Milled MAK-90 "386"

Milled-receiver AKM variants are rarer than their stamped counterparts and the former are getting increasingly hard to find. As I understand it, there were several different manufacturers of Chinese MAK-90 imports, the most familiar being Norinco and PolyTech. This rifle has the number "386" surrounded by an oval shape stamped into the left side of the receiver (not visible in the photo). This mark supposedly refers to PolyTech factory number 386 where the rifle was built.

milledMAK-90Left.jpg

As you know if you've followed my previous posts, I'm pretty partial to wood furniture and "classic" looks and so I replaced with after-market Choate Dragunov stock with a refinished set of wood furniture. See "before" pic at bottom.

MilledMAK-90Right.jpg

MilledMAK-90before.jpg

Last edited:
Looks much better with the Choate stock on it. I have a stamped receiver Polytech and found more stock options for it than the milled receiver. I think the milled models originally had 2 tangs but one was removed during conversion. Its easy to see where they neutered the Mak rifles for US importation. But still they're Chinese military grade receivers with better parts and machining than the Norinco models and thats good enough for me.
I could be wrong but I don't think the 922r rules apply to yours since you kept a similar style stock on it.

922(r)

That's right. Since I maintained the thumbhole configuration, it's not a 922(r) issue.

Back
Top Bottom