pepper spray the toilet seats of some of these open carry activists.

Commissioners removed the weapons ban, but they also passed a resolution asking the state to amend its gun law to allow cities to make their own rules about whether guns are allowed in municipal buildings.
Not gonna happen. State pre-emption is strong.

Ohio has a home rule article in its constitution, giving cities and towns great lattitude in self governance. When CCW passed here, it included statewide firearms law pre-emption (meaning all local gun control ordinances including big city AWBs were vaporized instantly). Several cities and towns moaned and whined all the way to the state SC, where they were pounded into submission.

Since I am pretty sure Michigan does not have such a strong home rule tradition, I suspect that petition will fall on deaf ears when it reaches Lansing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna happen. State pre-emption is strong.

Michigan already has a preeption law on the books, and case law to back it up. They're using this as an excuse to push for the preemption law to be modified, more likely removed entirely.

Back
Top Bottom